• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,563
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, this is offered as a news report without comment. Please consider the source and the news item itself.

Thanks.

Scot Peterson, the 54-year-old Marjory Stoneman Douglas school resource officer who resigned after security footage revealed he made no effort to engage alleged mass killer Nikolas Cruz during the rampage last week, previously lobbied Broward County school officials to continue funding a program that allowed cops to live in mobile homes on school property rent-free.

Not only did Peterson fail to confront Cruz—he also failed to assist a previous investigation, undertaken by state authorities, to determine whether Cruz was a threat to himself or others. His mistakes compound the errors made by other law enforcement entities, including the FBI and Broward County PD.

The housing program was in effect at 32 different Broward County schools. Officials reasoned that cops living at the schools would mean 24-hour security. But a 2015 audit determined that the program was a waste of money.

The auditor said, "Frankly, I'm embarrassed," and "I would shut it down immediately," according to the Sun Sentinel.Officials could find no evidence that the live-in cops were deterring crime.

Officer Peterson took a different view.

About a dozen officers from the program attended the meeting. They called the report skewed and lauded the advantage of keeping law enforcement on school grounds.

"These colleagues work hard. We are crime prevention, an audit report will never show how much we prevent," said Scot Peterson, an officer who has lived at Atlantic Technical College in Coconut Creek since 2000. He said he's arrested several juveniles for breaking into school property.

Yet according to the audit, one of the officers had even made the decision to sublet his on-campus mobile home to two people who weren't police officers. Most of the officers did not turn in monthly reports detailing their activities, and failed to respond to 73 percent of security alarm triggers. But ending the program would be unfair, said Peterson. "You are talking about the livelihood of some of these people," he said at the time.

The housing program for school resource officers wasn't really about safety. It was welfare for state employees. Seen through this lens, Peterson's utter failure to confront the shooter isn't particularly surprising.

The New York Times has more information on Peterson:

In February 2016, the sheriff's office received what it described as "thirdhand information" that Mr. Cruz "planned to shoot up the school" and had posted a picture on Instagram of a "juvenile with guns." A deputy determined that Mr. Cruz had knives and a BB gun and forwarded the information to the school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas High. That was Deputy Peterson.

The Times also notes that the Florida Department of Children and Families—the state's child protective services agency—investigated Cruz in 2016 but determined that he was not at risk of harming himself or others.

According to the agency, its Adult Protective Investigator (API) attempted to talk to Stoneman Douglas's SRO (Peterson, presumably) about Cruz, but:

The school resource officer was contacted and refused to provide specific information to the investigator. Florida law does not give APS the authority to compel law enforcement to provide additional information during an investigation.

We can add this oversight to the lengthy and ever-growing list of catastrophic law enforcement failures at play in the Parkland shooting. Don't let anyone say putting even more cops in schools is a reasonable response.

Photo Credit: Ian Witlen / Rmv/ZUMA Press/Newscom

Associate Editor Robby Soave, a 2017–2018 Novak Fellow at the Fund for American Studies, is the author of a forthcoming book about campus activism in the age of Trump.

Follow Robby Soave on 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

You could have 1000 cops in school like Peterson and it would not change a thing, but just 1 good cop very well could.  The media is trying to condemn all cops due to the inaction of Peterson ... very sad.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

30 minutes ago, OneLight said:

You could have 1000 cops in school like Peterson and it would not change a thing, but just 1 good cop very well could.  The media is trying to condemn all cops due to the inaction of Peterson ... very sad.

I might be remembering some thing wrong .   but who was that officer that a while back had killed one of his wives

then later another .   wasn't his name Peterson ,  scott Peterson .    or is that the wrong name of the other person .

I almost swear by memeory the name was scott Peterson.      if so that is one odd coinincidence .   but  I guess scott is a common name as is Peterson.

I just thought it odd was all.   no conspiracy theories here .    just odd.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

9 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

I might be remembering some thing wrong .   but who was that officer that a while back had killed one of his wives

then later another .   wasn't his name Peterson ,  scott Peterson .    or is that the wrong name of the other person .

I almost swear by memeory the name was scott Peterson.      if so that is one odd coinincidence .   but  I guess scott is a common name as is Peterson.

That was also Scott Peterson, but he was not a cop.  He was a fertilizer salesman from Modesto, California.  He murdered his pregnant wife Laci in 2003 or 2004.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

No, the other Scott Peterson was not a cop.   He murdered his wife and tried to hide her body in a lake on Christmas eve and it showed up on the shore on Easter morning or at least on Easter weekend.  

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

That was also Scott Peterson, but he was not a cop.  He was a fertilizer salesman from Modesto, California.  He murdered his pregnant wife Laci in 2003 or 2004.

Thanks .  i only remembered the name cause i had heard that name before .    be blessed one light .

Who was the cop that did that .   His last wife came up missing and then stories about the second wife began circulating and it was found it had been covered up.

What was that cops name .  

50 minutes ago, OneLight said:

That is because their is a lefist agenda that has been at work for quite some time .   A FEDERAL POLICE FORCE is the dream  .     that as you guessed is loyal to THE GOVT

agenda.    I know that may seem as conspiracy.   BUT IT AINT.    its kind of easy to see if we dig just a little. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Do we judge and make conclusions before we have all the facts and sequence of events? I've certainly been guilty of that.

I'm going to play the evil advocate and I'm not defending this guy, and I don't know all the details. However, as law enforcement, most departments I've heard about have a policy of waiting for backup at shootings and not acting alone. In addition he was severely outgunned and out supplied. You don't take a handgun to an AR fight by yourself according to all policies I've heard about.

With that said let's turn the tables around. There was no security officer around, you there waiting for your son to come out for a dental appointment. You have a handgun in your vehicle hidden but not on you because it's against the law to have a handgun on school property. You witness the beginnings of this soon to be massacre just as your son gets into the car. After you call the cops on your cell phone, what are you going to do? 

#1. Knowing it's against the law to even have your handgun with you.

#2. Knowing your responsible for where every round lands.

#3. Knowing maybe that you may face criminal charges, and certainly will face civil suits from parents, ACLU, liberals and probably the school district. 

#4. Knowing you will be hounded and persecuted by the media, not a hero. Make one mistake and the media zero's in on that and digs up every piece of dirt since you've been born.

#5. Knowing most likely it's going to bankrupt you defending yourself with lawyers, witness expects, etc. And you're going to lose your reputation, home, everything you own and your employment. 

What are you going to do? What should Peterson have done?

P.S. You don't see these cowards walking into an NRA convention or 'shot show' doing this. No, the deliberately pick defenseless soft targets like schools and churches. The first time a good guy with a gun shoots at them they will soil themselves and run like the cowards they are. RANT OFF

Edited by Dennis1209

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Most of the officers did not turn in monthly reports detailing their activities, and failed to respond to 73 percent of security alarm triggers. But ending the program would be unfair, said Peterson. "You are talking about the livelihood of some of these people," he said at the time.

Does this mean that they paid around $2000+ per month per cop per school,   to be protection for 1 week out of the month ?