KiwiChristian

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

I was dismayed to discover that C.S. Lewis promoted the belief of Purgatory.So much for any credibility

He may have had.If you believe in Purgatory you have NO understanding of Christianity.I would really love for somebody smarter than me to come up with a better analogy than this but isn’t it kinda like saying “ I believe jets can fly, but I refuse to climb on board unless it goes no higher than ten feet”  Jesus paid for our sins but not really—— we must pay for some that slipped through the cracks.What an insult to the entire underpinnings of our faith.Satan loves it.He invented it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

4 hours ago, 1to3 said:

Does not praying to dead saints to get other dead people  out of purgatory not consist of IDOLATRY?

Yes, we are to pray to NO ONE except God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

I believe in Perkatory: 

30743168_10160253280795253_7247587270463425262_n.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Jesus paid for our sins but not really—— we must pay for some that slipped through the cracks.What an insult to the entire underpinnings of our faith.Satan loves it.He invented it.

:amen:

History of Purgatory

The idea of purgatory has roots that date back into antiquity. A sort of proto-purgatory called the "celestial Hades" appears in the writings of Plato and Heraclides Ponticus and in many other pagan writers. This concept is distinguished from the Hades of the underworld described in the works of Homer and Hesiod. In contrast, the celestial Hades was understood as an intermediary place where souls spent an undetermined time after death before either moving on to a higher level of existence or being reincarnated back on earth. Its exact location varied from author to author. Heraclides of Pontus thought it was in the Milky Way; the Academicians, the Stoics, Cicero, Virgil, Plutarch, the Hermetical writings situated it between the Moon and the Earth or around the Moon; while Numenius and the Latin Neoplatonists thought it was located between the sphere of the fixed stars and the Earth.[1]

Perhaps under the influence of Hellenistic thought, we find another intermediate state entering Jewish religious thought in the last centuries B.C.E. In Maccabees we find the practice of prayer for the dead with a view to their after life purification[2] a practice accepted by some Christians. The same practice appears in other traditions, such as the medieval Chinese Buddhist practice of making offerings on behalf of the dead, who are said to suffer numerous trials.[3] Among other reasons, Catholic belief in purgatory is based on the practice of prayer for the dead.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Purgatory

------------------------------------

According to Islam, there as an intermediary world between this world and the one to come. This intermediary world is known in Islamic literature as Barzakh.

Barzakh (Arabic:بَرزَخ) is a world between this world and afterlife; it is also called the imaginal world or the world of grave. Brazakh exists for both believers and non-believers, though it is like the Heaven for the former, and like the Hell for non-believers.

Meaning

'Barzakh' in Arabic literally means an interval or a barrier between two things, and terminologically it means an interval between the end of this-worldly life (death) and the beginning of afterlife. The world is called 'Barzakh' because it is an interval between this world and the afterlife. The world is also called the world of grave and the imaginal world.

In Qur'an

The word 'Barzakh' has been mentioned three times in Quran (Furqan: 53, al-Rahman: 20, Mu'minun: 100), but only in Mu'minun: 100 it has been used in the meaning in question:

حَتَّى إِذَا جَاء أَحَدَهُمُ الْمَوْتُ قَالَ رَبِّ ارْجِعُونِ لَعَلِّی أَعْمَلُ صَالِحًا فِیمَا تَرَكْتُ (99) كَلَّا إِنَّهَا كَلِمَةٌ هُوَ قَائِلُهَا وَمِن وَرَائِهِم بَرْزَخٌ إِلَى یوْمِ یبْعَثُونَ

When death comes to one of them, he says, 'My Lord! Take me back (99) that I may act righteously in what I have left behind.' 'By no means! These are mere words that he says.' And ahead of them is a Barzakh until the day they will be resurrected

https://www.quora.com/Do-Muslims-believe-theres-something-akin-to-purgatory-where-the-sins-of-humans-are-cleansed-before-going-to-heaven

Edited by 1to3

21 hours ago, 1to3 said:

1 Timothy 2:5

For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

John 10:30

30 I and My Father are one.”

QUOTE FROM  Goldie Dont you think God knows their heart? Their soul? Their prayer?

Matthew 12:46-50

Jesus’ Mother and Brothers Send for Him

46 While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. 47 Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”

48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, Who is My mother and who are My brothers? 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”

ALL ADDED  book over Gods word is ADDING -on and that is going contrary to what is written  RE: ( Revelations chapter 22)

ALSO

If Gods WORD is sufficient through Gods plan of Mercy and Grace through the blood Atonement of His only begotten Son Christ Jesus, why do Catholics believe in the need of purgatory?

ADD -ONs of the RCC

In around the year 375 AD ,  was the idea of praying to angels and dead saints=Christians.

573 AD , came the doctrine of purgatory, and in 1439 purgatory was formally declared a formal dogma of the church.

WHY?

Is NOT  Christ Jesus Atonement on cross for mankind sufficient?

Written on page 20 of this thread

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Nowhere in Scripture are we told that Christ's substitutionary sacrifice only served to atone for a part of the just punishment due every man for his sin.  There is no mention of the purifying flames of Purgatory.

This is but another Catholic invention – one concocted by the Popes to provide a market for the selling of indulgences during the Middle Ages.

Hebrews 10:10, By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.  V. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

2 Cor. 5:21,  For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Peter 3:18, For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

4 hours ago, HAZARD said:

Yes it does,

Exodus 20:4, Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Deut. 5:8, Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above,  or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Then God commanded Moses to make graven images and Jesus was an idol worshipper for praying in a temple with images.

16 minutes ago, Mishael said:

Then God commanded Moses to make graven images and Jesus was an idol worshipper for praying in a temple with images.

Good Day Mishael

Where in the above that I quoted from you is such written in the Holy Bible?

Please provide chapter and verse.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, HAZARD said:

2 Timothy 3:16, ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD,  and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Matthew 22:29, Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Mark 12:24, And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

Therefore search the Scriptures not the teachings of men;

John 5:39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Romans 15:4, For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 16:26, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

2 Timothy 3:15, And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Peter 3:16, As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other Scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Doesn't mean scripture alone is sufficient, it is profitable.

8 minutes ago, 1to3 said:

Good Day Mishael

Where in the above that I quoted from you is such written in the Holy Bible?

Please provide chapter and verse.

Exodus 36:35-37:9 where, per the instructions of God, Moses has images of cherubim embroidered into the curtains of the tabernacle and statues of the same cast for the Ark of the Covenant.