angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I dont know if that would work here. I know kids do have active shooter drills and that some schools have armed guards. Other inner city type schools have metal detectors they have to pass through to get into school. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I dont know if that would work here. I know kids do have active shooter drills and that some schools have armed guards. Other inner city type schools have metal detectors they have to pass through to get into school. 

I think openly armed police officers at every school would make a difference. The active shooter drills, I don't know. Possibly helpful, but drills like that tend to go out the window in an actual scenario unless they are actively practiced on a more than occasional basis.

Putting one cop per 500 to 1000 students at every school at all times would probably dissuade most of the actual mass school shootings i believe (probably not all of the ones that are personal issues between individual students over drugs or a a perceived slight, etc.). These guys are generally actively seeking soft targets. Armed and trained officers make it anything but that. That's not to say it couldn't still happen, just that these mass shootings don't tend to happen at schools where cops are on duty. Very large high schools may present problems to defend. If the cop is known to be a quarter of a mile away for instance, but in elementary schools and middle schools and smaller to moderate sized high schools it would probably have a deterrent effect. I think that the key here would be to do it consistently across the board at every school. If cops are at every school in the county district and the city district half a mile away doesn't have them, it would simply be a case changing plans on the part of the shooters.

I would also like to see the cops be actual cops from police departments that rotate through the schools for a day, week, month at a time. The reason I say this is that the intuition that comes with the experience of being an active street cop could not really be replaced by someone who was specifically trained just to work at a school as basically a guard.

Ultimately, these guys are basically cowards. That is why they choose to go up into a place to shoot unarmed children and adolescents. I think it's also notable that they generally refuse to actually engage the cops. They, almost uniformly, commit suicide or attempt to flee once they think the police are close. I think they would probably, in most cases, tend to want to avoid any, even marginal, chance of being challenged by a police officer.