IGNORED

Struggling with a lack of faith?

Why we struggle with a lack of faith... 

The apostle Paul exhorts Christians to “walk by faith and not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7). What we see here is a contrast between truth and perception—what we know and believe to be true and what we perceive to be true. This is where the Christian struggle with a lack of faith finds its basis. The main reason why so many Christians struggle with a lack of faith is that we follow our perceptions of what is true rather than what we know to be true by faith through God's Word. 

A real Christian has his/her faith based in God and in His Son, Jesus Christ. God has provided us with His Word, the Holy Bible, as a testimony of His faithfulness to His people all throughout history. In its bare essentials, Christianity is faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Living God.

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 2:5).

His life was one of perfect righteousness according to the revealed Law of God, His death was an atoning sacrifice for the sins of His people, and He was raised to life three days after His death. When we repent from our sins and place our faith and trust in Christ alone for our salvation, Jesus takes our sin because He does the will of His Father and His God, and awards us, by grace, with the perfect righteousness of Christ. That, in a nutshell, is the Christian message. As Christians, we are called to believe this message and live in light of it.

Despite this, Christians still struggle with believing the biblical account because it doesn’t match up with our perception of reality. We may believe that Jesus was a real person, we may believe that He died by crucifixion at the hand of the Romans, we may even believe that He led a perfect life according to God’s Law, but we don’t “see” how faith in Christ makes us righteous before God. We can’t “see” Jesus atoning for our sins. We can’t “see” or “perceive” any of the great truths of Christianity, and, therefore, we struggle with lack of faith. As a result of this lack of perception, our lives often do not reflect the fact that we really believe what we claim to believe.

There are many reasons for this phenomenon among Christians. The main reason we struggle with faith is that we don’t truly know the God in whom we profess to have faith. In our daily lives, we don’t trust complete strangers. The more intimately we know someone and the more time we have had to see him “in action,” the more likely we are to believe what he says. But, if God is essentially a stranger to us, we are less likely to believe what He has said in His Word.

!!!  The only cure for this is to spend more time in God’s Word getting to know Him. !!! 

This is how we get a relationship with God. Thank Jesus that He made a way for us to God.

Jesus saith unto him: I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me (John 14:6)

The world, the flesh, and the devil often distract us. By “the world” is meant the accepted “wisdom” of the unbelieving world and the culture in which we find ourselves. For those of us living in Europe and North America, that dominant worldview is naturalism, materialism, skepticism, and atheism. “The flesh,” refers to our sinful nature that still clings to Christians and with which we struggle on a daily basis. “The devil” refers to Satan and his horde of evil spirits who excite and entice us through the world and our senses. These things all afflict us and cause us to struggle with faith.

That is why Christians need to be constantly reminded of what Christ has done for us and what our response should be. The apostle Paul says, “Faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17). Our faith is built up as we have the gospel continually preached to us. Our churches need to be built on the solid preaching of the Word and the regular observance of the ordinances. Instead, too many churches spend their time, energy, and resources on focussing on the soul, rather than the spirit.

Consider the example of the Israelites in the Old Testament. God had performed great miracles in rescuing His chosen people from slavery in Egypt—the Ten Plagues, the pillar of smoke and fire, and the crossing of the Red Sea. God brings His people to the foot of Mount Sinai, gives them the Law and makes a covenant with them. No sooner does He do this than the people begin to grumble and lose faith. With Moses gone up on the mountain, the people convince Aaron, Moses’ brother, to construct an idol (against God’s clear prohibition) for them to worship (Exodus 32:1–6). They were no longer walking by faith, but by sight. Despite all the clear miracles God did in their redemption, they lost faith and began to go on their perception.

That is why God instructed the new generation of Israelites before going into the Promised Land to continually remind themselves of what God had done for them: “And these words that I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise” (Deuteronomy 6:6–7). God knows that the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak (Mark 14:38), and so He commands His people to be in constant remembrance of these things. 

In conclusion, we need to heed the example of the disciple Thomas. When Thomas heard the stories of the resurrection, he wouldn’t believe them until he saw Jesus with his own two eyes. Jesus accommodated Thomas’ lack of faith by making an appearance to him and allowing him to see and touch Him. Thomas responds in worship, and Jesus says to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” Many skeptics today echo Thomas’ sentiment: “Unless I see Jesus face to face, I will not believe!” We must not behave as the unbelievers do. We need to continually keep in mind Paul’s exhortation to walk by faith rather than sight. We learn in the book of Hebrews that without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6) because faith is believing the Word of God and acting upon it, not responding to our perceptions.

Used: Got questions.org

Edited by Truth27

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Hello Truth,

Thank you for those words which are definitely truth!  I also believe there is a lack of faith nowadays because the pastors aren't really teaching from the Bible.  Another reason, is the lack of faith in the Power of the Holy Spirit.  Most churches nowadays are not Spirit filled.  They walk in their own strength and wisdom.  We must build our relationship with the Lord as if He is really our everything.  I love the story of Enoch, how he walked with the Lord for 300 years!  What a friendship he had with our Creator God!  What deep and intimate knowledge of God he must have had!  I envy that.  I want that.  I am trying to pursue that, I don't always succeed, I get distracted, but my heart is to pursue knowing the Lord.  Thanks again for your words!  God Bless!

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

What is faith? For everyone it's your own. One begins to believe after a miracle happened in his life, the other believes simply because it's sincere. How to strengthen faith? In my opinion, it is a duty not only for the pastors, but also for the duty of things. People use anointing oil to create a higher spiritual atmosphere, smells, sounds. The atmosphere is also important for the emergence of faith, is not it?

Edited by Jerusalemgift

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Jerusalemgift said:

What is faith? For everyone it's your own. One begins to believe after a miracle happened in his life, the other believes simply because it's sincere. How to strengthen faith? In my opinion, it is a duty not only for the pastors, but also for the duty of things. People use anointing oil to create a higher spiritual atmosphere, smells, sounds. The atmosphere is also important for the emergence of faith, is not it?

Hello Jerusalemgift! Welcome to Worthy.

Cheers!!! :)

Hebrews 11:1-3 English Standard Version (ESV)

By Faith

11 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

God makes a promise.We believe it .We act on it . That is faith.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/07/1946

In James 14-17 I find this: "14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." One can not be a witness of himself. A person may think that he or she is reborn again and some are sure they are saved with a guarantee. If you want to come closer to the truth try to find out what others think about you as a person and about your good works. I know many important public persons who call themselves Christians but they severely lack good works. It is their own business I am not a judge but if they really wanted to find out if they are on right track they would try and learn about themselves from others, from other Christians. That is a problem of faith. I have read lots of posts in which people asserted it was all fixed between  them and Jesus Christ and they are happy and relaxed.  They say God does not go back on His Word and as they think they are reborn again it is all irreversible. I think being self-assured is the worst thing in faith and this alone is the lack of it. I think we Christians should be more self-critical and advise others to to be that way. Please do not throw books at me. I mean sometimes they try to send the whole Gospel in the form of citations.  I would appreciate your ideas as it concerns your own state rather than  General Truth.

Edited by vlad
  • This is Worthy 1

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

The truth is found in the opinions of others?

They may not be born again or are baby Christians. Even their giving thanks to God is a good work.

Pleeze. Doesn't this forum itself teach you that out of 10 people you will get 12 opinions?

Who is talking about being 'self assured'? it is God's  Word coupled with His Spirit that assures us that we are His children.

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
(Rom 8:15-16)

Perhaps Vlad, you are the one lacking assurance?

Self critical? By what standard? God's Word or people's opinion?

1.I did not say the truth was found in the opinion of others. I said that you come closer to the truth about yourself that way. How else can anyone find anything about himself? 2.Anyway thank you for the fact you give your ideas  without throwing books at me. What I feared the whole Gospel would be sent to me in the form of citations as is often the practice. 3. You hit the bull's eye. I am lacking assurance about my good works. The whole truth will be disclosed only in the other world. 4. What you said in the post is General Truth. The point is that you have to constantly ask yourself if it really covers you personally. 5.What is baby Christians if there is no sign of growing up and they die baby Christians?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

. That is a problem of faith. I have read lots of posts in which people asserted it was all fixed between  them and Jesus Christ and they are happy and relaxed.  They say God does not go back on His Word and as they think they are reborn again it is all irreversible. I think being self-assured is the worst thing in faith and this alone is the lack of it.

I am one of those who believes that God does not go back on his word.That is why I am “ happy and relaxed”. It’s called “ faith”. I rest or Sabbath on the finished work of the Cross.One can trust in the finished work of the Cross or be an enemy of the Cross.Sorry for all this trust I am exhibiting—I thought that was the whole point of Christianity, we trust and He saves.
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Yowm said:

1. Coming closer to the truth still comes through God's Word rather than the opinions of others.

2. Nothing wrong with Gospel citations :)

3. It may be too late then. Our assurance should be in His Good Works. Ours are always defective.

4. Hint Jesus died for the sins of all (general terms). 'ALL' includes me (personal terms).

5. True, babies grow up. But in your example of 'no works', a 'baby Christian' may fit the bill.

1.That is General Truth. I am talking about every day's life. If you want to know something about yourself personally the only way out is to find out what people think about you. You will see if you are a good person or a bad person for example. You may find examples of the importance of witnesses in the Gospel. What do you think they are for? According to your theory there is no need for them as God knows everything. Never look down on people even if you are very clever and clean. Only if you are a monk and live in a secluded place and pray all day and you are fasting then it is different. Then probably you personally reached the degree when you do not have to listen to others. I do not know may be you are one of such exceptional people like saint. 2. I am for the citations but I have seen posts with pages of citations. 3. Defective or not go on with good works. Otherwise bad works will crop up. If you are not with good works you are against them. 4. Yes he did . All the more reason not to be idle concerning faith and good works. You have try hard to be up to the mark in every respect now. 5. People who constantly without repentance do evil things instead of good things are not Christians at all even if they pray in public and thank God (I remember you said that when they thanked God it was their good work).

Edited by vlad

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It is wise to measure ourselves not by what others think, but by what God thinks.  

Gal 6:4  AMP  But let every person carefully scrutinize and examine and test his own conduct and his own work. He can then have the personal satisfaction and joy of doing something commendable [in itself alone] without [resorting to] boastful comparison with his neighbor.

If we worry about what others think we will be using the world's standards, not God's.  So we are to compare ourselves with Jesus and be thankful for God's grace.