• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all, I have a question for anyone that is  of an age that they do not yet  have Medicare, and have to purchase health insurance or some  plan of protection so that medical care is available when needed. The question is: what have you found to be the current situation, can you secure insurance at this time? Have you found the cooperative type Christian based sharing plans to be valid for your own needs?  Do you belong to one? I ask in order to get a better idea of how I might assist a family member, if I can at all.

Thanks.

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi all, I have a question for anyone that is  of an age that they do not yet  have Medicare, and have to purchase health insurance or some  plan of protection so that medical care is available when needed. The question is: what have you found to be the current situation, can you secure insurance at this time? Have you found the cooperative type Christian based sharing plans to be valid for your own needs?  Do you belong to one? I ask in order to get a better idea of how I might assist a family member, if I can at all.

Thanks.

I have insurance through my employer, they pay a portion of it and I pay the remainder. I've looked into the Christian sharing plans and it didn't seem to be something that would really benefit one with any real health issues. I'd say insurance is readily available but the costs may be higher than they can afford to pay.  

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Thanks.

If a person is older and has medicare it does not mean they do not have to pay for it. There are advantage plans that are quite expensive for those who are retired.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I'll try to make this short.

Just turning 65 myself, I had to make some tough choices, in a sea of complicated information. As a retired Federal employee my term life insurance went from $250,000.00 to $17,000.00 from the time I retired to age 65. I had to decide if I wanted to keep my Blue Cross health plan, paying out of pocket about $5,000.00 per year, since I was now on Medicare. Decisions - decisions?

Anyway to make a long story short... With the research I did, I couldn't find a better deal with reputable and established health / life insurance companies than through AARP. You might look at their website  https://www.aarp.org/ and see if this fits your needs? Naturally a person has to join and become a member to take advantage of their group plans, but it's not that expensive. Hope this helps and God bless.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

If a person is older and has medicare it does not mean they do not have to pay for it. There are advantage plans that are quite expensive for those who are retired.

I have one myself. Don't know that I would call it expensive, fact I don't even remember if it has a premium that I pay above Medicare. So far it seems excellent, much much better than I was able to  get  from group health or private plans, before I finally opted to go with taking SS retirement and medicare benefits.

I am inquiring about people not yet geezers like me. Wondering what they are finding is working for them, if anything. Primarily for the benefit of  some family younger than myself as they search  possibililties.

oops the dreaded double post again, sorry.

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

I left my last job about 1.5 years ago and went on COBRA for a few months (to the tune of about $1500/month).  Fortunately, I was doing some consulting and being paid via a staffing agency so I became eligible for their group plan at the beginning of last year (but paying it entirely out of pocket).  After that gig was done, we ended up on COBRA again (which will run through march 2019).  It's running about $1K/month with about a $5K deductible.

We'll worry later about what to do next year.  We're quite aways from medicare so we're probably looking at the equivalent of buying a modest home in premium payments until then. 

These plans have been for my wife and I.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

18 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

I have one myself. Don't know that I would call it expensive, fact I don't even remember if it has a premium that I pay above Medicare. So far it seems excellent, much much better than I was able to  get  from group health or private plans, before I finally opted to go with taking SS retirement and medicare benefits.

I am inquiring about people not yet geezers like me. Wondering what they are finding is working for them, if anything. Primarily for the benefit of  some family younger than myself as they search  possibililties.

There are good medical insurance companies and there are bad medical insurance companies. You have to do your research. Being retired from the medical profession I knew the inside of the good and the bad.

There are many out there who are not even insured.

Yes MissMuffett, that is why  I am trying to assist a family member.

All the brochures and provider happy talking points are not as valuable as real life experiences willingly shared by  consumers about whatever is out there today for insurance policies and companies.

Right now I am interested in programs available to Floridians.

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I left my last job about 1.5 years ago and went on COBRA for a few months (to the tune of about $1500/month).  Fortunately, I was doing some consulting and being paid via a staffing agency so I became eligible for their group plan at the beginning of last year (but paying it entirely out of pocket).  After that gig was done, we ended up on COBRA again (which will run through march 2019).  It's running about $1K/month with about a $5K deductible.

We'll worry later about what to do next year.  We're quite aways from medicare so we're probably looking at the equivalent of buying a modest home in premium payments until then. 

These plans have been for my wife and I.

Awful expensive isn't it!  Praise God for the provision though.