• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Another windy......

Must be getting short on topics again. My first bible given to me by my pastor was a KJV. But I didn't know that. Still use it thirty five yr later. Could have been a living bible, wouldn't have known the difference. (Really)
I cannot understand why this topic has such interest, though I see the reasons for challenging the "my way or the Highway" crowd.

I build things, mostly using wood. Tools are extremely important  to me. On a woodworkers forum I belong to, Tools dominate discussions. Use the best tool for each job. Most guys here, some gals also, know American made Snap On is one of, if not the best mechanics brand of tools. I only have very few Snap On wrenches, all used flea market ones. My tool shopping, due to economics, has mostly been garage sales, flea markets, Craigslist, etc. Craftsman!  Fifty years in the trades, I have seen the shops of many craftsmen, photos or in person. And I have noticed a similarity and a split among them. So many have have a very professional looking shop, the very best tools very well laid out. Drool drool, lust, lust. And extremely clean, and many safety items in place. And MAYBE, a cute little project, a gift box with fancy dove tail joints, will be shown to me, with pride. These shops are usually owned by retired professionals who always wanted to dabble in wood. Floors spanking clean, no dust.
Other shops, like mine, are mostly in chaos, with too many cabinets laying around waiting to be finished, wood stacked all over the place, saw dust, deep saw dust everywhere, a machine or two  taken apart, waiting for maintenance or repair, hoping to get a few more miles. Don't forget the deadline.
The difference. One shop is for entertaining and pleasure, and prestige, posting photos on our forum, for all to see.
Only the best version of tools.
The other one is for results, to use every tool, whatever version,  to it's maximum. To actually transform raw material into a useful product for the consumer. Resulting in value added profit. And happy customers. Tools are important. But, having the best tools does NOT guarantee the best use of them. Auguring over the best tools does not actually make anything.
I have seen a U-Tube video of a kid in India, sitting on the side of a busy street, making a Chess set to sell. He had a board with a small wheel, a string and pedal, ONE TOOL, a chisel, and a piece of wood in his small crude wood lathe. Within minutes, he created with HIS FEET, a beautiful chess piece. Within hours, a complete  stunning set. One chisel, and a lot of heart, a lot of USING what he knew, putting it into PRACTICE, what he learned.  
Concerning bibles, I have not found anything about the KJV over the years that would cause me concern, in what I believe. The issue for me is,
what am I doing about what I have learned? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

Sorry but its the truth that many of them ARE corrupted due to Satanic activity. Its known, for example, that the JW "bible" was written with the inspiration of an occultist.

The NIV bible is based largely on corrupt Westcott/Hort texts and these two men themselves were known occultists

Outside the JWs, no one accepts the NWT (New World Translation) as anything other than a biased translation.

Much of the stuff in this thread is based on material originating with SDA Benjamin Wilkinson (in his 1930 book "Our Authorized Bible Vindicated") which influenced Baptist David Otis Fuller (who wrote "Which Bible") which was then picked up by people like Peter Ruckman and Gail Riplinger.  This is a fringe movement much like the flat earth movement that is by and large rejected by most Christians.  It's ironic that someone (Wilkinson) who during a significant 1919 SDA conference is reported to have supported the idea the Ellen G White's writings were inerrant is one of the original sources of this movement.  

Here's a link to a PDF of Wilkinson's book on an SDA site. http://www.sdadefend.com/Living-Word/Wilkinson/AuthorizedBibleTOC.htm  One can read it for oneself and see how much of what is being repeated nearly verbatim today was written by him back in 1930.  It's fascinating to me that the first major attacks on Westscott and Hort came from an SDA teacher (who was Dean of Theology at an SDA school) who cherry picked individual sentences out of years of their writings and personal correspondence to "prove" they were heretics and occultists.   Here is another book which is his response to critics.  http://www.sdadefend.com/Living-Word/Answers2Objections/Answers-TOC.htm   Again, I emphasize that both of these links are on an SDA site which includes many other works that defend their views.  I am providing these links NOT as an endorsement but for informational purposes.

The person running this SDA site feels quite strongly about Wilkinson's work.  Here are their comments about Wilkinson's second book.  I quote this directly and leave their boldface and editing in place.

Many in our denomination are "pushing" the use of the New International Version and repressing the use of the King James Version from the pulpits. Since our doctrines, particularly the Investigative Judgment and 2300-Day Prophecy cannot be taught from the NIV, our people should be made aware of the dangers of this Romanized Bible being foisted upon them.

It is time our members studied for themselves the history of the English Bible, and its many modern versions. If we are to adopt the NIV as a standard for use in the pulpit and in our schools, then we might as well give up being Seventh-day Adventists and join the ecumenical movement back to Rome. This is not an idle statement, Just a real, honest bit of study will soon reveal how the enemy has crept within our ranks.

At the time OUR AUTHORIZED BIBLE VINDICATED was published, the NIV had not come on the scene. Wilkinson's main concern was with the Revised Version and the American Revision, both springing from the works of Westcott and Hort (on the RV), All modern versions also have taken their basis from the Westcott-Hort Greek Text, It is time we re-examined their sources and reasoning. Our very denomination is at stake!

I repeat.  It is one thing to have personal reasons to prefer the KJV as one of many translations of scripture.  It is by far another to basically tell other Christians to throw away every other version than the KJV because they are being mislead by satan.  What is recommended for Christians who have non-KJV bibles?  burn them?  throw them away?  Should Christians leave any church that is not KJV-only?   It is one thing to enter into dialog with other Christians about textual and translational issues as to what versions are most accurate and best to use.  It is another to as a matter of faith choose one version to stand on and accuse all Christians who disagree as being under satan's influence.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

36 minutes ago, Davida said:

Oh  I silly me! :P  I thought it was an adult conversation.

It still is as far as I know. 

20 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I repeat.  It is one thing to have personal reasons to prefer the KJV as one of many translations of scripture.  It is by far another to basically tell other Christians to throw away every other version than the KJV because they are being mislead by satan.  What is recommended for Christians who have non-KJV bibles?  burn them?  throw them away?  Should Christians leave any church that is not KJV-only?   It is one thing to enter into dialog with other Christians about textual and translational issues as to what versions are most accurate and best to use.  It is another to as a matter of faith choose one version to stand on and accuse all Christians who disagree as being under satan's influence.

Wow thank you for such good information. :41:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, Giller said:

There are tons of scriptures that can be shared, that shows the watering down of the bible, in other bible versions, in fact there are a lot of scriptures that I have personally found in my own personal study, that I have not shared on Worhty, which I am not sure if I would share these here, because I think that most would reject it, not really giving careful thought to it.

And also maybe in the realm of most people not being ready to even hear it.

Right now I am reading a good book on the issue called: "Neither oldest, Nor best" by David H. Sorenson.

It doesn't matter:

A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

...So, whether we read one translation or another it does not change where the Lord directs our steps. The difference in translations then, is only the result of God Himself confounding all language at the tower of Babel, which confounding is of no consequence to those who are His, for He directs them regardless. His strength is made perfect in spite of our imperfections in conveying His word. Providence of His word is His, not the folly of men.

1 hour ago, Butero said:

I didn't get my beliefs from a book.  I compared translations for myself.

I did too! Though I am not a KJV only person. But it is beautifully written.   Take Psalm 23 verse 1. "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."  It just says it  beautifully.:)

But some people have trouble understand all them "Yea's, thou's and thy's". Even I have trouble sometimes reading somethings from the KJV. But then I look up the verse in a different translation, then I am like "oh I get it now".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

On 2/13/2018 at 7:15 PM, KingJamesVersionBibleOnly said:

That is a truly sad statement, I feel like the King James Version Bible is a flawless and 100% whole and perfect translation of God. By God's Decision, Shown in proof by God's work and will , in efforts for it to be chosen to lead the English speaking people to God's absolutely pure and perfect word.

- 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 (KJV)

So what you are saying is that the translators where inspired by the Holy Spirit, just like the original authors, when they translated the Textus Receptus. This is what we call dual inspiration and it is not scriptural. 

I've always ask this question but no King James only person can answer the question honestly. Here is the question, "In order to get the official Word of God, do people who speak different languages have to learn English in order to get the true Word of God (aka KJV Bible)?"

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Just now, Jaydog1976 said:

I've always ask this question but no King James only person can answer the question honestly. Here is the question, "In order to get the official Word of God, do people who speak different languages have to learn English in order to get the true Word of God (aka KJV Bible)?"

No.

Also, It is much more rare than that (what they have to do). (a lot of people learn English, yet know nothing).

"Seek the Father,  and His Understanding by His Revelation in spirit."

"Written on their heart"  as is written in Scripture. (Romans 2, for 1)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

No.

Also, It is much more rare than that (what they have to do). (a lot of people learn English, yet know nothing).

"Seek the Father,  and His Understanding by His Revelation in spirit."

"Written on their heart"  as is written in Scripture. (Romans 2, for 1)

So then the point has to be made that what is the difference between let's say a Spanish translation of God's Word versus the KJV? They are both translations. So if those that hold to the KJV as the most accurate translation would have say that in order to read God's Word you would have to learn English since the KJV is, in their opinion, the best and most accurate translation.