• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/10/1958

from some experiences that I have had in my searching for truth, i am just looking for a bit of understanding as to how being worthy is perceived

Blessing,linda

forgive me as I am learning to post on here. I do not see where I am able to reply to the comments made to my post and I feel I was not clear enough in what it is that I am asking.

I am a believer who has in my journey been exposed to some different religions.  one of which the term worthy was equal to works, that it was through works that you became worthy so be it the term used here of worthy was throwing me off a bit.

Edited by MsLinda
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Matthew 10:37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Whosoever looks on Me and believes in Me shall be saved. Just begin there.

As you draw closer to Him, He will draw closer to you. It is a two-way street; a continual discovery.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, MsLinda said:

from some experiences that I have had in my searching for truth, i am just looking for a bit of understanding as to how being worthy is perceived

Blessing,linda

forgive me as I am learning to post on here. I do not see where I am able to reply to the comments made to my post and I feel I was not clear enough in what it is that I am asking.

I am a believer who has in my journey been exposed to some different religions.  one of which the term worthy was equal to works, that it was through works that you became worthy so be it the term used here of worthy was throwing me off a bit.

In Christianity we are ""deemed" to be worthy ( To enter into Gods eternal perfect existence) when we are in a position of having our unworthiness Atoned for ( paid for / forgiven) justly ( the Way God has deemed correct)..

This Way was achieved by the Atoning sacrifice of the LORD Jesus Christ who paid the death penalty for the unworthy actions and thoughts of all human beings who would come to believe the teachings of Jesus ( that they are true and good) and also Trust ( have faith) that the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ actually does pays the penalty for all our personal unworthiness...

I hope that has covered your question in regards to Christianity MsLinda..

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Hi MsLinda,

The term "worthy", in WorthyChristianForums, comes from this verse:

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. Luke 21:36

Generally, the idea of worthyness, is that you are 'worth' it, deserving of what you are receiving. No one is worthy of the things God gives us, least of all the salvation He offers.

We, all being sinners, have rejected God to one degree or another, and are worthy of being judged for that - resulting in separation from God. That, separation from God, is the state that all people find themselves in, apart from Christ.

You were taught, that worthy is synonymous with works.

Paul said in Romans:

19Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

Paraphase: Nothing you can do, is good enough to be justified. Justification is a term that comes from the court, the place of judgement. In Theology, it is the action of declaring or making righteous in the sight of God. So, works, cannot make us righteous in God's sight, and as Isaiah 64:6 says:

For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
            And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment;
            And all of us wither like a leaf,
            And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

In other words, our attempts at being good, are not enough to cut it will God. Since sin separates us from Him, we need to be considered perfect.

We cannot be perfect, but, the good news is that we can be "accounted worthy". That is to say, we can have our slate wiped clean, or record cleared, by the verdict of the Judge. We have a fine, we cannot pay, but payment must be made in order to bail us out, to gain our freedom.

Galations 2:16

nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

Ephesians 2:

8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves,it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

So, we cannot earn it, but we CAN receive it as a gift, if we are believers. This who believe, receive salvation as a gift, not something earned by works. 

Now some are tempted to then think:

"Wow, if I cannot earn my salvation, but it is a gift, then I can do as I want, even sin, and ignore doing works."

That would be a twisted gospel, not the gospel of the Bible. In that very next verse, Paul went on to say:

10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Works are then therefore, our job, it is what we are created for. We do not do works in order to be saved, or counted worthy, we do good works as a result of being counted worth / being saved.

We are counted worthy, because the sins of believers were paid for, by the work of Christ on the cross. That is what if means:

"by grace you have been saved through faith"

Faith and works, go together, but our "worthyness" is Christ's perfection, given to us - He paid the bail and now we are free from God's judgement, our case has been dismissed.

I hope that was helpful to your understanding of "worthy". Welcome to Worthy, by the way! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1