Mary8

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

. King David is compared to Christ, and I wanted to do a study of David's numerous wives, wondered about it.   I think I see in Abigail one whom believers should emulate.   Abigail's name means "father rejoiced," "gives joy," or "father's joy."
Conclusion:
Abigail stands out from the other wives of David.  She had sent provisions to David and his men (during conflicts), and she was wise and beautiful.   I was amazed at her words, prophetic, quoted below, which remind me of the church, and many things about this remind me of the Rapture, the meeting of Christ and His bride.  Abigail has turned from an evil lord, who is described as a churl (brutal), whose name means folly, referred to as of Belial.  [Nabal had refused David's message, saying, Who is David?]   Nabal is much like Satan in this.  When Abigail sees David, she hastens to him and praises him, and speaks words about his coming glory, and his rule, his appointment over Israel, she asks him to forgive the trespasses of his handmaid, and she asks him to remember her, and speaks of when he comes to rule over Israel.

I Samuel 25
  13 And David said unto his men, Gird ye on every man his sword. And they girded on every man his sword; and David also girded on his sword: and there went up after David about four hundred men; and two hundred abode by the stuff.  14 But one of the young men told Abigail, Nabal's wife, saying, Behold, David sent messengers out of the wilderness to salute our master; and he railed on them.  15 But the men were very good unto us, and we were not hurt, neither missed we any thing, as long as we were conversant with them, when we were in the fields: 16 They were a wall unto us both by night and day, all the while we were with them keeping the sheep.  17 Now therefore know and consider what thou wilt do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his household: for he is such a son of Belial, that a man cannot speak to him. ....  21 Now David had said, Surely in vain have I kept all that this fellow hath in the wilderness, so that nothing was missed of all that pertained unto him: and he hath requited me evil for good.  22 So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.   23 And when Abigail saw David, she hasted, and lighted off the ass, and fell before David on her face, and bowed herself to the ground,  24 And fell at his feet, and said,... hear the words of thine handmaid.  25 Let not my lord, I pray thee, regard this man of Belial,... Nabal is his name, and folly is with him....  now let thine enemies, and they that seek evil to my lord, be as Nabal.  27 28....  forgive the trespass of thine handmaid: for the LORD will certainly make my lord a sure house; because my lord fighteth the battles of the LORD, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days.  29 Yet a man is risen to pursue thee, and to seek thy soul: but the soul of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of life with the LORD thy God; and the souls of thine enemies, them shall he sling out, as out of the middle of a sling.  30 And it shall come to pass, when the LORD shall have done to my lord according to all the good that he hath spoken concerning thee, and shall have appointed thee ruler over Israel;  31 That this shall be no grief unto thee, nor offence of heart unto my lord, either that thou hast shed blood causeless, or that my lord hath avenged himself: but when the LORD shall have dealt well with my lord, then remember thine handmaid.  32 And David said to Abigail, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, which sent thee this day to meet me:...

33 And blessed be thy advice, and blessed be thou, which hast kept me this day from coming to shed blood, and from avenging myself with mine own hand. 34 For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.  35 So David received of her hand that which she had brought him, and said unto her, Go up in peace to thine house; see, I have hearkened to thy voice, and have accepted thy person. 

37 .... [Nabal's] heart died within him and he became as a stone.  And it came to pass about ten days after, that the LORD smote Nabal, that he died....
39  And when David heard that Nabal was dead, he said Blessed be the LORD,....
   David married Abigail as his third wife and she bore him a son Chileab.  Chileab means "perfection of the father."
   Chileab was David's second son.  
   Michal, daughter of Saul, is mentioned in I Samuel 18:27, that she "loved David."  Her sister Merab was to be given to David, but had married another, so Michal was given.  [Merab means "increase."]  Michal mocked David [II Samuel 6:20] as he danced before the Lord as the Ark was brought.  Michal had taken another husband, Phaltiel, but David required that she be brought to him [II Samuel 3:14].  David reminds her that he was chosen before her father Saul, and Michal had no child till the day of her death.  Michal's attitude is like Israel was to Christ. 
   David had other wives and concubines, and I found the names of about 17 sons.  [II Samuel 5:13]
   Then David married Bathsheba, and their infant son died, and their son Solomon inherited the throne, and he married many women who had idols, which brings to mind the unfaithful people of the end times.

Edited by Mary8
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

A few things that I read differently when I read chapter 25 [and 24].  I'm not so sure I see Abigail as the church or David, in this context, as Jesus.  David was sinning in his heart in this passage by wanting to kill many people for no other reason that he was ticked off.

[1]  "Nabal has been shearing David's sheep, stealing, and Nabal refused David's message." 

Nabal was shearing his own sheep.  David was on the run from Saul and hiding out near where Nabal's flocks were.  Because David had been a shepherd himself, he and his men watched over the shepherds and their sheep for a little while during their problems with Saul.  Nabal didn't steal anything because these were his own sheep.  He was very rich.

[2]  "Abigail has turned from an evil lord...."

He isn't just a foolish man, as the Bible calls him, he is Abigail's husband.  

[3] Abigail does not "run to David and  praise him."  She runs up the hill as he and his men are riding down the hill to kill every single male on Nabal's estate:  Every boy, every man, every male animal.  As the Bible says, David is so out-of-control angry at Nabal for refusing to feed he and his men that he said he is going to kill anything that "pisseth" against the wall.  Abigail runs to STOP David.  Just like when Goliath runs to meet the boy David years ago and David rushes to meet Goliath's advance, David, not king yet, is rushing to kill much of Nabal's estate and she rushes to meet his advance.

[3] Abigail uses the same tactics to stop David that David has JUST recently used in the previous chapter to stop Saul from pursing him.  She is trying to prevent a carnage from happening.  So was David in chapter 24.

• She bows to him.  [David bowed to Saul to escape his terror in the previous chapter.]
  • She said, "Accept my apologies for food not getting you to and your men.  I'll take that responsibility.  [David takes responsibility for considering killing Saul and for cutting off part of his robe.]
  • She says "listen to me" and "not Nabal".  [David asked Saul why he listened to others who lie about him.]
  • She calls him "lord" as an honor.  [David called Saul "lord" to appease him and to show he respected his office.]
  • She offers the gift of the great feast she has brought to squash David's unreasonable and vengeful anger against her husband.  [David offers up to Saul the piece of his robe that he cut to show Saul that David honored him and would not kill him.  This appeased Saul and settled him down.
  • She says that if David stops and does not sinfully slaughter all of these on Nabal's estate that he will not have to worry about grief of conscience as king. [David told Saul that "out of the wicked come wickedness" and asked why he was wanting to kill him, David, an innocent man.]

Do you see the similarities between David and Abigail as to how to handle a person who is sinfully pursing you to harm you?

When Abigail gets through speaking, David  praises her for stopping him and says that he will obey her voice and not kill needlessly and that the LORD has used her to stop him.  [Saul praises David for being righteous and leaves without trying to kill him."

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Jayne said:

oops, double post

Edited by Jayne

I did make some changes based on your points.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  651
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/12/2018 at 6:38 PM, Mary8 said:

. King David is compared to Christ, and I wanted to do a study of David's numerous wives, wondered about it.   I think I see in Abigail one whom believers should emulate.   Abigail's name means "father rejoiced," "gives joy," or "father's joy."
Conclusion:
Abigail stands out from the other wives of David.  She had sent provisions to David and his men (during conflicts), and she was wise and beautiful.   I was amazed at her words, prophetic, quoted below, which remind me of the church, and many things about this remind me of the Rapture, the meeting of Christ and His bride.  Abigail has turned from an evil lord, who is described as a churl (brutal), whose name means folly, referred to as of Belial.  [Nabal had refused David's message, saying, Who is David?]   Nabal is much like Satan in this.  When Abigail sees David, she hastens to him and praises him, and speaks words about his coming glory, and his rule, his appointment over Israel, she asks him to forgive the trespasses of his handmaid, and she asks him to remember her, and speaks of when he comes to rule over Israel.

I Samuel 25
  13 And David said unto his men, Gird ye on every man his sword. And they girded on every man his sword; and David also girded on his sword: and there went up after David about four hundred men; and two hundred abode by the stuff.  14 But one of the young men told Abigail, Nabal's wife, saying, Behold, David sent messengers out of the wilderness to salute our master; and he railed on them.  15 But the men were very good unto us, and we were not hurt, neither missed we any thing, as long as we were conversant with them, when we were in the fields: 16 They were a wall unto us both by night and day, all the while we were with them keeping the sheep.  17 Now therefore know and consider what thou wilt do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his household: for he is such a son of Belial, that a man cannot speak to him. ....  21 Now David had said, Surely in vain have I kept all that this fellow hath in the wilderness, so that nothing was missed of all that pertained unto him: and he hath requited me evil for good.  22 So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.   23 And when Abigail saw David, she hasted, and lighted off the ass, and fell before David on her face, and bowed herself to the ground,  24 And fell at his feet, and said,... hear the words of thine handmaid.  25 Let not my lord, I pray thee, regard this man of Belial,... Nabal is his name, and folly is with him....  now let thine enemies, and they that seek evil to my lord, be as Nabal.  27 28....  forgive the trespass of thine handmaid: for the LORD will certainly make my lord a sure house; because my lord fighteth the battles of the LORD, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days.  29 Yet a man is risen to pursue thee, and to seek thy soul: but the soul of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of life with the LORD thy God; and the souls of thine enemies, them shall he sling out, as out of the middle of a sling.  30 And it shall come to pass, when the LORD shall have done to my lord according to all the good that he hath spoken concerning thee, and shall have appointed thee ruler over Israel;  31 That this shall be no grief unto thee, nor offence of heart unto my lord, either that thou hast shed blood causeless, or that my lord hath avenged himself: but when the LORD shall have dealt well with my lord, then remember thine handmaid.  32 And David said to Abigail, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, which sent thee this day to meet me:...

33 And blessed be thy advice, and blessed be thou, which hast kept me this day from coming to shed blood, and from avenging myself with mine own hand. 34 For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.  35 So David received of her hand that which she had brought him, and said unto her, Go up in peace to thine house; see, I have hearkened to thy voice, and have accepted thy person. 

37 .... [Nabal's] heart died within him and he became as a stone.  And it came to pass about ten days after, that the LORD smote Nabal, that he died....
39  And when David heard that Nabal was dead, he said Blessed be the LORD,....
   David married Abigail as his third wife and she bore him a son Chileab.  Chileab means "perfection of the father."
   Chileab was David's second son.  
   Michal, daughter of Saul, is mentioned in I Samuel 18:27, that she "loved David."  Her sister Merab was to be given to David, but had married another, so Michal was given.  [Merab means "increase."]  Michal mocked David [II Samuel 6:20] as he danced before the Lord as the Ark was brought.  Michal had taken another husband, Phaltiel, but David required that she be brought to him [II Samuel 3:14].  David reminds her that he was chosen before her father Saul, and Michal had no child till the day of her death.  Michal's attitude is like Israel was to Christ. 
   David had other wives and concubines, and I found the names of about 17 sons.  [II Samuel 5:13]
   Then David married Bathsheba, and their infant son died, and their son Solomon inherited the throne, and he married many women who had idols, which brings to mind the unfaithful people of the end times.

Hello Mary,

I always thought it was David's son, Solomon, who had the many wives.  Don't you think so too?

"And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart."

First Kings 11:1-3 indicates that King Solomon had 700 hundred wives and 300 hundred concubines, many from lands of which God had previously instructed the Israelites to avoid intermarrying.

Quasar93

King Saul, King David, AND King Solomon had multiple wives.  This was in direct violation of Deuteronomy 17:17 where the law forbade kings of Israel to have multiple wives.  King Solomon, of course, was the worst violator of that.  

King David's first six sons all had different baby mamas.  2 Samuel 3.

This lead to much destruction later on.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Quasar93 said:

Hello Mary,

I always thought it was David's son, Solomon, who had the many wives.  Don't you think so too?

"And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart."

First Kings 11:1-3 indicates that King Solomon had 700 hundred wives and 300 hundred concubines, many from lands of which God had previously instructed the Israelites to avoid intermarrying.

Quasar93

Yes, definitely, Solomon had so many wives.    It is sad to read that 'his wives turned away his heart.'    The study of David was mainly encouraging to me because of Abigail's attitude, helpfulness, wisdom.   Perhaps a topic I should have not shared.   I'm finding it a real pleasure to again take up a study of Boaz, Ruth, Naomi.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

King Saul, King David, AND King Solomon had multiple wives.  This was in direct violation of Deuteronomy 17:17 where the law forbade kings of Israel to have multiple wives.  King Solomon, of course, was the worst violator of that.  

King David's first six sons all had different baby mamas.  2 Samuel 3.

This lead to much destruction later on.  

It sure did lead to destruction and grief.  Thanks for the citation, Deut. 17:17.

• Thumbs Up 1