Sign in to follow this  
SkilletFan

For computer builders

Ryzen APUs (CPU/GPU hybrids) have been reviewed today or before: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review

These chips may not make much sense if dedicated GPUs were inexpensive, but the fact is, dedicated GPUs are raising in price due to Bitcoin Mining.

Another advantage is these are great for small PCs / small cases. Provided the other parts are compatible.

Translation: A new set of computer parts were released that may be good for small PCs.

I'm not a gamer so a generic display driver is just fine for me.  20 years ago I was all over new technology, but not anymore.

I have used dedicated GPUs in all my builds, from basic media machines to my high end gaming rigs. Better performance all around, not only better graphics but better cpu and ram performance as they are not having to share their speed with graphics.

I experimented with AMDs APUs when they came out, and while i found their performance slightly better then typical integrated cards, it was not enough to impress me, and i was displeased with the increased power consumption and heat.

This new technology maybe better then amds apus, but i doubt i will do much experimentation with it. I find even for a basic build a $30 dedicated video card is more then worth it over any integrated solution.

I have built 3 gaming computers i think and all of them have had stand alone graphics cards..  And they where fast cards for their day..  I have not built a computer in probably 10 years so i am out of the loop now..   I know that a ram drive is also a faster way then a conventional spinning hard drive..   

$30 video card ???????   More like $500 cards these days if you want a high end gaming computer..

High end graphics card link with price in Australian Dollars which is around $500 USD

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB Video Card :

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-turbo-8gb-video-card-ab83885?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

It actually takes a $110 GT 1030 to match the graphics in these chips. Unless you buy the video card used, then it's $70.

Of course, you can argue you want better RAM if you buy one of these chips than if you didn't, which also costs more money...

Edited by SkilletFan

5 hours ago, Adstar said:

I have built 3 gaming computers i think and all of them have had stand alone graphics cards..  And they where fast cards for their day..  I have not built a computer in probably 10 years so i am out of the loop now..   I know that a ram drive is also a faster way then a conventional spinning hard drive..   

$30 video card ???????   More like $500 cards these days if you want a high end gaming computer..

High end graphics card link with price in Australian Dollars which is around $500 USD

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB Video Card :

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-turbo-8gb-video-card-ab83885?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

lol if your not after gaming, you can pickup a dedicated video card for around $30. I buy them all the time for none-performance builds such as home computers, media machines, and even church computers. If you dont need high end 3d rendering, dedicated solutions arnt actually that much, and are worth it, not because it improves graphics, but will improve overall performance of the computer, which is a positive, especially if one is using lower end CPUs and memory. My last video card was a AMD Saphire r9 380 Nitro, i only paid around $230 for it, and replaced to AMD 4890s in crossfire, and have been extremely pleased with it. its still by todays standards, out of date, but it does all of my gaming needs. link 2 of them in crossfire, and my machines graphics capabilities would be off the chart.

Sign in to follow this