Mary8

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

.Typology of Barak, Deborah, Jael, Sisera, Jabin king of Canaan - A Story Depicting the End Times
[Following I will add what I hope is better explanation.   Then I will put a line of *** where the older material commences.

Barak and Deborah. the Victorious Church
The story of Deborah is much like that of the church. She receives wisdom from God.

Barak is like the Lord Jesus, a general, already proven great in battle. He tells her he will not go to battle unless she accompanies him (so the Lord desires that the church will fight the spiritual forces with His help and wisdom).

Deborah is married to Lapidoth (his name means torches), but is willing to go to battle with General Barak, and Jesus has told us we must put Him first before husband, mother, father, etc. Lapidoth seems to stay home.

Note that Deborah (her name means 'a bee' or 'her speaking') sings of victory (she is told to 'awake, awake, utter a song') with Barak, whose name means 'lightning.'

Barak is asked to "Arise,... and lead thy captivity captive") because all the forces under Sisera (with 900 iron chariots) have been killed.

Deborah foretells that the head of this army, Sisera, will be slain by a woman.

Sisera is like Antichrist, Satan incarnate, and he will flee down to the plains of Israel and be finished off there.

Jael is like the Jews, living in the plains of Israel (and her husband is away).

The enemy, King Jabin, is like Satan.

Notice that Deborah is singing victory songs, but she is not at the place when the captain of the enemy is slain by Jael's nail! Deborah is not involved in any way.

Notice also Deborah's song about "the governors of Israel who offered themselves willingly," and about "ye who ride white asses," "that sit in judgment." Songs pointing to Jesus, our Victorious Lord, surely!

In a downpour occurring in the story of Deborah and Barak, which turned the outcome of the battle against the enemy and sent its leader fleeing we see a picture of the way God will bring down the enemy strongholds in the heavenlies and defeat Antichrist at the Valley of Armageddon. I think this downpour occurs at the time when the Lord gathers His saints.
I think the church, like Deborah, will be singing of the Lord's victory before the death of the enemy Antichrist. It appears that the church in

Heaven will know the enemy is being defeated, just as Deborah did.

We are told in Judges 4:14, "the Lord routed Sisera, and all his chariots, and all his host, with the edge of the sword before Barak, so that Sisera alighted from his chariot, and fled away.... Barak pursued.... Howbeit Sisera fled away on his feet."

The word which the Lord speaks and which destroys the enemy is compared to a two-edged sword in the book of Revelation. And here in the book of Judges the word says the Lord routed Sisera.... with the edge of the sword.

The Plain of Megiddo. The battle of Deborah and Barak took place near the Plain of Megiddo.

Jael is like Israel, living out in the open area south of Megiddo, which seemed to Sisera like the place to which he should flee. Jael is the cause of his death, giving him "milk" when he asked for water. Scriptures are compared to milk by St. Paul, and here I believe we are being shown that Jerusalem will give the enemy "milk" (Scriptures) in the last confrontation with him.

In Isaiah 22:23 we read, "I will fasten him like a nail in a sure place" in a description of the one on whom God will lay the key of the house of David, who "shall open, and none shall shut, and he shall shut, and none shall open," in the book of Revelation.

Antichrist's defeat at Armageddon seems to be comparable to this story of Sisera and Jael.

Here is another paragraph about Deborah, from Warning which I wrote 23 April 1988:  Perhaps my favorite is that Deborah is a picture story of the victory of the church going up through the heavens.
Barak/lightning is the ready general, even as the Lord (who wants His church beside Him as He brings down the enemy army).

Deborah is shown singing of victory and songs that sound like praises to Jesus ("lay down.... life; them that ride on white asses) even before the head of the enemy is slain! Every man of the evil army is dead.

The Lord gave the victory through an outpouring rain!

Sisera is like the Antichrist and goes down to the plain in the north of Israel, and Jael, like Israel, will be the cause of his downfall. Milk could be Scripture, and I think the nail is to be her realization that Messiah is Jesus! (I think Isaiah speaks of the nail.) During this, the church is in heaven, like Deborah, singing up over the defeated demon hordes that have had dominion in the heavenlies in the past.

When I see only faint comparisons in typology, without a large amount of detail, it is particularly hard to describe or explain. Once I am certain that the characters and the story do fit, the comparisons become more clear.

In the story of Deborah, whose name means "a bee," I think that Barak, whose name means "lightning," is like Christ, the general, overthrowing the enemy, and that Deborah is like the church, taken out and in Heaven singing praises before the culmination of the battle.

Jael is like Israel, who accepts the truth that Jesus is the Messiah, thus delivering the death blow to the enemy, Sisera, who is like the Antichrist. Christ totally overthrows Satan, depicted by Jabin, king of Canaan.

Judges 4:21 But Jael the wife of Heber took a tent peg, and took a hammer in her hand. Then she went softly to him and drove the peg into his temple until it went down into the ground while he was lying fast asleep from weariness. So he died.
Judges 4:22 And behold, as Barak was pursuing Sisera, Jael went out to meet him and said to him, “Come, and I will show you the man whom you are seeking.” So he went in to her tent, and there lay Sisera dead, with the tent peg in his temple.

Jael can be compared to Israel [the 144,000 Jewish believers in Revelation] at the time when the nation accepts Christ. She delivers the death blow to the enemy, and it seems that the tent peg is like Christ.  (Jesus is compared to a Nail). Jael hammers it straight into the head of Sisera (who is like Antichrist)  with the help of God in destroying him.  (A tent peg isn't a nail, but is a sharp slim object.)   The story reminds me of David and his deadly stone he slung at Goliath.

Judges 4:23 So on that day God subdued Jabin the king of Canaan before the people of Israel.
Judges 4:24 And the hand of the people of Israel prospered and prevailed against Jabin the king of Canaan, until they destroyed Jabin king of Canaan. (Jabin can be compared to Satan.)

I  noticed that Deborah is told "Awake, awake, utter a song," and this is repeated, in Isaiah 26: 19, the dead are told "Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust:... Come My people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors.... until the indignation be overpast.  For behold, the Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity....    I think this exhortation to "Awake" strengthens my idea that Deborah is like the raptured saints.

Isaiah 26:19-21 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast. For, behold, the LORD cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.

Judges 5:12  Awake, awake, Deborah: awake, awake, utter a song: arise, Barak, and lead thy captivity captive....

Regarding the Nail as pointing to Christ:
Isaiah 22:22, 23, 25 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open and none shall shut, and he shall shut and none shall open.
Isaiah 22:23 And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne in his father's house.
Isaiah 22:25 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall the nail that is fastened in the sure place be removed, and be cut down and fall; and the burden that was on it shall be cut off; for the Lord hath spoken it.

Regarding the weapon of God, and how with it he will destroy evil:
Jeremiah 51:20 Thou art my battle axe and weapon of war: for with thee I will break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms
Also, Zechariah 10:3, For the LORD of hosts hath visited his flock the house of Judah, and hath made them as his goodly horse in battle.
Zechariah 10:4, Out of him came forth the corner, out of him the nail, out of him the battle bow, out of him every oppressor together.
Zechariah 10:6, And they shall be as though I had not cast them off.
Zechariah 10:8, I will hiss for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

The trouble with typology  is, we as humans can make the Bible say anything we want it to say. Best go with a literal interpretation if at all possible.

• Thumbs Up 1