• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1998

I want to know what's the best way to study the bible to get a theology degree because I have no idea where to start. If anyone have like good videos they know of ot any other helpful information.. I know the " the bible project" are great study help but if I don' have wifi or data what's the other best wayto study? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Until you can find a college to study in, may I suggest beginning here: https://bible.org/article/theology-program

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,145
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

There is no greater to pursuit than to know God through His Word... 

Jer 29:13
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
KJV

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/21/2018 at 6:16 AM, Whisperpoetry said:

I want to know what's the best way to study the bible to get a theology degree because I have no idea where to start. If anyone have like good videos they know of ot any other helpful information.. I know the " the bible project" are great study help but if I don' have wifi or data what's the other best wayto study? 

I think a good starting point is to pick up a good Study Bible.  There are many study Bibles of varying quality!   Some have good informative and balanced information written by a committee of scholars who checked each others' work.  These have a nicer balance of viewpoints of how things are presented.  Some study Bibles are written by a few individuals and contain somewhat biased views on things.  The NIV Study Bible published by Zondervan is a nice one.   My wife had one that she used for years.  I read through it a few times myself and found the notes and information to be well-balanced and well-written.

Then just read the Bible through a few times referring to the notes, maps, and other information in the study Bible as you go.  I think that is a good starting point.

Here are the general categories of things that I think are important if you are serious about getting a degree or about studying the Bible beyond what most people do.

• Having much familiarity with the Bible.
    • Extensive reading:  This is reading the Bible in its entirety on a consistent basis.  Perhaps reading the Bible through one or twice per year.  The goal is to see the entire Bible as a whole.
    • Intensive reading:  This is looking in detail at a particular book or set of chapters, perhaps by reading it through a number of times over the period of a few weeks or a month.
    • Possibly becoming familiar with the original languages.  It is possible to learn Greek and Hebrew and just learning to read the Bible in those languages.
    • Reading the Bible in multiple versions (and multiple languages if you know more than one).
  • Having much familiar with the background of the Bible.
    • Using reference books such as Bible dictionaries, study Bibles, atlases, history books, to become familiar with the setting of the Bible.
    • Various aspects of this are geography, climate, economics, agriculture, political history, culture, etc.
    • The main point is to understand the context in which various books of the Bible were written.
  • Having a strong spiritual sense of the Bible and its context in your life.
    • Ultimately, this is about learning to know God more and learn to walk with Him more closely.
    • Regular devotional reading:  this is simply reading part of the Bible each day and asking, "okay God, what do You want to show me today?"  Often what we learn here is a more individualized and personal message appropriate for us for a particular time and place.  It's often a sense of what God wants to tell us personally for this day, not an in-depth study of truth for all time, but the message of encouragement or direction for us personally at this time.

Studying the Bible is a lifelong endeavor, I've been at it for over 40 years now.  The above outline reflects how I've been going at it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

"Getting a Theology Degree" has little to do with understanding the Bible.  It is centered upon fulfilling the requirements of the individual "accredited" college you might choose.  You have to satisfy what THEY say is necessary to be granted a degree from their institution.

3 hours ago, Sojourner414 said:

I use an Inductive Study Bible to study Scripture, as well as BibleHub online, which has several good commentaries. But as far as theology goes, I would say let Scripture form your basis and reasoning, which is the essence of exegesis (latin for "from out of").

I fully agree that "The Inductive Method of Bible Study" is, by far, the best.  In fact, it is the only way to really study anything.

Edited by Willie T

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, Whisperpoetry said:

I don't really understand about what "connection" you have to the internet. But, can you open any of these?

https://biologos.org/resources/videos/

http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/basic_apologetics_course

Reading all of THESE will enlighten anyone: http://apostles-creed.org/documents-creeds-catechisms-confessions/

Edited by Willie T