• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

So what good is it unless you assign a meaning to the image? And any true meaning is from His Word not a painting.

Doesn't make it a forbidden graven image, since I don't take it for a God beside the one true God himself. So there's nothing wrong with venerating images so long as it doesn't devolve into baseless idolatry.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 2/12/2018 at 11:06 PM, KiwiChristian said:

The Pope deleted the 2nd of the 10 commandments so they could use statues & images in worship. They split the 10th commandment on coveting into two commandments so they could still have 10 in  number. Look at the list of 10 commandments published by the rcc! The issue here is not how the Ten Commandments are numbered, rather the issue is that most published lists of the 10 commandments do not include the words, "you shall not for yourself an idol".

My friend; this is the weakest; the most frequently maligned; the most TOOTED; the most misunderstood of all of the charges leveled against the Roman Catholic Church. {Even though the rewriting on the Ten Commandments is a NEW twist to it.}

So let’s start with THAT point:

The RCC is the Original; One True Church and Faith desired and FOUNDED by Jesus Christ directly and Personally: Mt 16: 15-19. Today's RCC predates the Protestant Reformation {revolution} by about 1,500 YEARS! This is both historically and Biblically provable.

There would be NO "christian churches" if the RCC did not exist

IT IS NOTABLE THAT WHILE THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS; THEY TEACH THE EXACT SAME THINGS

IT IS NOTABLE THAT WHILE THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS; THEY TEACH THE EXACT SAME THINGS: 

Protestant

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
  2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
  3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that takes his name in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.
  5. Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God gives thee.
  6. Thou shalt not kill.
  7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
  8. Thou shalt not steal.
  9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's

Num. 21: 6-9[6] Wherefore the Lord sent among the people fiery serpents, which bit them and killed many of them. [7] Upon which they came to Moses, and said: We have sinned, because we have spoken against the Lord and thee: pray that he may take away these serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. [8] And the Lord said to him: Make brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: whosoever being struck shall look on it, shall live. [9] Moses therefore made a brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: which when they that were bitten looked upon, they were healed.”

So HERE we have Yahweh /GOD, commanding Moses to build for Him IDOLS. Not once BUT Twice.

So if GOD commands Moses to build for HIM, “Idols”; there must be another factor that MUST be taken into consideration.

And here it is:

It’s NOT the “Idol” that is the TRUE issue; NO! It is the purpose; the GOAL of that “idol”

If it is to LEAD Souls to God = Good

If it ACTUALLY is intended to compete with God =BAD

Because the Roman Catholic Faith is the One True Faith {John 17:17-20} KJV

King James Version

John 17:17-20

17 Sanctify THEM through thy truth: thy word is truth.18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also SENT THEM into the world.19 And for THEIR SAKES I sanctify myself, THAT THEY also might be sanctified THROUGH the truth.20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible {WHICH PREDATES THE KJB}

John 17:17-20

17 Sanctify them in truth. Thy word is truth.18 As thou hast sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.19 And for them do I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified IN TRUTH.20 And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me

Rightly understood here is what this actually teaches:

1.    This Is Jesus directly to and exclusively to the Apostles and through their direct successors {Mt 10: 1-8 compared to Mt 28:18-20}

2    This is to be understand as being literal

3.    Jesus is sending THEM into the world with the “same”{similar}powers {Mt 10:1-2}  and AUTHORITY as the Father sent Him into the world.

4.    Verse 19: Here Jesus gives Himself as the PERSONAL WARRATY of His RCC teaching ONLY His Truths: NO OTHER CHURCH OR FAITH CAN MAKE THIS CLAIM AND EVIDENCE IT EXCEPT FOR THE RCC.

5.    Verse 20: clarifies and verifies that it is His RCC that alone can and does teach the FULLNESS of His {Christ} own Faith beliefs

Now Back to Catholics and Idol “worshiping”

1.    From the Catholic Catechism on the term “worship”

2135 "You shall worship the Lord your God" (Mt 4:10). Adoring God, praying to him, offering him the worship that belongs to him, fulfilling the promises and vows made to him are acts of the virtue of religion which fall under obedience to the first commandment.

2105 The duty of offering God genuine worship concerns man both individually and socially. This is "the traditional Catholic teaching on the moral duty of individuals and societies toward the true religion and the one Church of Christ."

266 "Now this is the Catholic faith: We worship one God in the Trinity and the Trinity in unity, without either confusing the persons or dividing the substance; for the person of the Father is one, the Son's is another, the Holy Spirit's another; but the Godhead of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is one, their glory equal, their majesty coeternal" (Athanasian Creed: DS 75; ND 16).

Catholics Know & are taught that the term “WORSHIP” is to be reserved to GOD alone.

The terms “reverence” and “venerate” are the terms we Catholics use in praying “to” {ACTUALLY THROUGH} Mary and the Saints, as we know that ALL prayers end with God.

435 The name of Jesus is at the heart of Christian prayer. All liturgical prayers conclude with the words "through our Lord Jesus Christ". The Hail Mary reaches its high point in the words "blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus." The Eastern prayer of the heart, the Jesus Prayer, says: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." Many Christians, such as St. Joan of Arc, have died with the one word "Jesus" on their lips.

487 What the Catholic faith believes about Mary is based on what it believes about Christ, and what it teaches about Mary illumines in turn its faith in Christ.

2679 Mary is the perfect Orans (pray-er), a figure of the Church. When we pray to her, we are adhering with her to the plan of the Father, who sends his Son to save all men. Like the beloved disciple we welcome Jesus' mother into our homes, for she has become the mother of all the living. We can pray with and to her. The prayer of the Church is sustained by the prayer of Mary and united with it in hope

964 Mary's role in the Church is inseparable from her union with Christ and flows directly from it. "This union of the mother with the Son in the work of salvation is made manifest from the time of Christ's virginal conception up to his death"; it is made manifest above all at the hour of his Passion:

Thus the Blessed Virgin advanced in her pilgrimage of faith, and faithfully persevered in her union with her Son unto the cross. There she stood, in keeping with the divine plan, enduring with her only begotten Son the intensity of his suffering, joining herself with his sacrifice in her mother's heart, and lovingly consenting to the immolation of this victim, born of her: to be given, by the same Christ Jesus dying on the cross, as a mother to his disciple, with these words: "Woman, behold your son

By far the most common Marian Prayer is the “Hail Mary” which is repeated 50 times in every Rosary; which BTW, in bracketed by the Lord’s Prayer and the prayer to the Blessed Trinity. The “Hail Mary” is solidly Biblical:

This discussion would be incomplete without an explanation of WHY we do what we do. To try to make the issue clear we will use the ”HAILMARY” [used in the Rosary] prayer, which is by far the most used prayer next to the LORDS PAYER, as our example of what we Catholics actually do, and why we do it.

Hail Mary, [Lk. 1:28]

Full of Grace [Lk. 1:28]

The Lord is with thee [Lk 1:27]

Blessed are you among all women [Lk 1:42]

And Blessed in the fruit of your womb: Jesus [Lk. 1;42]

Holy Mary [Lk.1: 28]

Mother of God 1:35

Pray for us sinners [our catholic petition]

Now and at the hour of our death

Amen” [I BELIEVE!]

Romans 12: 2 “Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. “

Luke 1: 46-55[46] And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord. [47] And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. [48] Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed[49] Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name. [50] And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him.

{Douay explanation} [48] "Shall call me blessed": These words are a prediction of that honour which the church in all ages should pay to the Blessed Virgin. Let Protestants examine whether they are any way concerned in this prophecy.

[51] He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart. [52] He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble. [53] He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. [54] He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of his mercy:[55] As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever.”

CONCLUSION

The POSTERS very subjective and poorly researched comments are slanderous; even if not by intent.

We pray THROUGH Mary and the Saints {All of who ARE in Heaven} as they accept our petitions; then add their own on-top of ours and personally present them Jesus making them more efficaous {effective.}

Friends, I’m a trained Catholic Apologetic’s teacher, and I’d be happy to discuss any questions you may have. Does not the Bible teach: THEY WILL KNOW THAT WE ARE CHRISTIANS BY OUR LOVE.  Luke.6: 32 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.”

Easter Blessings,

Patrick

My friend.docx

10 hours ago, Davida said:

So no matter how big you write it doesn't make your beliefs correct.

The Roman Catholic church is not the one universal church that they claim.  The RCC added to what is in the Bible & subtract from it by ignoring scripture that doesn't suit them. The RCC added their own man created traditions of priests, popes and liturgy, and they teach and preach of themselves , religious traditions that was never  written in the Word of God. The RCC lifts up itself & places themselves at the level of God's word and they do not follow the words or teachings of the Lord Jesus who alone is the intercessor between GOD  and man.

They corrupted their prayers & worship by lifting up RC saints , the Popes and the idolatry of kneeling to the Lord Jesus mother Mary.  Rome added Mary & te RCC popes &  various RC saints as to incorporate them into some pantheon of false heavenly beings/ dieties like the Romans did in their worship to multiple deities.  The Reformation was a God directed splitting away from the RC False worship, dominance & political reign. 

Hi David,

Let's take your points one at a time:

The Roman Catholic Church is not the one universal church that they claim

So if the RCC is not the ONE Original and TRUE Church {which BTW is both Biblically and historically provable; then WHICH other "church: is? THERE HAS TO BE ONE 

The RCC added to what is in the Bible & subtract from it by ignoring scripture that doesn't suit them.

My friend; I'm not sure where you "learning" this stuff; but it's easily disproved.

FYI: The Bible Is a CATHOLIC BOOK {historically and even biblically provable}

It WAS the early Catholic –Church Fathers who selected the 46 Old Testament Books AND it was men known today the have been CATHOLICS who AUTHORED the entire 27 book- New Testament. AND that is 73 original books. Including 5 Apostle-authors of the NT.

What YOU expressed is precisely what Martin Luther did as part of the 16th century- Protestant revolution {"Reformation"} some 1,400 years AFTER the CATHOLIC BIBLE had already existed. You might want to check historical history before making these inflammatory-UNPROVEABLE claims.

The RCC added their own man created traditions of priests, popes and liturgy, and they teach and preach of themselves, religious traditions that was never written in the Word of God.

My friend; if you {or whomever is "teaching" you this errant information}, actually correctly understood the Bible; you would KNOW what you saying is incorrect:

Mt.  16:15-19

[15] Jesus saith to THEM: But whom do YOU say that I am?

[16] Simon PETER answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. [17]And Jesus answering, said TO HIM: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. [18]And I say to THEE That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build MY CHURCH {SINGULAR}, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give to THEE the keys {ALL OF THEM}of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever YOU shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever YOU shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

The TERMS "Binding" and Loosening" here have 2 meanings:

The Forgiveness of sins {see John 20:19-23} and UNLIMITED Powers and Authority of Governance as was needed to Build Christ kingdom.

FACT: these terms; “Binding” & “Loosning” were so common that their Power & Authority were protected by Jewish Laws of that time and place. Walled in cities such as Jerusalem of that age period as the NORM, had a King who would typically appoint a Prime Minister to handle all of the day to day business ANSERABLE ONLY to the KING; which is exactly what Jesus had in mind in appointing Peter as His Prime minister to His Kingdom of Heaven.

Douay Bible explanation:

[18] "Thou art Peter": As St. Peter, by divine revelation, here made a solemn profession of his faith of the divinity of Christ; so in recompense of this faith and profession, our Lord here declares to him the dignity to which he is pleased to raise him: viz., that he to whom he had already given the name of Peter, signifying a rock, St. John 1. 42, should be a rock indeed, of invincible strength, for the support of the building of the church; in which building he should be, next to Christ himself, the chief foundation stone, in quality of chief pastor, ruler, and governor; and should have accordingly all fulness of ecclesiastical power, signified by the keys of the kingdom of heaven.

[18] "Upon this rock": The words of Christ to Peter, spoken in the vulgar {means local language} language of the Jews which our Lord made use of, were the same as if he had said in English, Thou art a Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church. So that, by the plain course of the words, Peter is here declared to be the rock, upon which the church was to be built: Christ himself being both the principal foundation and founder of the same. Where also note, that Christ, by building his house, that is, his church, upon a rock, has thereby secured it against all storms and floods, like the wise builder, St. Matt. 7. 24, 25.

[18] "The gates of hell": That is, the powers of darkness, and whatever Satan can do, either by himself, or his agents. For as the church is here likened to a house, or fortress, built on a rock; so the adverse powers are likened to a contrary house or fortress, the gates of which, that is, the whole strength, and all the efforts it can make, will never be able to prevail over the city or church of Christ. By this promise we are fully assured, that neither idolatry, heresy, nor any pernicious error whatsoever shall at any time prevail over the church of Christ. End quotes

Eph. 2: [19] “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, [20] built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, [21] in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; [22] in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.” 

This is further affirmed in Mt. 28:18-20 “ [18] And Jesus coming, spoke to THEM, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach YOU all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe ALL THINGS whatsoever I have commanded {TAUGHT} YOU: and behold I am with YOU all days, even to the consummation of the world.”

{Douay Bible explanation}[18] "All power": See here the warrant and commission of the apostles and their successors, the bishops and pastors of Christ's church. He received from his Father all power in heaven and in earth: and in virtue of this power, he sends them (even as his Father sent him, St. John 20. 21) to teach and disciple, not one, but all nations; and instruct them in all truths: and that he may assist them effectually in the execution of this commission, he promises to be with them, not for three or four hundred years only, but all days, even to the consummation of the world. How then could the Catholic Church ever go astray; having always with her pastors, as is here promised, Christ himself, who is the way, the truth, and the life. St. John 14. END QUOTES

3b. “And they teach and preach of themselves”

Why of COURSE WE DO; we are Christ One True Faith and Church; to which ALL, with no discrimination are encourage & invited to join.

3c. “religious traditions that was never written in the Word of God.”

First of all NOT everything was ever intended to be written into the Bible

John 20:30-31[30] Many other signs also did Jesus in the sight of his disciples, which are not written in this book. [31] But these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God: and that believing, you may have life in his name.”

John 21:24-25[24] This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. [25] But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.”

As for “Traditions”

1Cor.11:]” I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.”

2Thes.2: 15 “So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.”

4 “The RCC lifts up itself & places themselves at the level of God's word and they do not follow the words or teachings of the Lord Jesus who alone is the intercessor between GOD  and man.”

David my friend; as you can see I’m happy to discuss ANY issue you may wish to bring up; but as expressed by you above there is a lack of sufficient clarity and examples of what you’re talking about for me to respond to them. Please clarify & provide specific examples and I’ll be happy to resond.

5 “Rome added Mary & the RCC popes &  various RC saints as to incorporate them into some pantheon of false heavenly beings/ dieties like the Romans did in their worship to multiple deities. “

First please look above at Mt 26:15-19 and what I have already shared and explained.

In the Power of UNLIMITED Governance Christ left and commanded Peter and the Apostles and their successors after them {compare Mt 10 1-8 to Mt 28:18-}; the Church is empowered; actually commanded to do anything and EVERYTHING beneficial for the possible salvation of Souls.

“Popes” is just a theological term identifying the current-HEAD of the RCC. But the fact that Christ Himself choose this position based on OT historical-traditions is no accident.

Throughout the history of the Jewish People as recorded in the bible; God; Yahweh; with unerring consistency always choose One MAN, to be the head of His “Chosen People” Exo.6: 7

Abraham, Moses, Arron, the Judges and Prophets, and Kings like David and Solomon; were all MEN; all singular {there were a few times when there were more than one Prophet at the same time}; leading to John the Baptist, who led to Jesus, who in turn choose 12 men HEADED by Peter.

John 21: 13-17 [13] And Jesus cometh and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish in like manner. [14] This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested to his disciples, after he was risen from the dead.[15] When therefore they had dined, Jesus saith TO SIMON PETER Simon son of John, lovest thou me more than these? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith TO HIM me? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith TO HIM Feed my lambs. [17] He said TO HIM the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said TO HIM Feed my sheep.” “

So David, the RCC in selecting Popes is only OBEYING Jesus.

As for Saints; that’s a separate discussion and I’m 73 and quickly getting tired.

6 QUOUTING YOU: “The Reformation was a God directed splitting away from the RC False worship, dominance & political reign”

David I am willing to personally bet YOU whatever you want; that YOU cannot prove this claim; Biblically; logically, morally, or historically. But my new friend; please do feel free to try.

Easter Blessings David,

Patrick

p.s.

Feel free to print this and share it with your Pastor; but first PRAY tot the Holy Spirit for the ability to discern if your Pastor is sharing with YOU; GOD’S truths or simply his own?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

LIST OF CATHOLIC HERESIES
And HUMAN TRADITIONS

ADOPTED and PERPETUATED by the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
IN THE COURSE OF 1600 YEARS

(Compiled by Rev. Stephen L. Testa)

Heresy Date

OF ALL THE HUMAN TRADITIONS taught and practiced by the Roman Catholic Church, which are contrary to the Bible, the most ancient are the prayers for the dead and the sign of the Cross. Both began 300 years after Christ. 310
Wax Candles introduced in church 320
Veneration of angels and dead saints 375
The Mass, as a daily celebration, adopted 394
The worship of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and the use of the term, "Mother of God", as applied to her, originated in the Council of Ephesus 431
Priests began to dress differently from the laity 500
Extreme Unction 526
The doctrine of Purgatory was first established by Gregory the Great 593
The Latin language, as the language of prayer and worship in churches, was also imposed by Pope Gregory I. 600 years after Christ

The Word of God forbids praying and teaching in an unknown tongue. (1st Corinthians 14:9).
The Bible teaches that we pray to God alone. In the primitive church never were prayers directed to Mary, or to dead saints. This practice began in the Roman Church.

(Matthew 11:28; Luke 1:46; Acts 10:25-26; 14:14-18)
The Papacy is of pagan origin. The title of pope or universal bishop, was first given to the bishop of Rome by the wicked emperor Phocas.

This he did to spite Bishop Ciriacus of Constantinople, who had justly excommunicated him for his having caused the assassination of his predecessor emperor Mauritius. Gregory 1, then bishop of Rome, refused the title, but his successor, Boniface III, first assumed title "pope."

Jesus did not appoint Peter to the headship of the apostles and forbade any such notion. (Luke 22:24-26; Ephesians 1:22-23; Colossians 1:18; 1st Corinthians 3:11).

Note: Nor is there any mention in Scripture, nor in history, that Peter ever was in Rome, much less that he was pope there for 25 years; Clement, 3rd bishop of Rome, remarks that "there is no real 1st century evidence that Peter ever was in Rome."
The kissing of the Pope's feet

It had been a pagan custom to kiss the feet of emperors. The Word of God forbids such practices. (Read Acts 10:25-26; Revelation 19:10; 22:9).
The Temporal power of the Popes

When Pepin, the usurper of the throne of France, descended into Italy, called by Pope Stephen II, to war against the Italian Lombards, he defeated them and gave the city of Rome and surrounding territory to the pope. Jesus expressly forbade such a thing, and He himself refused worldly kingship. (Read Matthew 4:8-9; 20:25-26; John 18:38).
Worship of the cross, images and relics was authorized

This was by order of Dowager Empress Irene of Constantinople, who first caused to pluck the eyes of her own son, Constantine VI, and then called a church council at the request of Hadrian I, pope of Rome at that time.

Such practice is called simply IDOLATRY in the Bible, and is severely condemned. (Read Exodus 20:4; 3:17; Deuteronomy 27:15; Psalm 115).
Holy Water, mixed with a pinch of salt and blessed by the priest, was authorized 850
The veneration of St. Joseph began 890
The baptism of bells was instituted by Pope John XIV 965
Canonization of dead saints, first by Pope John XV

Every believer and follower of Christ is called saint in the Bible. (Read Romans 1:7; 1st Colossians 1:2).
Fasting on Fridays and during Lent were imposed

Imposed by popes said to be interested in the commerce of fish. (Bull, or permit to eat meat), some authorities say, began in the year 700. This is against the plain teaching of the Bible. (Read Matthew 15:10; 1st Corinthians 10:25; 1st Timothy 4:1-3).
The Mass was developed gradually as a sacrifice; attendance made obligatory in the 11th century.

The Bible teaches that the sacrifice of Christ was offered once and for all, and is not to be repeated, but only commemorated in the Lord's Supper. (Read Hebrews 7:27; 9:26-28; 10:10-14).

The celibacy of the priesthood was decreed by Pope Hildebrand, Boniface VII

Jesus imposed no such rule, nor did any of the apostles. On the contrary, St. Peter was a married man, and St. Paul says that bishops were to have wife and children. (Read 1st Timothy 3:2,5, and 12; Matthew 8:14-15).
The Rosary, or prayer beads was introduced by Peter the Hermit, in the year 1090. Copied from Hindus and Mohammedans

The counting of prayers is a pagan practice and is expressly condemned by Christ. (Matthew 6:5-13).
The Inquisition of heretics was instituted by the Council of Verona in the year 1184. Jesus never taught the use of force to spread His religion 1184
The sale of Indulgences, commonly regarded as a purchase of forgiveness and a permit to indulge in sin.

Christianity, as taught in the Bible, condemns such a traffic and it was the protest against this traffic that brought on the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century.
The dogma of Transubstantiation was decreed by Pope Innocent III, in the year

By this doctrine the priest pretends to perform a daily miracle by changing a wafer into the body of Christ, and then he pretends to eat Him alive in the presence of his people during Mass. The Bible condemns such absurdities; for the Lord's Supper is simply a memorial of the sacrifice of Christ. The spiritual presence of Christ is implied in the Lord's Supper. (Read Luke 22:19-20; John 6:35; 1st Corinthians 11:26).
Confession of sin to the priest at least once a year was instituted by Pope Innocent III., in the Lateran Council

The Bible commands us to confess our sins direct to God. (Read Psalm 51:1-10; Luke 7:48; 15:21; 1st John 1:8-9).
The adoration of the wafer (Host), was decreed by Pope Honorius

So the Roman Church worships a God made by human hands. This is plain idolatry and absolutely contrary to the spirit of the Gospel. (Read John 4:24).
The Bible forbidden to laymen and placed in the Index of forbidden books by the Council of Valencia

Jesus commanded that the Scriptures should be read by all. (John 5:39; 1st Timothy 3:15-17).
The Scapular was invented by Simon Stock, and English monk

It is a piece of brown cloth, with the picture of the Virgin and supposed to contain supernatural virtue to protect from all dangers those who wear it on naked skin. This is fetishism.
The Roman Church forbade the cup to the laity, by instituting the communion of one kind in the Council of Constance

The Bible commands us to celebrate the Lord's Supper with unleavened bread and the fruit of the vine. (Read Matthew 26:27; 1st Corinthians 11:26-29).
The doctrine of Purgatory was proclaimed as a dogma of faith by Council of Florence

There is not one word in the Bible that would teach the purgatory of priests. The blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sins. (Read 1st John 1:7-9; 2:1-2; John 5:24; Romans 8:1).
The doctrine of 7 Sacraments affirmed

The Bible says that Christ instituted only two ordinances, Baptism and the Lord's Supper. (Read Matthew 28:19-20; 26:26-28).
The Ave Maria, part of the last

It was completed 50 years afterward and finally approved by Pope Sixtus V, at the end of the 16th century.
The Council of Trent, held in the year 1545, declared that Tradition is of equal authority with the Bible

By tradition is meant human teachings. The Pharisees believed the same way, and Jesus bitterly condemned them, for by teaching human tradition, they nullified the commandments of God. (Read Mark 7:7-13; Colossians 2:8; Revelation 22:18).
The apocryphal books were added to the Bible also by the Council of Trent

These books were not recognized as canonical by the Jewish Church. (See Revelation 22:8-9).
The Creed of Pope Pius IV was imposed as the official creed 1560 years after Christ and the apostles

True Christians retain the Holy Scriptures as their creed. Hence their creed is 1500 years older than the creed of Roman Catholics. (Read Galatians 1:8).
The Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary was proclaimed by Pope Pius IX

The Bible states that all men, with the sole exception of Christ, are sinners. Mary herself had need of a Savior. (Read Romans 3:23; 5:12; Psalm 51:5; Luke 1:30,46,47).
In the year 1870 after Christ, Pope Pius IX proclaimed the dogma of Papal Infallibility

This is a blasphemy and the sign of the apostasy and of the antichrist predicted by St. Paul. (Read 2nd Thessalonians 2:2-12; Revelation 17:1-9; 13:5-8,18).

Many Bible students see the number of the beast (Rev. 13:18), 666 in the Roman letters of the Pope's title: "VICARIVS FILII DEI." -- V-5, I-1; C-100, I-1; V-S, I-1; L-50, I-1; I-1; D-500, I-l — Total, 666.
Pope Plus X, in the year 1907, condemned together with "Modernism", all the discoveries of modern science which are not approved by the Church

Pius IX had done the same thing in the Syllabus of 1864.
In the year 1930 Pius XI, condemned the Public Schools 1930
In the year 1931 the same pope Pius XI, reaffirmed the doctrine that Mary is "the Mother of God"

This doctrine was first invented by the Council of Ephesus in the year 431. This is a heresy contrary by Mary's own words. (Read Luke 1:46-49; John 2: l-5).
In the year 1950 the last dogma was proclaimed by Pope Pius XII, the Assumption of the Virgin Mary 1950
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

What will be the next invention? The Roman Church says it never changes; yet, it has done nothing else but invent new doctrines which are contrary to the Bible, and has practiced rites and ceremonies taken bodily from paganism. Some scholar has found that 75% of the rites and ceremonies of the Roman Church are of pagan origin.

Note: Cardinal Newman, in his book, “The Development of the Christian Religion,” admits that ... “Temples, incense, oil lamps, votive offerings, holy water, holidays and season of devotions, processions, blessing of fields, sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure (of priests and monks and nuns), images ... are all of pagan origin...” (Page 359).

HERESIES are those doctrines and practices which are contrary to the Bible. They are also called "human traditions" or "doctrines of men". Both Peter and Paul predicted and warned that in the later times "false teachers" would rise within the Church and bring in "damnable heresies" and "doctrines of devils". (Read 2nd Peter 2:1-3, and 1st Timothy 3:2-5). Jesus rebuked the Pharisees, for they transgressed the commandments of God by keeping their traditions. “in vain,” He said, "they worship me by keeping for doctrines the commandments of men" (Matthew 15:3,9).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

@Patrick Miron hi. I would like to deal with just one point of Catholic faith (could be here all year discussing this one, let alone any more) and the one I thought most vital to Catholicism when a youngster being brought up in the Catholic faith. That one point is the very first to dealt with above... The so-called universalism attributed to Rome.

Tell me, whether from your opinion or from what you have been taught, what do you suppose took place immediately after Pentecost? Did a Christian church all of a sudden appear in Rome by some miracle and upon which God placed authority over all Christian churches worldwide? Because the Bible says otherwise. The Bible says that the Christian faith grew first in Palestine, then after a few years through Paul in particular, spread elsewhere. 

Allow me to give you a little history lesson. It was in and around 35ad that Paul was converted. He then spent 3 years studying in the desert before returning to Jerusalem to preach to his fellow Jews. Having been rejected by them, he went to the gentiles. So did others, such as Peter and Philip. And Apollos. But most of the apostles started on and around Palestine. Jerusalem was where they held the first church council. A hearing to confirm Paul's ministry to the gentiles. 

The First churches to be established were in Asia minor. Ephesus, Corinth, etc. Then in 70ad, before Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans, all the Christians escaped to Perea and Antioch. It was in Antioch that they were first called Christians. Philip baptised that Ethiopian official remember? Well he went home and established an Ethiopian Christian church that survives to this day. Thomas went to India, and established the church in Goa. The"St Thomas Christians" as they are known, were renowned for mainly two things. Being persecuted by the inquisition because they refused to submit to papal authority, and for spreading the gospel into the far east. India, Assyria, Persia, Afghanistan, and China, all had large Christian communities without ANY reference or help from any Roman Bishop. The pope was not the head of those churches. Jesus was.

The Celtic church in Britain was the same. Established before the end of the 2 ND century, and a couple of hundred years before Rome sent any missionaries anywhere. In fact Augustine was a very surprised little monk when He discovered a Christian church thriving in a place he thought was full of Pagans.

All these, and more, were established through the missionary activities of churches that had no connection whatsoever with Rome. 

The only way Rome gained any supremacy at all within Christendom was through persecution of those who denied papal authority and through war. Jesus did not establish a Roman hierarchal system to lord it over everyone else... Satan did.

• This is Worthy 1

14 hours ago, brakelite said:

@Patrick Miron hi. I would like to deal with just one point of Catholic faith (could be here all year discussing this one, let alone any more) and the one I thought most vital to Catholicism when a youngster being brought up in the Catholic faith. That one point is the very first to dealt with above... The so-called universalism attributed to Rome.

Tell me, whether from your opinion or from what you have been taught, what do you suppose took place immediately after Pentecost? Did a Christian church all of a sudden appear in Rome by some miracle and upon which God placed authority over all Christian churches worldwide? Because the Bible says otherwise. The Bible says that the Christian faith grew first in Palestine, then after a few years through Paul in particular, spread elsewhere. 

Allow me to give you a little history lesson. It was in and around 35ad that Paul was converted. He then spent 3 years studying in the desert before returning to Jerusalem to preach to his fellow Jews. Having been rejected by them, he went to the gentiles. So did others, such as Peter and Philip. And Apollos. But most of the apostles started on and around Palestine. Jerusalem was where they held the first church council. A hearing to confirm Paul's ministry to the gentiles. 

The First churches to be established were in Asia minor. Ephesus, Corinth, etc. Then in 70ad, before Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans, all the Christians escaped to Perea and Antioch. It was in Antioch that they were first called Christians. Philip baptised that Ethiopian official remember? Well he went home and established an Ethiopian Christian church that survives to this day. Thomas went to India, and established the church in Goa. The"St Thomas Christians" as they are known, were renowned for mainly two things. Being persecuted by the inquisition because they refused to submit to papal authority, and for spreading the gospel into the far east. India, Assyria, Persia, Afghanistan, and China, all had large Christian communities without ANY reference or help from any Roman Bishop. The pope was not the head of those churches. Jesus was.

The Celtic church in Britain was the same. Established before the end of the 2 ND century, and a couple of hundred years before Rome sent any missionaries anywhere. In fact Augustine was a very surprised little monk when He discovered a Christian church thriving in a place he thought was full of Pagans.

All these, and more, were established through the missionary activities of churches that had no connection whatsoever with Rome. 

The only way Rome gained any supremacy at all within Christendom was through persecution of those who denied papal authority and through war. Jesus did not establish a Roman hierarchal system to lord it over everyone else... Satan did.

Dear friend in Christ; Easter Blessings.

Permit me to begin my reply with a question. How is a {any} “church” identified?

Answer: By its Faith.

It is the Common set of Faith believes; even in; especially in the early Church that defined Catholicism. Which by the way is a pragmatic AND an organic faith= Church. On religious matters there was a common set of beliefs; any others were factually heretics

Perhaps the first evidence of your error is the list of Popes {the first 25 listed here}

It hardly seems reasonable that this could take place without it being the Known and widely accepted SEE of Peter with the Authority of the same.

1. St. Peter (32-67)
  2. St. Linus (67-76)
  3. St. Anacletus (Cletus) (76-88)
  4. St. Clement I (88-97)
  5. St. Evaristus (97-105)
  6. St. Alexander I (105-115)
  7. St. Sixtus I (115-125) Also called Xystus I
  8. St. Telesphorus (125-136)
  9. St. Hyginus (136-140)
  10. St. Pius I (140-155)
  11. St. Anicetus (155-166)
  12. St. Soter (166-175)
  13. St. Eleutherius (175-189)
  14. St. Victor I (189-199)
  15. St. Zephyrinus (199-217)
  16. St. Callistus I (217-22) Callistus and the following three popes were opposed by St. Hippolytusantipope (217-236)
  17. St. Urban I (222-30)
  18. St. Pontain (230-35)
  19. St. Anterus (235-36)
  20. St. Fabian (236-50)
  21. St. Cornelius (251-53) Opposed by Novatianantipope (251)
  22. St. Lucius I (253-54)
  23. St. Stephen I (254-257)
  24. St. Sixtus II (257-258)

St. Dionysius (260-268

Here are some testimonies of the Early Catholic Fathers on the Primacy of Rome:

The Early Church Fathers on
The Primacy of Peter/Rome

The Early Church Fathers understood from the beginning that Peter and his successors held a place of primacy in the Church.

Clement of Rome

Accept our counsel and you will have nothing to regret. . . . If anyone disobeys the things which have been said by him [Jesus] through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in no small danger. We, however, shall be innocent of this sin and will pray with entreaty and supplication that the Creator of all may keep unharmed the number of his elect (Letter to the Corinthians 58:2, 59:1[A.D. 95]).

Ignatius of Antioch

You [the See of Rome] have envied no one, but others have you taught. I desire only that what you have enjoined in your instructions may remain in force (Epistle to the Romans 3:1 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus

In his famous work Against the Heresies Irenaeus–the saintly Bishop of Lyon wrote about all the different little groups who made claims to authenticity and gave them a sure fire way of knowing the truth. Writing in about the year 125 he says,

“It is possible, then, for everyone in every church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the apostles which has been made known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the apostles and their successors to our own times—men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about.

“But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the successions of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles.

With this church, because of its superior origin, all churches must agree—that is, all the faithful in the whole world—and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition” Against Heresies 3:3:2 [inter A.D. 180-190

Irenaeus

But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles. Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 [inter A.D. 180-190]).

Clement of Alexandria

[T]he blessed Peter, the chosen, the preeminent, the first among the disciples, for whom alone with himself the Savior paid the tribute [Matt. 17:27], quickly grasped and understood their meaning. And what does he say? "Behold, we have left all and have followed you" [Matt. 19:2 7, Mark 10:28] (Who is the Rich Man That is Saved? 21:3-5 [A.D. 200]).END QUOTES {there are more at this site}

At present, I have recently begun reading; “Denzinger” the Source of Catholic Dogma. {By Carl Ratner} … It’s very interesting that greatly aided by the early 4th Centuries Edict of Milan the faith that had all along been festering, growing, and slowly being practiced in many locations was gaining great and significant Dogmatic clarifications; and precisely defined critical beliefs. The Councils of Rome and the Council of Constantine.

The Council of Rome confirms the already in existence; Official Cannon of the Bible in 381

Here is a copy of some of the edicts from the Council of Constantinople in 381

“The council of Constantinople enacted four disciplinary canons: against the Arian heresy and its sects (can. 1), on limiting the power of bishops within fixed boundaries (can. 2), on ranking the see of Constantinople second to Rome in honour and dignity (can. 3), on the condemnation of Maximus and his followers (can. 4). Canons 2-4 were intended to put a stop to aggrandisement on the part of the see of Alexandria. The two following canons, 5 and 6, were framed at the synod which met in Constantinople in 382. The 7th canon is an extract from a letter which the church of Constantinople sent to Martyrius of Antioc”

YOU=The only way Rome gained any supremacy at all within Christendom was through persecution of those who denied papal authority and through war. Jesus did not establish a Roman hierarchal system to lord it over everyone else... Satan did.

My Dear in Christ;

Fortunately your position is disproved biblically and historically. By persecution one assumes you mean DEMANDING Orthodoxy of Faith beliefs and practices.

1 I don’t believe that history affirms ANY “war” between the Early Catholic Church and its heretics.

2 There is and can be only:

One True God {Triune}”Chosen People”

One True FAITH

One “Chosen PeopleExo. 6:7; which Jesus redefined to “MY CHURCH” Mt. 16:18; singular, with its ONE true set of Faith beliefs.

Actually GOD did define what HE desired as a system of Rule!

Yahweh {the same GOD} in every case choose One Man to Rule and Govern HIS “Chosen People”: Abraham, Moses, Aaron, the Judges, Kings like David and Solomon and then guides {Prophets} like Elijah, Isaiah, & Jeremiah leading to John The Baptist {the last OT prophet}, who lead to Jesus, who in turn selected HIS 12 Apostles Mt 10:1-4 with Peter as its ONE MAN leader: Mt 16: 15-19 { He Jesus gives to Peter all of the Key’s to heaven’s Gate}  & John 21: 13- 17  [13] And Jesus cometh and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish in like manner. [14] This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested to his disciples, after he was risen from the dead.[15] When therefore they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter: Simon son of John, lovest thou me more than these? He saith TO HIM Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith TO HIM Feed my lambs.

[16] He saith TO HIM again: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith TO HIM Feed my lambs[17] He said TO HIM the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said TO HIM the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said TO HIM Feed my sheep”

So my friend, the One Man Rule was a carryover from OT Traditions. Once again we find Jesus perfecting what He had begun ages before

CANONS: Council of Constantinople 381 AD

The profession of faith of the holy fathers who gathered in Nicaea in Bithynia is not to be abrogated, but it is to remain in force. Every heresy is to be anathematised and in particular that of the Eunomians or Anomoeans, that of the Arians or Eudoxians, that of the Semi-Arians or Pneumatomachi, that of the Sabellians that of the Marcellians, that of the Photinians and that of the Apollinarians.

Diocesan bishops are not to intrude in churches beyond their own boundaries nor are they to confuse the churches: but in accordance with the canons, the bishop of Alexandria is to administer affairs in Egypt only; the bishops of the East are to manage the East alone (whilst safeguarding the privileges granted to the church of the Antiochenes in the Nicene canons); and the bishops of the Asian diocese are to manage only Asian affairs; and those in Pontus only the affairs of Pontus; and those in Thrace only Thracian affairs. Unless invited bishops are not to go outside their diocese to perform an ordination or any other ecclesiastical business. If the letter of the canon about dioceses is kept, it is clear that the provincial synod will manage affairs in each province, as was decreed at Nicaea. But the churches of God among barbarian peoples must be administered in accordance with the custom in force at the time of the fathers.

Because it is new Rome, the bishop of Constantinople is to enjoy the privileges of honour after the bishop of Rome.

Regarding Maximus the Cynic and the disorder which surrounded him in Constantinople: he never became, nor is he, a bishop; nor are those ordained by him clerics of any rank whatsoever. Everything that was done both to him and by him is to be held invalid.

Regarding the Tome [2] of the Westerns: we have also recognised those in Antioch who confess a single Godhead of Father and Son and holy Spirit.

There are many who are bent on confusing and overturning the good order of the church and so fabricate, out of hatred and a wish to slander, certain accusations against orthodox bishops in charge of churches. Their intention is none other than to blacken priests’ reputations and to stir up trouble among peace- loving laity. For this reason the sacred synod of bishops assembled at Constantinople has decided not to admit accusers without prior examination, and not to allow everyone to bring accusations against church administrators — but with- out excluding everyone…..

If anyone shows contempt of the prescriptions regarding the above matters and presumes to bother either the ears of the emperor or the courts of the secular authorities, or to dishonour all the diocesan bishops and trouble an ecumenical synod, there is to be no question whatever of allowing such a person to bring accusations forward, because he has made a mockery of the canons and violated the good order of the church.

Those who embrace orthodoxy and join the number of those who are being saved from the heretics, we receive in the following regular and customary manner: Arians, Macedonians, Sabbatians, Novatians, those who call themselves Cathars and Aristae, Quartodeciman or Tetradites, Apollinarians-these we receive when they hand in statements and anathematise every heresy which is not of the same mind as the holy, catholic and apostolic church of God. They are first sealed or anointed with holy chrism on the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth and ears. As we seal them we say: “Seal of the gift of the holy Spirit”. But Eunomians, who are baptised in a single immersion, Montanists (called Phrygians here), Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son and make certain other difficulties, and all other sects — since there are many here, not least those who originate in the country of the Galatians — we receive all who wish to leave them and embrace orthodoxy as we do Greeks. On the first day we make Christians of them, on the second catechumens, on the third we exorcise them by breathing three times into their faces and their ears, and thus we catechise them and make them spend time in the church and listen to the scriptures; and then we baptise them.

Introduction and translation taken from Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, ed. Norman P. Tanner END QUOTES

The Council of Rome confirms the already in existence; Official Cannon of the Bible in 381

Council of Rome in 382
Question from Ryan Mayer on 6/6/2001:

It seems like every timeline or history of the Popes (even Catholic ones) skip right over the proclamation of the 73 books as to be regarded as scripture by Pope Damasus. Why is this? Isn't this a major event in Church history? I realize that the canon was defined again at Carthage, Hippo and Trent, but why is Rome skipped over?

Answer by Dr. Warren Carroll on 6/7/2000:

Because most historians (unwisely, I agree with you, but most of them are not involved in apologetics with Protestants) take it for granted that the Church tells us what books are Scripture, and know that Pope Damasus and the Council of Rome in 382 simply confirmed the existing Bible. I probably did not stress it enough in my history THE BUILDING OF CHRISTENDOM, but do mention it on page 57. If I were to do it again, with the experience I have had particularly in this Forum, I would stress it much more. But we do have to remember that the Protestant exclusion of books from the Catholic Bible has absolutely no historical foundation. - Dr. Carroll

COPYRIGHT 201

Sincere thanks for taking the time to POST your thoughts;

Easter Blessings,

Patrick

Edited by Patrick Miron

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I used to work with a catholic and they do pray to Mary. I have seen them on tv saying oh mother of something. That's praying to Mary. She also needed Jesus to die for her. Catholics also believe that Mary remained a virgin. Jesus had brothers and sisters.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

On 2/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, Wayne222 said:

There are true Christians in the Catholic church. I know a lot of what they do is not biblical. But the SDA Is not biblical as well. When the true Antichrist appears he will not be a pope but a Muslim more then likely.

Actually I think the antichrist will be a jew. The jewish  already know how muslims feel about them. The antichrist needs to be accepted by the jewish people.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, tigger398 said:

Actually I think the antichrist will be a jew. The jewish  already know how muslims feel about them. The antichrist needs to be accepted by the jewish people.

Nobody really knows. That is not really true that  he needs to be accepted. The bible says he will deceive by his signs. The jews will be fooled by his signs like the rest of the world.