IGNORED

What's the difference between a person's Rights, Desires, and Preferences?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I've been studying Matthew 5:38-41 and have been pondering this question. Particularly as it pertains to "yielding rights" and "dying to self" so many people speak. I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

For although we do live in the world, we do not wage war in a worldly way; because the weapons we use to wage war are not worldly. On the contrary, they have God’s power for demolishing strongholds. We demolish arguments and every arrogance that raises itself up against the knowledge of God; we take every thought captive and make it obey the Messiah.

And when you have become completely obedient, then we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience.

• Praise God! 1

12 hours ago, simplejeff said:

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

For although we do live in the world, we do not wage war in a worldly way; because the weapons we use to wage war are not worldly. On the contrary, they have God’s power for demolishing strongholds. We demolish arguments and every arrogance that raises itself up against the knowledge of God; we take every thought captive and make it obey the Messiah.

And when you have become completely obedient, then we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience.

Hiya :) @simplejeff That's a good passage of Scripture was there anything in particular you'd like to add commentary on? How does this relate to the OP?

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

13 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

The goal in Christ Jesus.  ^^^ 

Complete obedience.  

From the title or op:  about "Rights, desires, and preferences" 

What to do with rights, desires and preferences  ?

"...and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One), ... "

After >>

And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites and desires.

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified.

Galatians 2:20 [Full Chapter]
I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

=========================================================

Colossians 3 King James Version (KJV)

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

==========================================================

The directions from YHVH on

what to do with the things and emotions and feelings and motives and desires of the heart 

(i.e. "rights , desires and preferences" )

are totally and perfectly revealed in His Word.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

I've been studying Matthew 5:38-41 and have been pondering this question. Particularly as it pertains to "yielding rights" and "dying to self" so many people speak. I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

God bless,
GE

When our hearts desire is what does GOD consider RIGHT , what Is HIS DESIRE and what DOES HE PREFER.    now that is where out hearts and minds should be.

An example it may be a persons right to live in sin,  it might be a persons desire to walk in sin,  and his preference might be to choose sin.

BIG NO NO in GODS EYES.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

God bless,
GE

The scripture you quoted above doesn't need any help to understand, as it is spelled out very understandably.  It has always been to me one of those "that is God's extreme perfection, not obtainable for me. Yet" I haven't had anyone slap me on the face, but I honestly  don't believe I would respond as the Lord commands. Growing up a working stiff, putting in the extra effort and hours for my family, I find it hard to think I would see someone taking our possessions and then, turn around and give him more of them. I don't lend, I don't borrow. Both to me are viewed as avoidable trouble. I would rather simply give. Because you can't out give God.  I feel not punishing someone for theft would encourage more theft. To see a homeless man on a cold day take my jacket out of the back of my pick up to stay warm would be a blessing, he was cold, without a covering. I have several more jackets. To see a youth steal my daughters bicycle, I would chase him down. Sorry, being honest.
Dying to self is one of the most difficult and  final steps in growing as a Christian. To me. It deals with your communing with God. He knows our heart. I sin a hundred times more with my mind, then in my actions.

Our Father, the vine tender, helps me greatly to this dying to self. As branches grafted into the true vine, I abide in the vine, the spiritual nutrients flow from the vine to me, and fruit is produced. (For others) This glorifies the Father. When I became a Christian, my branch (me) was  very long, like the wild mustang grape vines. Lotta vine, very little fruit. But our Father, the husbandman, the vine dresser, takes care of that. He prunes me. He cuts off all the unnecessary branch, (me). All that growth that produced no fruit, maybe a job, a friend, a possession keeping me from church, a home, Rights, Desires, and Preferences. So eventually, there is very little branch (Me) and much fruit. This pleases, glorifies, the Father.

The key is, Abide. In Christ. Without Christ, I can do nothing. A branch laying on the ground cannot produce fruit. Also, when we do lose that "perfect" job, friend, home, desire, right, etc, doesn't always mean I'm being chastised, could very well be the Father at work. Pruning His Garden.
I have to rid myself of the thinking "How can (I)  do this better. If not, then I get the tap on the shoulder, reminding me (I) can do nothing. I must reckon my
self dead. I live, but not (I). CHRIST lives in me. I'm a NEW CREATURE!

Abide

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I think I missed your intent of the OP.  Great topic, GE   And tough.

"What's the difference between a person's Rights, Desires, and Preferences?"

I may prefer a lot of salt on my food. Not healthy.
I may desire to be healthy. No salt.
I have no right to be healthy.
Weather I consume much or little salt.

Best I can come up with, as it's almost midnight. I desire to get at least five hours sleep, but prefer eight. I  don't have the right to keep my wife up with the noise discussing with  the computer again......:cool:

11 hours ago, simplejeff said:

The goal in Christ Jesus.  ^^^ 

Complete obedience.  

From the title or op:  about "Rights, desires, and preferences" 

What to do with rights, desires and preferences  ?

"...and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One), ... "

The directions from YHVH on what to do with the things and emotions and feelings and motives and desires of the heart (i.e. "rights , desires and preferences" ) are totally and perfectly revealed in His Word.

I see what you're saying. Perhaps the OP was not clear of what I was trying to ask?

You mentioned "revealed in His Word..." Do people in general {and Christians} have rights according to the Bible?

You hear a lot about "yielding my rights" in Christian circles.

For the sake of discussion let's define and answer the question "what is a right?" so we are not talking over one another.

Perhaps this is a good working definition: "That which belongs to a person by law, nature, or tradition".

For example, in the Bible in Exodus 20 ( <- click for link) and the last six of the Ten Commandments relating to human interactions seem to unmistakably imply human rights:

1. Honor your father and mother - implies the right of parents to be treated with respect by children.
  2. Do not kill - implies the right to life.
  3. Do not commit adultery - implies the right to spousal faithfulness.
  4. Do not steal or do not covet - imply the right to property.
  5. Do not bear false witness - implies the right to an honest presentation of one's position or reputation.

What do you think?

God bless,

GE

10 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

When our hearts desire is what does GOD consider RIGHT , what Is HIS DESIRE and what DOES HE PREFER.    now that is where out hearts and minds should be.

An example it may be a persons right to live in sin,  it might be a persons desire to walk in sin,  and his preference might be to choose sin.

BIG NO NO in GODS EYES.   

Hi @frienduff thaylorde:)

See post above to SimpleJeff. I think I agree with what you have said. Again, I'm not sure how clear my OP was. Let me try to give an example and rephrase. 

Let's talk about respect and dignity for a minute. Which one is the best answer?

A. Right - A person should be treated with respect and dignity.

B. Desire - A person may have the desire to be treated with respect and dignity.

C. Preference - A person would like to be treated with respect and dignity.

God bless,
GE

9 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

The scripture you quoted above doesn't need any help to understand, as it is spelled out very understandably.  It has always been to me one of those "that is God's extreme perfection, not obtainable for me. Yet" I haven't had anyone slap me on the face, but I honestly  don't believe I would respond as the Lord commands. Growing up a working stiff, putting in the extra effort and hours for my family, I find it hard to think I would see someone taking our possessions and then, turn around and give him more of them. I don't lend, I don't borrow. Both to me are viewed as avoidable trouble. I would rather simply give. Because you can't out give God.  I feel not punishing someone for theft would encourage more theft. To see a homeless man on a cold day take my jacket out of the back of my pick up to stay warm would be a blessing, he was cold, without a covering. I have several more jackets. To see a youth steal my daughters bicycle, I would chase him down. Sorry, being honest.
Dying to self is one of the most difficult and  final steps in growing as a Christian. To me. It deals with your communing with God. He knows our heart. I sin a hundred times more with my mind, then in my actions.

Our Father, the vine tender, helps me greatly to this dying to self. As branches grafted into the true vine, I abide in the vine, the spiritual nutrients flow from the vine to me, and fruit is produced. (For others) This glorifies the Father. When I became a Christian, my branch (me) was  very long, like the wild mustang grape vines. Lotta vine, very little fruit. But our Father, the husbandman, the vine dresser, takes care of that. He prunes me. He cuts off all the unnecessary branch, (me). All that growth that produced no fruit, maybe a job, a friend, a possession keeping me from church, a home, Rights, Desires, and Preferences. So eventually, there is very little branch (Me) and much fruit. This pleases, glorifies, the Father.

The key is, Abide. In Christ. Without Christ, I can do nothing. A branch laying on the ground cannot produce fruit. Also, when we do lose that "perfect" job, friend, home, desire, right, etc, doesn't always mean I'm being chastised, could very well be the Father at work. Pruning His Garden.
I have to rid myself of the thinking "How can (I)  do this better. If not, then I get the tap on the shoulder, reminding me (I) can do nothing. I must reckon my
self dead. I live, but not (I). CHRIST lives in me. I'm a NEW CREATURE!

Abide

@Gary Lee Hiya :) You mentioned that dying to self is one of the most difficult and final steps in growing as Christians. I think the whole "yielding your rights" comes into play here right?

See my post about the 10 Commandments to Simple Jeff about implied human rights.

I suppose my question the more I think about it is more along the lines of rights of people {and Christians}. For example how do you view these passages:

Proverbs 31:8-9
Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Isaiah 1:17
Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause.

Psalm 82:3     
Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.

Micah 6:8     
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

God bless,
GE