• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1975

Fear the Lord?

I've read and heard multiple times that we should fear God.

However, I've always conversed with Him as a friend, confidant, or advisor out of respect not fear.

He tells us in the Bible not to fear, to trust Him and be obedient. 

But yet, the Bible also tells us that, "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Psalm 111:10, "fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" Proverbs 1:7, "fear of the Lord is to hate evil" Proverbs 8:13, etc. 

Fear is the word that is messing with me and I wonder if the translation of this word is accurate. Due to the fact that when I am in fear of someone I do not trust or respect them. 

Any thoughts will be appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, sotphmfm said:

Fear the Lord?

I've read and heard multiple times that we should fear God.

However, I've always conversed with Him as a friend, confidant, or advisor out of respect not fear.

He tells us in the Bible not to fear, to trust Him and be obedient. 

But yet, the Bible also tells us that, "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Psalm 111:10, "fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" Proverbs 1:7, "fear of the Lord is to hate evil" Proverbs 8:13, etc. 

Fear is the word that is messing with me and I wonder if the translation of this word is accurate. Due to the fact that when I am in fear of someone I do not trust or respect them. 

Any thoughts will be appreciated. 

I am having trouble understanding why you can't respect or trust someone you fear, when that is no problem for me.  I consider Jesus my friend, yet he says I am his friend if I do whatsoever he commands me, conditional.  When I have looked up the word fear in James, as in work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, it mean be terrified.  Moses appeared to fear God, yet trusted and respected him.

• Group:  Junior Member

3 minutes ago, Butero said:

I am having trouble understanding why you can't respect or trust someone you fear, when that is no problem for me.  I consider Jesus my friend, yet he says I am his friend if I do whatsoever he commands me, conditional.  When I have looked up the word fear in James, as in work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, it mean be terrified.  Moses appeared to fear God, yet trusted and respected him.

Years ago, I was in an abusive relationship, this was a physical and emotional fear. Therefore, I have no respect for someone that I fear because of this past. I am trying to put into perspective the differences if there are any. 

1 minute ago, sotphmfm said:

Years ago, I was in an abusive relationship, this was a physical and emotional fear. Therefore, I have no respect for someone that I fear because of this past. I am trying to put into perspective the differences if there are any. 

That makes sense.  If you fear God and have faith in God, you will be obedient to him.  Perfect love casteth out fear.  An example of not fearing God is Ananias and Sapphira in Acts.

2 minutes ago, Butero said:

If you fear God and have faith in God, you will be obedient to him.  Perfect love casteth out fear.  An example of not fearing God is Ananias and Sapphira in Acts.

Ananias and Sapphira lied and died. Which made the people fear for their lives and be obedient. I understand that some may need to fear in order to be obedient but that seems forced, at that point is it truly Free Will?

Does one need to be in fear in order to be obedient? Can't love be enough to be obedient without the fear? 

Is True/Perfect love not enough? 

Thank you for your responses I greatly appreciate having someone to help me figure this out. 

1 Corinthians 13:4-5: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

3 minutes ago, sotphmfm said:

Ananias and Sapphira lied and died. Which made the people fear for their lives and be obedient. I understand that some may need to fear in order to be obedient but that seems forced, at that point is it truly Free Will?

Does one need to be in fear in order to be obedient? Can't love be enough to be obedient without the fear? 

Is True/Perfect love not enough? 

Thank you for your responses I greatly appreciate having someone to help me figure this out. 

1 Corinthians 13:4-5: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

You are more than welcome.  I think for some, love is enough, but not for everyone.  Even parents must use the rod of correction to instill fear.  We have jails to make us afraid to commit crimes, yet we have free will.  We can break the law and lose our freedom.  God will chastise us, and that can be severe.  Look at how God punished King David.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Fear is reverential awe, especially toward God, not the "scared" feeling the world associates with fear.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Fear is reverential awe, especially toward God, not the "scared" feeling the world associates with fear.

I believe, based on Biblical evidence, and the definition of the word, it means literal fear and terror, not just awe.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

8 minutes ago, Butero said:

Even parents must use the rod of correction to instill fear. 

I've known a few parents who raised their children as they should,  with Biblical correction as appropriate,  and it had nothing to do with trying to create nor instill "fear", ever. (Respect, yes - total free and open honesty with no fear of judgment or punishment).   The children joyously obeyed even doing dishes, reading Scripure,  any chores, and studies eagerly actually quite often,  and learning a trade whole-heartedly.   They would not lie, steal, or cheat,  and often gave gifts any time to others , sharing without ever considering what they shared their own, but as it is, God's.   Just like in ACTS, and Ekklesia after that through the centuries. 

Scripturally, as written,  the rod of correction is needed because FOOLISHNESS IS BOUND UP in a child (and many adults still because of them never being corrected properly)  and only the rod can drive it out of them,  as God Designed and Planned.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Butero said:

You are more than welcome.  I think for some, love is enough, but not for everyone.  Even parents must use the rod of correction to instill fear.  We have jails to make us afraid to commit crimes, yet we have free will.  We can break the law and lose our freedom.  God will chastise us, and that can be severe.  Look at how God punished King David.

Thank you, I am going to read about David again it has been a while. 

7 minutes ago, OneLight said:

That is what I was thinking, but many people misinterpret this word especially when it comes to wives fearing their husbands. 

Thank you