• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

8 minutes ago, Giller said:

You would be surprised.

I've been surprised before.

7 minutes ago, Giller said:

Think the falling away and ecumenicalism.

Do they even read ANY Bible Scripture ?   I thought they just go with the crowd believing what someone up front or from rome tells them ?  i.e. even with a watered down Scripture,  even perhaps only one book,  if they read it and believed the truth (even like a little child trusting the Father in heaven) ,  they wouldn't be falling away nor deceived by ecumenicalism ..... 

And it looks like those promoting false teachings in church(es) and on the internet have quite a strong 'knowledge' of Scripture, even sometimes Hebrew and Greek and more....  it doesn't help them at all.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12

8 minutes ago, Giller said:

And some verses in other translations change the whole meaning of things, even in respect to certain aspects of salvation, even though yes there is enough there to lead people to Christ, but certain other scriptures, which change the meanings, are being used to deceive, either through some false teacher, or the person reading it themselves.

We can't actually go into depth on a forum like this one,  for several reasons.....  but searching and seeking for the truth, and continuing to seek the truth, always,  people may eventually find out that "the whole meaning of certain aspects "  are quite different than they thought all of their lives,  and finding the truth even about Salvation is not subject to scholarship, but revelation from the Father as He is Pleased to DO,  as Jesus says in the Gospels.

35 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

Instead of telling others what they should do, you need to read the discussion for yourself.

KJVBO is right.  I fully trust my KJV Bible.  I don't feel the need to translation shop or translation compare to get the truth.  In saying that, I am not claiming divine inspiration for the translation so much as I have full confidence that the translators used the best possible English word to correspond to the Greek or Hebrew word.  I don't believe the KJV Bible has mistakes.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Days Won:  28

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Outside the JWs, no one accepts the NWT (New World Translation) as anything other than a biased translation.

Much of the stuff in this thread is based on material originating with SDA Benjamin Wilkinson (in his 1930 book "Our Authorized Bible Vindicated") which influenced Baptist David Otis Fuller (who wrote "Which Bible") which was then picked up by people like Peter Ruckman and Gail Riplinger.  This is a fringe movement much like the flat earth movement that is by and large rejected by most Christians.  It's ironic that someone (Wilkinson) who during a significant 1919 SDA conference is reported to have supported the idea the Ellen G White's writings were inerrant is one of the original sources of this movement.  

Here's a link to a PDF of Wilkinson's book on an SDA site. http://www.sdadefend.com/Living-Word/Wilkinson/AuthorizedBibleTOC.htm  One can read it for oneself and see how much of what is being repeated nearly verbatim today was written by him back in 1930.  It's fascinating to me that the first major attacks on Westscott and Hort came from an SDA teacher (who was Dean of Theology at an SDA school) who cherry picked individual sentences out of years of their writings and personal correspondence to "prove" they were heretics and occultists.   Here is another book which is his response to critics.  http://www.sdadefend.com/Living-Word/Answers2Objections/Answers-TOC.htm   Again, I emphasize that both of these links are on an SDA site which includes many other works that defend their views.  I am providing these links NOT as an endorsement but for informational purposes.

The person running this SDA site feels quite strongly about Wilkinson's work.  Here are their comments about Wilkinson's second book.  I quote this directly and leave their boldface and editing in place.

Many in our denomination are "pushing" the use of the New International Version and repressing the use of the King James Version from the pulpits. Since our doctrines, particularly the Investigative Judgment and 2300-Day Prophecy cannot be taught from the NIV, our people should be made aware of the dangers of this Romanized Bible being foisted upon them.

It is time our members studied for themselves the history of the English Bible, and its many modern versions. If we are to adopt the NIV as a standard for use in the pulpit and in our schools, then we might as well give up being Seventh-day Adventists and join the ecumenical movement back to Rome. This is not an idle statement, Just a real, honest bit of study will soon reveal how the enemy has crept within our ranks.

At the time OUR AUTHORIZED BIBLE VINDICATED was published, the NIV had not come on the scene. Wilkinson's main concern was with the Revised Version and the American Revision, both springing from the works of Westcott and Hort (on the RV), All modern versions also have taken their basis from the Westcott-Hort Greek Text, It is time we re-examined their sources and reasoning. Our very denomination is at stake!

I repeat.  It is one thing to have personal reasons to prefer the KJV as one of many translations of scripture.  It is by far another to basically tell other Christians to throw away every other version than the KJV because they are being mislead by satan.  What is recommended for Christians who have non-KJV bibles?  burn them?  throw them away?  Should Christians leave any church that is not KJV-only?   It is one thing to enter into dialog with other Christians about textual and translational issues as to what versions are most accurate and best to use.  It is another to as a matter of faith choose one version to stand on and accuse all Christians who disagree as being under satan's influence.

Excuse me but my info about Westcott and Hort did not come from an SDA. They have actually admitted to the truth themselves and stated how much they hated the Textus Receptus even without reading it.

http://bibleready.org/Westcott_and_Hort.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

10 hours ago, simplejeff said:

There are many people/multitudes on earth/ and many visitors to forums who are already led astray by false gospels,  false prophets, false teachers, false teachings, and greedy or impure motives,

but

who has been led astray by a watered down bible translation !?

A watered down version wont lead ONE who is of Christ astray.   Nope that one wont settle for that version .  Jeff you right.    When I read those words

the clear remembrance of my own walk in Christ reminding me of things even from the beginning.

God put the love of truth on my heart.     Even as I tried to read a writing from rick warren ,  EMPTY just all empty,  but bible SO EDIFYING.

a false version wont lead no lamb OF JESUS astray , FOR CHRIST has THAT one and the LOVE of truth is on their heart , they wont like , nor will anything

less than pure truth Fill them.    That is how it was and is for me .  

The only way I can describe what I am saying is , it is the ONE TRUE SPIRIT at work in those born again

and I am telling us all,   IT alone changes the hearts desire and TRUTH alone Is the ONLY THING that will have any flavor for that sheep.

Ninetynine percent truth with one percent lie ,  WILL NOT even remotely do anything to or for the sheep that truly is in Christ .

Its truly as though JESUS own words come alive within that one , for everything HE said ,  IS ON THE HEART from day one

EVEN if that one has not yet that learned knowledge, the DESIRES are their .   And as they feed from the pages in that bible or hear truth spoken as well

they grow and learn and become ever wise unto salvation through faith in Christ .

The only way I know how to truly describe this,   IS by simply saying what JESUS once said.   MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE  and any strangers voice THEY FLEE.

ITS ALIVE .

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

14 hours ago, Davida said:

That is not exactly right , and that has nothing to do with what we are speaking of. The Bible is GOD-Breathed and it is very important to go by the best translation.   God was not just wanting someone to get the general essence of it.

Now we are squabbling...

But you too are forgetting several parts of the truth, that God Himself "confounded all language at the tower of Babel" and also declared that "all things come in parables" and therefore "the scriptures must be discerned spiritually."

Nonetheless, His "word will not return void."

Edited by ScottA

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

13 hours ago, Butero said:

That is not what he got onto the lawyers about.  The Pharisees and lawyers were supposed to be in Moses' seat, and they were supposed to teach the law.  Most of their accusations were about accusing Jesus and his disciples.  They were not done out of sincerity.  There were instances where they were gotten onto for traditions outside of the law, like washing their hands before they ate, but most of the problem with the religious leaders had nothing to do with them not understanding the spirit of the law.  Why in the world would Jesus make light of his own Word, and be just fine with them getting it only 90 percent right?  What kind of sense would that make?  

Because "seeing they did not see, and hearing they did not hear, nor did they understand."

15 minutes ago, ScottA said:

Because "seeing they did not see, and hearing they did not hear, nor did they understand."

The whole truth was withheld from the multitudes, but the true disciples were given the understanding.  Perhaps we should keep the KJV Bible for the children and give the others to the blind so they will remain blind.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12

7 minutes ago, Butero said:

The whole truth was withheld from the multitudes, but the true disciples were given the understanding.  Perhaps we should keep the KJV Bible for the children and give the others to the blind.  

hahaha

The religious leaders and the scholars had/have the best available,  and remained not just blind, but actively opposed Jesus and thwarted YHVH'S Plan for their lives. 

As Jesus Says Today "Praise Your Name Heavenly Father,  for Revealing Everything Concerning Salvation to the little children ,  and for hiding the Truth from the scholars,  for thus it is your good pleasure so to do" ....

• Praise God! 1