• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

.Post: Nahum, the Vatican, and the harlot Babylon of the End-Times
Conclusion regarding Nahum:   Nahum depicts the "old lion" and his lair and verse after verse points to the Vatican. Locusts are its princes; quaking mountains place this lesson for the end times. The words "stagnant pool," "a city of prey," "stumbles over its corpses," remind me of the statues of the dead saints. I think this lesson combines with the end-time harlot system, and the destruction is told of too, with details.
++++ Following are my notes as made in 1986, 1988 which I want to retype. ++++
Nahum
A city like the harlot Babylon is described with some intriguing details:
1:1 The burden of Nineveh
    [Nineveh means "offspring of ease, offspring abiding" and here we have our first trait of the inhabitants of the evil city we are being told about. Nineveh of old repented and was spared. This city is like Nineveh, but will not repent.]
1:2 God is jealous,... avengeth;... avengeth and is furious;... will take vengeance on His adversaries,... enemies.
1:3 will not at all acquit the wicked
1:5 the mountains quake before Him and the hills melt

1:6 who can abide in the fierceness of His anger
    [the city He is revealing here will not be able to stand any more than evil cities in the past]
1:7 the Lord is good.... a stronghold .... He knoweth those that trust in Him
    [first reminder of God's goodness]
1:9 He will make an utter end
1:10 for while they are entangled together like thorns, and while they are drunk like drunkards, they shall be devoured like stubble fully dry
1:11 there is one come out of thee that imagineth evil against the Lord, a wicked counselor   
1:13 for now will I break his yoke from off thee, and will burst thy bonds in sunder
     [will break the yoke placed on this city by this evil person.  'burst thy bonds' implies that some are freed from this wicked counselor!]
1:14 the Lord hath given a commandment concerning thee, that no more of thy name be sown; out of the house of thy gods will I cut off the carved image and the melted image; I will make thy grave; for thou art vile
    [the Lord has commanded that these people shall have no more offspring, that their gods, the carved images and melted images, will be cut off, and that He will make these people a grave, for they are "vile"]
1:15 behold upon the mountains the feet of Him that bringeth good tidings.... O Judah, keep thy solemn feasts .... the wicked shall no more pass through thee
    [we are pointed to the Lord who will wreak destruction on these]
2:8 Nineveh is of old like a pool of water; yet they shall flee away
    [the city is likened to a pool of water; perhaps a pool that has always been a collecting place for people -- or perhaps it is like a stagnant pool]
2:9 Take the spoil of silver, take the spoil of gold; for there is no end of the store and glory out of all the pleasant furniture.
    [this city is rich and full of no end of treasures, and someone is told to take it all]
2:10 She is empty, and void, and waste .... the knees smite together .... and the faces of them all gather blackness
    [as everything is emptied out of this city, there is fear there, the faces become blackened]
2:11 Where is the dwelling of the lions, and the feeding place of the young lions, where the lion, even the old lion, walked, and the lion's whelp, and none made them afraid?
    [This question is the KEY VERSE of this book, and if we can know the answer to this question, then we know where this evil city is. We are shown that this city is a place that is like a lair, with young lions who eat, and an old lion. In their place, no one can make them afraid.]
2:12 The lion did tear in pieces enough for his whelps, and strangled for his lionesses, and filled his holes with prey, and his dens with torn flesh.
   [This lion has plenty of meat left over for the young and for the lionesses. Usually it is the lioness that hunts, but in this peculiar group, the old lion provides it all. It is a further tip as to what the city is. In Patti Roberts' book "Ashes To Gold," she describes a vivid dream of a dark, meat packing house in which people were cutting up lambs and stacking them and putting them on hooks. This Scripture reminds me of her amazing dream with its deep insights.]
3:1 Woe to bloody city ... lies and robbery; the prey departeth not
    [of woe and a further description of the city, then a statement that the prey that is taken can't escape, and this ties this chapter to the preceding verse and it indicates these people prey on others]
3:3 no end of corpses .... they stumble upon their corpses
    [there are dead everywhere in this city -- it seems that humans are the prey just spoken of in the previous verse]
3:4 because of the multitude of the harlotries of the well-favored harlot, the mistress of witchcraft, that selleth nations through her harlotries, and families through her witchcraft
    [this evil woman sells nations and sells families through her prostitution and through her witchcraft. I think this reveals that it is the place of the false church system. In the book of Joel, there is a mention of evil nations that sell God's children, the Jews.]
3:5 Behold I am against thee, saith the Lord of hosts, and I will uncover thy skirts from thy face, and I will show the nations thy nakedness
    [God speaks to this city as a woman and says He will expose her to all nations as evil]
3:6 And I will cast abominable filth upon thee, and make thee vile, and will set thee as a gazingstock
    [God has said they are vile, and now adds He will throw filth on her and make it publicly apparent exactly what she is]
3:7 and it shall come to pass that all they that look upon thee shall flee from thee and say Nineveh is laid waste; who will bemoan her? where shall I seek comforters for thee?
    [this city is a waste -- there'll be no mourners, -- all will despise her, just as we are told in Revelation the harlot church is despised]
3:8 Art thou better than populous No-amon that was situated among the rivers that had the waters round about it, whose rampart was the sea, and her wall was from the sea?
3:9 Ethiopia and Egypt were her strength, and it was unlimited; Put and Libya Lubim were thy helpers
3:10 Yet was she carried away, she went into captivity, her young children were also dashed in pieces at the top of all the streets; and they cast lots for her honorable men and all her great men were bound in chains
    [God tells her how great Egypt fell, with details, warning of His wrath.]
3:11 Thou also shall be drunk; thou shalt be hidden, thou also shalt seek strength because of thy enemy
    [in Revelation, the harlot is also drunk]
3:12 all thy strongholds shall be like fig trees with the first-ripe figs; if they be shaken, they shall even fall into the mouth of the eater
    [notice the city's "strongholds" and the promise they shall easily fall as though they were fruit]
3:13 Behold, thy people in thee are women
    [no warriors here, He seems to scornfully say]
3:13 the gates of thy land shall be set wide open unto thine enemies; the fire shall devour thy bars
    [this city will have broken gates, her enemies get in, the bars (of the gates?) are burnt -- more dire prophecies for this evil place]
3:14 Draw thee water for the siege, fortify thy strongholds; go into clay, and tread the mortar, make strong the brickkiln
    [God says 'get water, build up walls for the siege,' -- but fresh clay won't do much to fortify crumbling walls when a seige is imminent, and it hardly seems there would be time for them to try to make bricks and fire them in the kilns but they are desperate! This brings to mind the futility of works.]
3:15 There shall the fire devour thee; the sword shall cut thee off; it shall eat thee up like the cankerworm Make thyself like the cankerworm make thyself many like the locusts
     [the city will be burnt in this siege; fire will eat up the city like a worm eats something. The second part advises them further, seemingly to eat and multiply]
3:16 Thou hast multiplied thy merchants above the stars of heaven the cankerworm spoileth and flyeth away
    [God says to this city of many merchants, you all will be ruined by "the cankerworm" which matures and flies away]
3:17 Thy princes are like the locusts and thy captains like the great grasshoppers, which camp in the hedges in the cold day but when the sun ariseth they flee away and their place is not known where they are
    [Here Scripture gives us another hint about the powerful ones in this city -- they are eaters, like locusts. First these men are likened to young lions who are provided for, then to locusts which gather and destroy.]
3:18 Thy shepherds slumber O Assyrian, thy nobles dwell in the dust, thy people are scattered upon the mountains and no man gathereth them
    [Now it is indicated that this city has sleeping shepherds. Shepherds are the keepers of God's people. The "Assyrian" is spoken to and is told that his supporters are dead or scattered. Does this book help us in learning more about the Assyrian?]
3:19 There is no healing of thy bruise thy wound is grievous all that hear the report of thee shall clap the hand over thee for upon whom hath not thy wickedness passed continually

[Compare this downfall to that in the Book of Revelation and the fall of Babylon]
I think the book of Nahum describes the evil religious system under the Antichrist, shows this system grows out of an old system, and gives some characteristics and traits of that system. I think it tells how God will publicly shame the city, mystery Babylon, and cause its downfall, and that of its leader.

Edited by Mary8
remove all italics