Sign in to follow this  
LadyKay

Trump Wants To Replace Food Stamps With Boxes

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

Stores are fined and people go to jail if they get caught buying or selling their food cards.  Undercover cops I say. Like they do when they check to see if the gas station is selling smokes to people under age. 

Grocery stores operate on very thin profit margins. They do not have the manpower to "waste" checking everyones grocery items against the food cards. That also assumes they want to check it. Undercover cops do not remotely catch most of the fraud. 

i remember the boxes.   a neighbor always gave my mom the peanut butter out of his box.  it was a big container.  he said the peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth.  it was pretty good.  not the best, but still good.  the cheese wasnt to bad either.   the crackers were very good.

the real reason they dont like it is because the whole welfare plan is a liberal scheme. 

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Stores are fined and people go to jail if they get caught buying or selling their food cards.  Undercover cops I say. Like they do when they check to see if the gas station is selling smokes to people under age. 

I can tell you from personal experience that food card fraud is rampant. I learned that from my time staying in a homeless shelter - there's a market for just about anything you can think of on the street. There's a few you didn't think of too. It was a real eye opener. There are many more people selling food cards than cops enforcing the rules.

I remember those food boxes when I was a kid. Our family didn't get them, but some of our friends did. I'm probably dating myself, but we (my brother and I) grew up on tinned (canned) food and what ever would grow in the garden. Yeah, we got to work the garden after school too. :) Granted, fresh can taste better, but if canned all you have you make do. 

8 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Many do not have that option of cash. You buy your food and pay for it with your card.

In most places you do have that option and it contributes to fraud.

8 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Grocery stores operate on very thin profit margins. They do not have the manpower to "waste" checking everyones grocery items against the food cards. That also assumes they want to check it. Undercover cops do not remotely catch most of the fraud. 

No I'm talking about people selling their food cards.  You send someone in the store with a food card and see if the person will buy it. Then when they do they are busted. I think I saw it on the News with an undercover video. 

Well over all I think it will be interesting to see how this works.  I wonder though, is the box coming to your house? Or is there some place you have to go to pick up the box.  What if you can't get there on the right day? Will you go without your box? Oh I have so many questions about this. So much to think about. :39:

20 hours ago, missmuffet said:

It is a controlling thing. People want to go to the grocery store and get what they want. Bad idea :(

Tax money is being used for this program.  Why shouldn't it be controlled?  It is one thing if you work for your money, and quite another if we are speaking of welfare.  

There is one reason I like this idea, and believe it would save a lot of money.  There is too much food stamp abuse.  People will sell food stamps for less than face value in exchange for cash to buy drugs, and others have been doing the same thing to use to gamble.  There is no telling how much fraud and abuse there has been, and this would reduce that problem.  They could try to sell the food for money, but it wouldn't be that easy.  This is the first time I have heard of this idea, but given the abuse taking place, I like it.  

this is in the small city that I live in .....   Shawnee Oklahoma.        The Box idea could work, it is here   https://www.facebook.com/ourcommunitymarketofpottawatomiecounty/

My biggest concern is that is it possible for it to work with the government controlling it???                This place is helping about six thousand people a year on a monthly basis getting food from the Oklahoma Food Bank and other local donations from grocery stores and farmers.    They also have a garden growing their own food that is about to be greatly enlarged.....

Would the box idea work.....     potentially yes it could.....   can the government make it happen......   well that's a different question.

You might want to spend some time on this facebook site and see how it works here....

Sign in to follow this