Music

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I think it depends on what you do with it.....   and how it drives your inner self.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

6 hours ago, This1WillHave2Do said:

Is it ok for a Christian to listen to secular music? I listen to mostly hard rock?

I have loved music for my whole life, still do.  I listen to a wide variety.  Personally I avoid certain groups because of what they are singing about, AC/DC is an example that comes to mind as their lyrics glorify the enemy.  Ultimately it is a matter of personal conviction, but always be mindful of what you are feeding your brain.

God bless

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

What does it do to your heart and mind? Does it drive you away from God or the truth in any way? Does it berth negative thoughts in your heart?

• Thumbs Up 1

I generally listen to music for nostalgic reasons and it sometimes makes me think of what it would be like to be in a romantic relationship with a woman and other times, It makes me feel adventurous and kind of picks me up, depending on the song. There are sometimes when it makes me feel down and I have to force myself to really listen. I wouldn't say that it drive me to or away from God, but I tend to think of adventurous things about nature and the universe and that can make me ponder on the creation.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, This1WillHave2Do said:

I generally listen to music for nostalgic reasons and it sometimes makes me think of what it would be like to be in a romantic relationship with a woman and other times, It makes me feel adventurous and kind of picks me up, depending on the song. There are sometimes when it makes me feel down and I have to force myself to really listen. I wouldn't say that it drive me to or away from God, but I tend to think of adventurous things about nature and the universe and that can make me ponder on the creation.

I used to use music in a similar way. I let music control my thoughts, my motivation, my thoughts. For me it was an addiction that almost brought me to suicide. When I came to God fully by late 2001/ 2002, I became willing to be molded by Go and His Word .  Letting go of secular music was one of the things  I needed to let go of in order to follow Christ  .   I took all my secular music and cassettes and threw them all in the garbage. When i finally did that, it felt as if a load of weight ha been lifted off of me. The same with all the esotherical books I had accumulated over the years of searching my searching for my faith in God in all the wrong ways. Those esotherical books, I took to the country and burnt them all. Again the moment I burnt those books, I felt a tremendous weight leave me.  God slowly has worked in my heart and one by one I learnt to let go and give to God my concerns. He had step by step worked in me and helped me overcome so many bad habits that i had accumulated through trauma/sin in my life.  And He continues refining us as long as we keep looking to God to help us overcome this world and become more and more the child of God He always intended for us to be.

Today I like more calm than noise, and secular music has no importance to me any longer. I prefer quiet nature sound to secular music. and enjoy mush more soft , classical music to anything loud and noisy.

I know that God transforms us slowly into His new Creation as we show our willingness to place our trust in Him over trusting in the secular things of this world.

God promises us a peace this world can never offer.

Seek Him in all your concerns and He will point in the right direction.

Edited by 1to3