Mary8

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Found at Jews for Jesus.org years ago (and it is now online)  "From notes by Bill MacDonald, born Scotland 1917-2007, Plymouth Brethren, prolific writer, President of  Emmaus College.  wikipedia)

Parallel                                         Joseph  and  Jesus
BELOVED OF HIS FATHER Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children (Gen. 37:3a). This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased (Matt. 3:17b).

ENVIED AND HATED WITHOUT A CAUSE And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more they…hated him… (Gen 37:4). …the chief priests had delivered him for envy (Mark 15:10).< They hated me without a cause (John 15:25b).

A ROOT OUT OF DRY GROUND …he was the son of his [Jacob’s] old age (Gen. 37:3b). …he [Messiah] shall grow up before him…like a root out of a dry ground (Isa. 53:2a).

HE FORETOLD THAT ONE DAY HE WOULD RULE … your sheaves stood…and made obeisance to my sheaf (Gen. 37:7). …ye [shall] seethe Son of Man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven (Matt. 26:64b).

ACCUSED OF BEING A DREAMER (beside himself, deluded) And they said to one another, Behold, this dreamer cometh (Gen. 37:19). …they said, He is beside himself (Mark 3:21b).

SENT BY THE FATHER TO SEEK THE BROTHERS’ WELFARE Go…see whether it be well with thy brethren (Gen. 37:14a). I will send my beloved son… (Luke 20:13b).

WENT WILLINGLY AND SOUGHT TILL HE FOUND THEM And Joseph went after his brethren, and found them… (Gen. 37:17b). …Lo, I come, to do thy will, O God (Heb. 10:9b).< He came unto his own… (John 1:11a).

REJECTED AND CONDEMNED TO DIE they conspired against him to slay him (Gen. 37:18b). We will not have this man to reign over us (Luke 19:14b).< But they cried, saying, Crucify him! Crucify him! (Luke 23:21).

STRIPPED OF HIS CLOTHING …they stripped Joseph out of his coat…that was on him (Gen 37:23b). And they stripped him (Matt. 27:28a).
THROWN INTO A PIT (alone, forsaken) And they took him, and cast him into a pit (Gen. 37:24a). so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Matt. 12:40b).

SOLD FOR SILVER INTO THE HANDS OF GENTILES …they sold Joseph to the lshmaelites twenty pieces of silver; and they brought Joseph into Egypt (Gen. 37:28b). and they bargained with him [Judas] for thirty pieces of silver (Matt. 26:15b).

RAISED FROM THE PIT …and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit (Gen. 37:28a). …he rose again the third day according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:4b).

BECAME A SERVANT And Joseph was brought down to Egypt…and he was in the house of his master, the Egyptian (Gen. 39:1-2). I am among you as he that serveth (Luke 22:27b).< …took upon him the form of a servant (Phil. 2:7b).

EVERYTHING HE DID PROSPERED And…the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand (Gen. 39:3b). and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand (Isaiah 53:10b).

RESISTED TEMPTATION The temptation by Potiphar’s wife (Read Gen. 39:7-12). For such an high priest was fitting…who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners…(Heb. 7:26).< …[he) was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin (Heb. 4:15b).

FALSELY ACCUSED The Hebrew servant, whom thou hast brought unto us, came in unto me to mock me (Gen. 39:17-18). At the last came two false witnesses, And said… (Matt. 26:60b, 61a).

NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS And Joseph’s master…put him into the prison, a place where the king’s prisoners were bound (Gen. 39:20a). …there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left (Luke 23:33).

PROMISED DELIVERANCE TO A CONDEMNED MAN Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thine head, and restore thee… (Gen. 40:13). Today shalt thou be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43b).

FORETOLD THE FUTURE ACCURATELY And it came to pass, as he interpreted to us (Gen. 41:13a). Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he (John 13:19).

PROVED TO BE A GREAT COUNSELLOR …Forasmuch as God hath shown thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art (Gen. 41:39). and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor… (Isa. 9:6b).

PROMOTED TO HONOR AND GLORY AND GIVEN A NEW NAME And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See I have set thee over all the land of Egypt (Gen. 41:41). (See also Gen. 41:45a.) …God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a new name which is above every name (Phil. 2:9).

ALL PEOPLE COMMANDED TO BOW TO HIM and they cried before him, Bow the knee (Gen. 41:43b). That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow (Phil. 2:10a).

PROVIDED FOR ALL IN NEED And all the countries came…to Joseph to buy grain (Gen. 41:57a). …I am the bread of life; he that cometh to me shall never hunger (John 6:35a).

HIS PEOPLE DID NOT RECOGNIZE HIM And Joseph knew his brethren, but they knew not him (Gen. 42:8). …Have I been such a long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me…? (John 14:9a).< But their minds were blinded (2 Cor. 3:14a).

HIS BROTHERS WERE TROUBLED WHEN THEY MET HIM …be not grieved nor angry with yourselves (Gen. 45:5a).v They shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn…and shall be in bitterness… (Zech. 12:10b).

ALLOWED HIS BROTHERS TO SUFFER A PERIOD OF TRIBULATION Read Gen. 42:6-44:34. it is even the time of Jacob’s trouble (Jer. 30:7b).< For then shall be great tribulation (Matt. 24:21a).

REVELATION AND RECONCILIATION I am Joseph…whom ye sold…God hath made me lord of all…come…unto me… (Gen. 45:3b-9). And so all Israel shall be saved;…as it is written…and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob (Rom. 11:26).
                        ..............fair use for education and discussion purposes.........

Edited by Mary8
  • This is Worthy 1