"JUDGMENTAL"

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  426
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  3

If there's one thing Christians seem to fear being accused of more than anything else these days, it's being "judgmental".

"Judgmental" is a word that gets thrown around quite a bit by Christians and non-Christians alike---oftentimes as a way of evading a valid criticism.

(Don't want to answer the question or address the issue? Just accuse the other party of being judgmental: "Nobody's perfect." "Who are you to judge me?" "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone!" "Judge not, lest ye be judged!")

Besides misapplying the Lord's teaching about hypocrisy ("Judge not, that ye be not judged"), Christians who accuse others of being "judgmental" for exercising appropriate judgment, or who use the term as an ad hominem deflection tactic to avoid addressing a legitimate criticism, are being dishonest with themselves and with the Holy Spirit, as well as discouraging other Christians from judging in the way that the Scriptures teach that Christians should judge. Which results in a whole lot of Christians being accepting of things that they should not accept, and keeping silent when they should speak up, for fear of being "judgmental".

No, Christians should not be hypocrites, but if perfection is the prerequisite for a Christian to judge other people as the Bible does and also instructs us to do, then we can't judge anyone for anything.

We know that the apostle Paul was not a sinless man, but he judged quite a bit---including the apostle Peter when he erred---and he told others to do the same. 

There is a right way to judge and a wrong way to judge; but righteous judgment, including pointing out and addressing one another's sins and faults, in love, is a part of Christianity, and one of the ways in which the Body of Christ is kept clean and healthy.

Well the churches are full because Christians don't judge. They're also full of uncleanness because Christians don't judge.

I'm reminded of something that a pope said---not sure who, maybe Francis. I believe he was asked the question of whether homosexuals went to heaven or not. His response: "Who am I to judge?" 

(How many evangelical Christians would--and do--say the same, about homosexuality and many other things that the Bible condemns?)

"Who am I to judge?" sounds nice, but God has something to say about it; and while we ourselves do not have the authority to condemn people, we owe it to those in error to relate and uphold God's judgments about those things which He forbids and those things which He condemns, to hopefully spare those we confront from reaping the consequences.

If we seek to please people, rather than God, and to be liked by them, rather than to love them, we can't be effective Christians, because Christianity is about love, and genuine love involves the pain of being resented or hated for speaking the truth for the benefit of the other person, rather than being selfishly silent to avoid personal discomfort. And this goes for our dealings with our brothers and sisters in Christ as well as with unsaved people.

Instead of living in fear of being considered "judgmental", why not take up your cross and face the probable pain of confronting others' sins as the Bible teaches us to do, not seeking what is in your own best interest, but what is in the best interest of others---whether or not they receive it well. Do it in love, and do it with a good conscience toward God and man, and as the Lord leads, but do it---as one who will have to give an account to the Lord not only for what you did and said, but also for what you didn't do and didn't say when you should have.

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20 ESV)

Edited by LightShinesInTheDarkness
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

Psalm 119 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Psalm 119
Delight in God’s Word
א Alef

How[a] happy are those whose way is blameless,
who live according to the Lord’s instruction!
Happy are those who keep His decrees
and seek Him with all their heart.
They do nothing wrong;
they follow His ways.
You have commanded that Your precepts
be diligently kept.
If only my ways were committed
to keeping Your statutes!
Then I would not be ashamed
when I think about all Your commands.
I will praise You with a sincere heart
when I learn Your righteous judgments.
I will keep Your statutes;
never abandon me.
ב Bet

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping Your word.
I have sought You with all my heart;
don’t let me wander from Your commands.
I have treasured Your word in my heart
so that I may not sin against You.
Lord, may You be praised;
teach me Your statutes.
With my lips I proclaim
all the judgments from Your mouth.
I rejoice in the way revealed by Your decrees
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on Your precepts
and think about Your ways.
I will delight in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.
ג Gimel

Deal generously with Your servant
so that I might live;
then I will keep Your word.
Open my eyes so that I may contemplate
wonderful things from Your instruction.
I am a stranger on earth;
do not hide Your commands from me.
I am continually overcome
with longing for Your judgments.
You rebuke the proud,
the ones under a curse,
who wander from Your commands.
Take insult and contempt away from me,
for I have kept Your decrees.
Though princes sit together speaking against me,
Your servant will think about Your statutes;
Your decrees are my delight
and my counselors.
ד Dalet

My life is down in the dust;
give me life through Your word.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

We judge even while we pick our way through the Scriptures.... for we choose what is the way and what is not the way by that which we accept in the path we walk.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, LightShinesInTheDarkness said:

If there's one thing Christians seem to fear being accused of more than anything else these days, it's being "judgmental".

"Judgmental" is a word that gets thrown around quite a bit by Christians and non-Christians alike---oftentimes as a way of evading a valid criticism.

(Don't want to answer the question or address the issue? Just accuse the other party of being judgmental: "Nobody's perfect." "Who are you to judge me?" "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone!" "Judge not, lest ye be judged!")

Besides misapplying the Lord's teaching about hypocrisy ("Judge not, that ye be not judged"), Christians who accuse others of being "judgmental" for exercising appropriate judgment, or who use the term as an ad hominem deflection tactic to avoid addressing a legitimate criticism, are being dishonest with themselves and with the Holy Spirit, as well as discouraging other Christians from judging in the way that the Scriptures teach that Christians should judge. Which results in a whole lot of Christians being accepting of things that they should not accept, and keeping silent when they should speak up, for fear of being "judgmental".

No, Christians should not be hypocrites, but if perfection is the prerequisite for a Christian to judge other people as the Bible does and also instructs us to do, then we can't judge anyone for anything.

We know that the apostle Paul was not a sinless man, but he judged quite a bit---including the apostle Peter when he erred---and he told others to do the same. 

There is a right way to judge and a wrong way to judge; but righteous judgment, including pointing out and addressing one another's faults, in love, is a part of Christianity, and one of the ways in which the Body of Christ is kept clean and healthy.

Well the churches are full because Christians don't judge. They're also full of uncleanness because Christians don't judge.

I'm reminded of something that a pope said---not sure who, maybe Francis. I believe he was asked the question of whether homosexuals went to heaven or not. His response: "Who am I to judge?" 

(How many evangelical Christians would--and do--say the same, about homosexuality and many other things that the Bible condemns?)

"Who am I to judge?" sounds nice, but God has something to say about it; and while we ourselves do not have the authority to condemn people, we owe it to those in error to relate and uphold God's judgments about those things which He forbids and those things which He condemns, to hopefully spare those we confront from reaping the consequences.

If we seek to please people, rather than God, and to be liked by them, rather than to love them, we can't be effective Christians, because Christianity is about love, and genuine love involves the pain of being resented or hated for speaking the truth for the benefit of the other person, rather than being selfishly silent to avoid personal discomfort. And this goes for our dealings with our brothers and sisters in Christ as well as with unsaved people.

Instead of living in fear of being considered "judgmental", why not take up your cross and face the probable pain of confronting others' sins as the Bible teaches us to do, not seeking what is in your own best interest, but what is in the best interest of others---whether or not they receive it well. Do it in love, and do it with a good conscience toward God and man, and as the Lord leads, but do it---as one who will have to give an account to the Lord not only for what you did and said, but also for what you didn't do and didn't say when you should have.

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20 ESV)

Right on!

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

We owe it to one another to tell each other when we are wrong. However, one must also be willing to listen and able to rebut. A more prominent issue, at least as far as my eyes have seen, is that people are willing to dish out their own voices, not take in others. They stand upon an opinion or belief yet when they are asked why, they shrug it off because they do not know.

Let's say, for example, Benedict does not support gay marriage. He goes around to various LGBT+ forums and gatherings and starts trouble, his argument essentially boils down into calling them either gross or idiotic. If you were to ask Benedict why he doesn't support it, he doesn't have an answer, he just simply dislikes it. It's just "gross" or"stupid".

Benedict needs a few things. First, he must have an actual argument. One must remember that they are trying to convince others to their way of thinking, not strutting about and peacocking one's own ego. Bible verses work fine, but you may wish to back that up with statistics and studies; unbelievers don't care for the gospel, after all. Cut out any and all insults; it can be a sign of either insecurity, or over the web, insincerity like that of a troll. This lends to the second thing, which is an actual basis for him to stand upon, an answer as to why.

Third... Willingness to listen. Often people take this as just agreement, but it doesn't mean relenting to the opposition. My way of going about this is asking questions to the opposition, showing a will to listen. Why do they support gay marriage? If they do not like this, why not this other thing? Stuff like that. Asking questions can also work to disarm the opposition; after all, many of them might be like Benedict wherein they don't have a solid basis for their opinion or belief.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of the time, when someone accuses a person of being judgmental or legalistic, it is bogus, and only a way to silence their critics.  When I see these words thrown around, I laugh them off.  I also begin to question those throwing the accusations around, if they are really saved.  I can see a judgmental accusation on the way.  :rolleyes:

The Psalms,  Torah, Prophets,  and New Testament  (ALL of God's Word)

Clearly agree completely that God's Judgment is Perfect, True, Right, Holy, and Necessary,

and Jesus Taught and  Trained all the Apostles and disciples this,  to judge rightly,  not as man judges.

Like the Bereans - not just the messenger, but the message, each message, judge by God's Word.

Test / judge/  everything ,   so the false cannot get a foothold,  cannot get inside,  cannot trick and deceive.

• Praise God! 1

19 hours ago, simplejeff said:

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping Your word.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, LightShinesInTheDarkness said:

There is a right way to judge and a wrong way to judge; but righteous judgment, including pointing out and addressing one another's faults, in love, is a part of Christianity, and one of the ways in which the Body of Christ is kept clean and healthy.

OH it was FRANCIS WHO SAID IT   ,  I watched him say it .   rather odd though He himself judges  but here is what he judges .,,  PREACHING the gospel is like JIHAD

oh yeah HE JUDGES,      having a personal relationship with JESUS outside the church IS DANGEROUS .  oh YEAH HE JUDGES . 

but he judges WRONGLY.     Yeah atheist ,  heck he says all religions are finding GOD in their own way.    YEAH .     HMMMM.    

What a lie .   And we are to judge  righteous judgment .   so keep on keeping on IN THE LORD and warnabrother if they in any error .  

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  426
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  3

For even if I grieved you with my letter, I do not regret it---though I did regret it, for I see that that letter grieved you, though only for a while. As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us.

For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! (2 Corinthians 7:8-11 ESV)

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." (Matthew 18:15-17 ESV)

Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened...

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people---not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard or swindler---not even to eat with such a one.

For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside.

"Purge the evil person from among you." (1 Corinthians 5:6, 7, 9-13 ESV)

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:1,2 ESV)

Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us...If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed. Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother. (2 Thessalonians 3:6,14,15 ESV)

See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled; that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears. (Hebrews 12:15-17 ESV)

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. (Jude 1:22,23 ESV)

Remember, the only way to love the children of God, or anyone else, is to love them God's way. Disobeying and disregarding the teachings and instructions of the New Testament in order to "love" people is an error. If you do not love God by keeping His commandments, you are not genuinely loving others either.

The demons have not stopped trying to convince men that there is another way and a better way to do something than God's way, and that man knows better than God---with the intention of leading them astray and destroying them. And they are very cunning---more cunning than Christians know, but which God knows very well.

God gave us the doctrine of the New Testament (ALL of it, just not the parts that seem good and fair to us) in His love and in His wisdom, and we are not to disregard His instructions because we think we can do it better another way, or that this thing or that thing isn't really that important or necessary.

Are we wiser than God?

And do not say to yourself "But look at all the GOOD it is doing!" because God does not see it as good: He sees it as presumption and rebellion. "To obey is better than sacrifice." Doing Christianity your own way is doing the devil's work, not God's. And just because God allows something to prosper, or uses someone or something for good, does not necessarily mean that He approves of it or that He is pleased with what He uses. (This is very important to bear in mind.) God can use anything He desires to use for a good purpose; it doesn't mean that what He uses is blessed or pleasing to Him.

If you would love others, love God, by keeping His commandments, and love others as God says to do it, even when it's difficult or painful, even if they hate you for doing it and say all kinds of evil things about you. Concern yourself with having God's approval, and know for yourself before God that you are walking in love and doing what is right in His sight, regardless of what anyone else thinks about you or says about you for doing it. The Day of Judgment will bring all things to light.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1