Dancing and using instruments in church

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello! I'm new to this and seeking genuine advice and guidance. I'm struggling with whether dancing and using band instruments is something God would be pleased with in a church setting. To my knowledge, God only instructs us to use our hymns to sing to him in praise (Ephesians 5:19). Some churches say dancing is sinful because it's us using our bodies rather than our spirit. Others say dancing is okay and it actually fills them with the spirt. What are your thoughts on this? Any scriptures I can look to? Does your church allow dancing why or why not? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

31 minutes ago, God is within her said:

Some churches say dancing is sinful because it's us using our bodies rather than our spirit.

I would not say it is sinful, but depending on the settings it can be acceptable or not.

"To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure;
    but even their mind and conscience are defiled." - Titus 1:15

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Welcome to Worthy, God is with her.  I have danced folk dances in 2 different churches.  Once it was American square dancing done in a recreation hall, and once it was Jewish folk dances in a sanctuary..  Dancing that in not sensual in nature should be OK.  Dancing before the Lord should be OK.  David danced before the Lord.  I don't think that it should be a form of entertainment for onlookers if it is part of a worship service.  

2Sa 6:14   And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Psa 150:3  Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise Him with the lute and harp!

Psa 150:4  Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!

Psa 150:5  Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

As mentioned, music styles are personal.  The new rock and roll concert style reminds me of my drug days, so I personally do not enjoy this type of music.  I prefer an more mellow approach to worship.

As for dancing, again, if it is in the spirit, I see nothing wrong with it, but I have seen some dancing that belonged in the night clubs.  I don't see how that is worshiping the Lord, but only the flesh.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

dancing and music will not please everyone...either too loud, too worldly, too dull, and so on. someone will be offended whatever you do. The priority must be to honor the Lord. The pastor is responsible for the flock under his care

Ezekiel 34:2

“Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to you shepherds of Israel who only take care of yourselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock?

Pray "God is within her" for your pastor, and to God for Proverbs 3:5-6 to come alive for you

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,858
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986