OCD

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I came again with a question regarding my problem.

I've got Scrupulosity, probably the worst form of OCD I have ever had. I will consider you have read my other posts (involving my fears of being the Antichrist, etc.). Now I met another problem. I know this sounds weird but the thing is, when I'm searching a solution for something, I begin sometimes having thoughts that I am somehow "activating" some supernatural powers (that are not from God) and easily find the solution to that thing. Of course, I don't have any supernatural power but I'm scared. Can this be just something psychologically? Just a terrible source of "motivation"?

Another thing is that sometimes I think that God disagrees with the fact that I study science. And when I ask for forgiveness for whatever simple thing (swearing, etc.) I just become anxious and think that God stopped me from doing science to, because it might be "secular".

What can I do? How can I solve both of my problems?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

May I share what I believe is your true problem?  I discussed this with another person years ago who had scrupulosity and the drummer in my praise band had a nephew who truly suffered from it to the point he had to be hospitalized.

What you are suffering is real - to you.  And it is an attack from the devil.  No, you are not possessed by the devil, but he is on the attack with you.

What I learned when I started digging in to this because I was interested and knew that this type of thing occurs more and more often is this.  The devil doesn't give a crap what you are anxious about.  All he is concerned with is that your mind is tormented.  The next person with scrupulosity that you meet might fear red cars or worry that he is not praying on his literal knees or some other such non-binding thing.

• Science?  No, that's not the problem.  I was a science teacher for decades and loved every minute of it.  True science agrees with God and is a good thing.
  • Asking for forgiveness over and over and over and thinking God isn't listening?  Nope.  The Bible says that when we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all righteousness.
  • Worried that you are the Anti-Christ?  Nope. nope. nope.  You do not fit the description of him and it is not the right time.  Plus, if you are worried, you can't be him.

What can help you?  Two things.  

1. A qualified counselor/medical doctor.  He may prescribe some med or not.  Therapy - talking out loud and hearing your own self with another person - is a HUGE help for many people.
  2. Discerning what is sin and what is not.  
    • You KNOW  that genuine and pure science is not sinful.  So, the next time that thought comes back that you are making God mad by studying the facts of real science - say to yourself, "There's lot of science in the Bible.  God doesn't hate genuine science.  I'm not sinning by studying."
    • You know that swearing IS a sin - so the next time you feel compelled to, stop and think, "I'm done with that."  And thank God that you didn't say anything.

Our minds are battlefields.  All of us.

The devil doesn't care what knocks us down.  All he care about is that we STAY down.

Think on that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

4 hours ago, mat007 said:

What can I do? How can I solve both of my problems?

Only faith in the Lord Jesus can set you free from this. I had the same problems, and the enemy will sow doubts to you, and the only way to win against that is faith.

I suggest you repent, pray, feed on the Word. You have to know the Lord Jesus more and more, each day.

You can read more about it here: https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/217733-dealing-with-ocd-and-oppression/

I hope it helps! God bless you!

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2

46 minutes ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

I suggest you repent, pray, feed on the Word. You have to know the Lord Jesus more and more, each day.

Well, I actually am a Christian. I thank God for what I received from Him. The only thing that bothers me are the obsessions. So, repenting wouldn't be a problem. I asked for forgiveness, and I'm pretty sure God knows about my OCD.

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

May I share what I believe is your true problem?  I discussed this with another person years ago who had scrupulosity and the drummer in my praise band had a nephew who truly suffered from it to the point he had to be hospitalized.

What you are suffering is real - to you.  And it is an attack from the devil.  No, you are not possessed by the devil, but he is on the attack with you.

What I learned when I started digging in to this because I was interested and knew that this type of thing occurs more and more often is this.  The devil doesn't give a crap what you are anxious about.  All he is concerned with is that your mind is tormented.  The next person with scrupulosity that you meet might fear red cars or worry that he is not praying on his literal knees or some other such non-binding thing.

• Science?  No, that's not the problem.  I was a science teacher for decades and loved every minute of it.  True science agrees with God and is a good thing.
  • Asking for forgiveness over and over and over and thinking God isn't listening?  Nope.  The Bible says that when we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all righteousness.
  • Worried that you are the Anti-Christ?  Nope. nope. nope.  You do not fit the description of him and it is not the right time.  Plus, if you are worried, you can't be him.

What can help you?  Two things.  

1. A qualified counselor/medical doctor.  He may prescribe some med or not.  Therapy - talking out loud and hearing your own self with another person - is a HUGE help for many people.
  2. Discerning what is sin and what is not.  
    • You KNOW  that genuine and pure science is not sinful.  So, the next time that thought comes back that you are making God mad by studying the facts of real science - say to yourself, "There's lot of science in the Bible.  God doesn't hate genuine science.  I'm not sinning by studying."
    • You know that swearing IS a sin - so the next time you feel compelled to, stop and think, "I'm done with that."  And thank God that you didn't say anything.

Our minds are battlefields.  All of us.

The devil doesn't care what knocks us down.  All he care about is that we STAY down.

Think on that.

What about the thing with the "powers"?

Edited by mat007

23 minutes ago, mat007 said:

What about the thing with the "powers"?

As you yourself said, you have no supernatural powers.  

That's what makes supernatural powers "super".  They come from beyond the natural - beyond you and me.  We can no more "activate" supernatural powers than we could could fly with our arms to the top of a mountain.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Jayne said:

As you yourself said, you have no supernatural powers.  

That's what makes supernatural powers "super".  They come from beyond the natural - beyond you and me.  We can no more "activate" supernatural powers than we could could fly with our arms to the top of a mountain.

So, the thing with the "powers" (that aren't actually powers) is just something psychologically. But those great ideas... they come from my head, and not from... don't they?

Edited by mat007

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, mat007 said:

Well, I actually am a Christian. I thank God for what I received from Him. The only thing that bothers me are the obsessions.

OK, sorry. I had problems with OCD and oppression as well.

This may help you: https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/217733-dealing-with-ocd-and-oppression/

God bless you!

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2

Yes, good ideas can just come from our own heads.  Problem-solving, it's a human thing.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hi brother,

For me.... everything that is good in you comes from God. I have some good insights also and all i think about is....

1. maybe God just wants me to know that. Giving me some freebie realities to what truths He might want all of us to find out when we are in Heaven

2. maybe God wants me to use that when the right opportunity or discussion or person comes along

3. maybe God is testing me on how i use it? Do i give myself praise by surprising people with the awesome logic i present or do i use it, in the humblest ways, to prove God's existence love mercy etc...

Trust in the Lord and all glory and power is His!

Much love!