creativemechanic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

It's interesting how 2Co 6:14  has been used by Christian churches in the past to support racism.    Laws against interracial marriage were first introduced in North America from the late seventeenth century onwards by several of the thirteen colonies, and subsequently by many US states and US territories and remained in force in many US states until 1967.  

Interracial unions were common in the early days of American settlement when European men intermarried with Native American women and with freed people of African descent. But as America developed a slavery-based economy, many pastors began to preach that slavery was ordained and blessed by God.  White supremacy and “racial purity” were justified by stereotyping interracial unions as sexually perverted and sinful—especially for “good” white Christians.   Many Christian slave owners justified adultery and exploitation of black and multiracial women by referencing Abraham and Hagar. Race-based slavery corrupted white churches, dividing them into pro-slavery groups (e.g., Southern Baptists) and anti-slavery groups (e.g., Quakers). In the 1850s a pastor from New York named Josiah Priest taught congregations that the very thought of interracial sex was disgusting and sinful. He hypothesized that if the abhorrent idea crossed the mind of a white person, it was followed with an ice-cold chill of the soul, that chill being the voice of God.

Despite interracial marriage becoming legal decades ago, there are still contemporary cases in which American churches continue to believe Christian tradition forbids interracial unions. In 2011 a Kentucky church banned an engaged white-Zimbabwean couple from attending their services despite the fact that the white woman had been a long-term member. Bob Jones University, a Christian college with notable alumni such as evangelist Billy Graham and Tim LaHaye of the Left Behind series, had a school policy banning interracial dating up until 2000. In 2013, a pastor in Carter County, Tennessee preached that he believes that “coloreds” and whites should not mix. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I think the pastor is right, but I also agree with Jayne. Nevertheless, that pastor might save only 2 people per 100 from a terrible marriage but I agree with him. Nowadays not only should both people be believers but they should also have similar interpretations of what being a Christian means. I'm alarmed at how quick and easy some folks get divorced. I've even heard of marriages where on the wedding day 1 person was thinking, Oh well, if it doesn't work out I can get divorced. All this is a sad commentary on our society. Us older folks really need to impress on the younger people that God always meant for marriage to be permanent. He also has wanted 2 people to have only 1 marriage. Sometimes that may mean that some of us will never get married.

One more thing about the pastor we are discussing. I agree he shouldn't marry unequal couples, but neither should he tell them to go away. I know it would be a lot of work but he should offer to counsel them hoping the non believer will become a believer. I like to believe that most people will accept God if He is presented correctly to them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

18 hours ago, bryan said:

Interesting comment.  That comes across as being quite racist to me.   By those rules, my wife and I shouldn't have gotten married.

Some people can mix marriage without problems that is a fact. I think mixed marriages would have more problems.  I was married to a catholic and my baptist ways did not mix well with her catholic ways that too is a fact.

17 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Hi Coheir,

re: not much in common(black/white people)

* both human beings 

* both created in the image of God

* both loved by God

......what's not in common?

The great man of the OT, Moses, had a black wife .

(I don't know what it's like in the US but there are many interracial couples/families in Australia)

At birth all are equal. As people grow to adult they take their beliefs from that environment they are raised in. If one person grows up and learns to have sex with sisters and cousins is ok then that person would not be a good yoke to a person who grew up thinking one should not have sex with family; no matter color of skin.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, coheir said:

At birth all are equal. As people grow to adult they take their beliefs from that environment they are raised in. If one person grows up and learns to have sex with sisters and cousins is ok then that person would not be a good yoke to a person who grew up thinking one should not have sex with family; no matter color of skin.

Hi Coheir,

I agree with you about being "incompatible" with a person due to cultural reasons, and type of upbringing. However, you cannot be incompatible with a person due to "skin colour", as like I have stated before, we are all human beings, of the same species.

We know that Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians, that unbelievers and believers who were married were to remain married if the unbeliever was willing to - otherwise the unbelieving spouse was free to leave.

The unbelieving spouse by remaining married to the believing spouse was sanctified through that persons belief and faith in God.

1 Corinthians 7 :12-16

* When the Bible tells of not marrying a particular people group, it's because of their cultural practices which go against God - not skin colour. 

43 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Hi Coheir,

I agree with you about being "incompatible" with a person due to cultural reasons, and type of upbringing. However, you cannot be incompatible with a person due to "skin colour", as like I have stated before, we are all human beings, of the same species.

We know that Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians, that unbelievers and believers who were married were to remain married if the unbeliever was willing to - otherwise the unbelieving spouse was free to leave.

The unbelieving spouse by remaining married to the believing spouse was sanctified through that persons belief and faith in God.

* When the Bible tells of not marrying a particular people group, it's because of their cultural practices which go against God - not skin colour. 

I agree with you, culture is what I should of said, not black and white. It may have sounded like I was against skin color Im not.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, creativemechanic said:

Was talking to a coworker  and the topic of unequally yoked cameup. she explained that if when her pastor is  doing marital counselling he realises the couple is unequally  yoked (presumably 1 saved the other unsaved) , he refuses to marry them.

that's a principle I never really thought of. what do u think of it

WELL AMEN ON THAT NOTE .    

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, coheir said:

its like a baptist and a catholic; a balck person and a white; many times, to late, they find they don't have much in common imo

IF our common unity IS JESUS ONLY then no matter what THAT IS the marriage .    so many try and find wordly connections what a fatal flaw that is.

The blackest of black can marry the liliest of white. AND IF BOTH are whole hearted JESUS FOLLWOING CHRISTAINS

THAT is the marriage .    Our family  is simply THOSE OF THE SPIRIT .    most the reasons I hear some christains say for marriage are all backwards

and most resaons I hear for not marrying another by many Christians is all backwards.   its all focused on money, or what they have in common with the world

INSTEAD of JUST THE ONE THING COMMON needed.  FAITH IN CHRIST a whole hearted desire to follow HIM.  THAT should be what one looks for in any potential spouse.   Peroid.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

3 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Hi Coheir,

So then, my dear Hisfirst, are you saying that scripture means an unsaved person who is married to a saved one will be saved due to the mate's faith? I'm not contesting it, I just want to be sure I'm understanding you correctly. I also thought this is what it means but in 35 to 40 yrs I have never heard a preacher talk on it. It's very good news for the spouse who just can't seem to believe God is real, but it may be bad for the saved spouse who was looking to split. Now the saved spouse has to consider, if I leave him, not because he's bad but I guess I married the person too fast. We didn't even know where the other mate grew up. Maybe I'm better off that God didn't put a wife in my life. I hate hurting anyone, even if they deserve it. But I know a few mates who may think this makes staying together not horrible. I hope so.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, JTC said:

So then, my dear Hisfirst, are you saying that scripture means an unsaved person who is married to a saved one will be saved due to the mate's faith? I'm not contesting it, I just want to be sure I'm understanding you correctly. I also thought this is what it means but in 35 to 40 yrs I have never heard a preacher talk on it. It's very good news for the spouse who just can't seem to believe God is real, but it may be bad for the saved spouse who was looking to split. Now the saved spouse has to consider, if I leave him, not because he's bad but I guess I married the person too fast. We didn't even know where the other mate grew up. Maybe I'm better off that God didn't put a wife in my life. I hate hurting anyone, even if they deserve it. But I know a few mates who may think this makes staying together not horrible. I hope so.

Hi JTC,

I'll just put this link up - I think it answers your question quite well :)

www.christiancourier.com/articles/943-does-the-marriage-of-an-unbeliever-to-a-believer-sanctify-the-unbeliever