Fear the Lord?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear ...

biblehub.com/1_john/4-18.htm

There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears is not complete in love. Contemporary English Version

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Just now, Butero said:

I believe, based on Biblical evidence, and the definition of the word, it means literal fear and terror, not just awe.

That would depend on when it is being used, I guess.  I can fear the Lord and not be afraid.

1 minute ago, simplejeff said:

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear ...

biblehub.com/1_john/4-18.htm

There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears is not complete in love. Contemporary English Version

If they have perfect love for God and their neighbor, they won't sin, so there is no need to fear punishment.

1 hour ago, sotphmfm said:

Fear the Lord?

I've read and heard multiple times that we should fear God.

However, I've always conversed with Him as a friend, confidant, or advisor out of respect not fear.

He tells us in the Bible not to fear, to trust Him and be obedient. 

But yet, the Bible also tells us that, "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Psalm 111:10, "fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" Proverbs 1:7, "fear of the Lord is to hate evil" Proverbs 8:13, etc. 

Fear is the word that is messing with me and I wonder if the translation of this word is accurate. Due to the fact that when I am in fear of someone I do not trust or respect them. 

Any thoughts will be appreciated. 

Since God is Faithful and True, Trustworthy Perfectly,  any fear that leads away from Him is in error, obviously.  The wicked do (or should) fear Him,  for He holds eternity in His Hands,  and they will be punished severely if they disobey and have no faith in Him.

Read all of Proverbs 1 in VOICE at biblegateway,  and other translations also at biblegateway, as you have time:  here is a little more:

28 This is when they will call on me, but I will not respond;
    they will be frantic to find me, but they won’t be able.
29 Because they despised knowledge of my ways,
    and they also refused to respect and honor the Eternal,
30 Because they rejected my advice
    and turned down my correction,
31 They will surely get what’s coming to them:
    they’ll be forced to eat the fruit of their wicked ways;
    they’ll gorge themselves on the consequences of their choices.
32 You see, it’s turning away from me that brings death to the simple,
    and it’s self-satisfaction that destroys the fools.
33 But those who listen to me now will live under divine protection;
    they can rest knowing they are out of harm’s way.

Proverbs 1 The Voice (VOICE)

1 I, Solomon, David’s son and Israel’s king, pass on to you these proverbs—a treasury of wisdom—

So that you would recognize wisdom and value discipline;
    that you would understand insightful teaching
And receive wise guidance to live a disciplined life;
    that you would seek justice and have the ability to choose what is right and fair.

Years ago, I was in an abusive relationship, this was a physical and emotional fear. Therefore, I have no respect for someone that I fear because of this past. I am trying to put into perspective the differences if there are any. 

The Way God sees all these things, is not the same way humans/ mankind/ society/ government sees these things,  and everything will be mis-construed (not understood) if someone goes by society's standards or rules instead of God's.  The differences are LIGHT and DAY VS night and darkness.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1975

This is all reminding me of a psychology class I took in college.

Where there are stages of growth. One of the stages is like children they do what is true and right because of fear of punishment if they do not. Some people never come out of this stage.  

While others do move forward and do right not for fear of what will happen but because it is the moral thing to do. 

kolberg-1-550x382.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

Fear the Lord?

I've read and heard multiple times that we should fear God.

We fear the Lord by repenting, hearing, and obeying His voice. When people simply ignores Him, then there is no love, nor fear.

I do not talk about the fear of: "If I do wrong, I will be killed"... Actually, the fear is cast out by love.

"bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." - 1 Corinthians 13:5

And the Lord loves us, so we love Him, and if we love Him we seek to please Him as His love is in us.

"We love Him because He first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

How do we know we love Him?! If we love Him, we hate the flesh, and the world; and we love one another.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world.
    If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." - 1 John 2:15

"For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
    For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." - 1 John 5:3-4

"For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit,
    rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh" - Philippians 3:3

Glory to God! Amen. :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, sotphmfm said:

Ananias and Sapphira lied and died. Which made the people fear for their lives and be obedient. I understand that some may need to fear in order to be obedient but that seems forced, at that point is it truly Free Will?

In all the places I have lived ,   if I went out and murdered someone,  I would be afraid because there are laws against murder and I would suffer punishment ,  perhaps even death, or life imprisonment,  etc ......

Since I don't entertain any such ideas, not even to hurt any other person,  I have no fear of the law-providers/enforcement, rather enjoy that they are there to protect us all from murderers. 

If God forgives our/my sin and 'wipes the slate clean' so to speak , His Way, According to His Word,  I am JOYOUS BEYOND UNDERSTANDING !    (DAILY! )

(i.e. not afraid of Him then, for He is Just and Righteous and Merciful and so on )

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1975

Thank you everyone. My understanding somehow got muddled with this and I thought that maybe I was ignoring it. But my understanding is clear again. 

This is all reminding me of a psychology class I took in college.

Where there are stages of growth. One of the stages is like children they do what is true and right because of fear of punishment if they do not. Some people never come out of this stage.  

Children of Ekklesia (saved parent(s)) , when raised as they should be, have no need to fear, and may not even know fear.

Remember ,  "fear" (common, and ungodly)  is something that is TAUGHT ,  yes, taught even to infants and little children,

not based on reality, truth, or hope or life in Jesus.   (the wicked may even fear their own shadow!)

The Righteous have no fear (see testimony of Scripture in HEBREWS, NEW TESTAMENT).  Not even of disease, armies, enemies, etc....

Because of the Lord's Word and His Faithfulness.   (This is spoken many times through all Scripture, OT and NT).

The world's ideas of fear,  like taught in psychology class, are opposed to God and His Word.

Most all other things they teach are also opposed to His Word,  not knowing Him, and not trusting Him.

• Thumbs Up 1