• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Hopefully without leading into debate, what are the principles of financial investment that  are found within the Bible?

And are there financial planners that  are decent resources for guidance?

As a backdrop, so many within the populations around the whole world are struggling with subsistence, never mind investments, why is that the case? Is the success of finances first and foremost a spiritual issue, more so than an economic issue?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

28 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Hopefully without leading into debate, what are the principles of financial investment that  are found within the Bible?

And are there financial planners that  are decent resources for guidance?

As a backdrop, so many within the populations around the whole world are struggling with subsistence, never mind investments, why is that the case? Is the success of finances first and foremost a spiritual issue, more so than an economic issue?

Those are three questions that could each lead to separate discussions.

Regarding the second question about financial planners:   There are likely some helpful financial planners, but they can be very hard to find.  A large percentage of financial planners make a commission based on what you buy and invest so there's a clear conflict of interest.  Fee bases financial planners avoid that conflict, but you're still depending on their education and perspective for any guidance.  There are many financial planning resources free online as well,  but as with anything careful discernment is necessary. 

Regarding the first question about biblical principles of financial investment, I've heard a few different views.  One friend doesn't attempt to make any money other then what's absolutely necessary to feed his family.  His view is to listen carefully to God and rely completely on Him to provide.  Another friend works hard to advance his career and make more money, but lives simply and tries hard to donate more money to Christian charities.  Yet another friend donates exactly 10% of his income to the church and relies on the church to tell him anything else that's needed or required.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

54 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Is the success of finances first and foremost a spiritual issue, more so than an economic issue?

No.   It is usually a test from YHVH to see if Ekklesia will turn away from Him. 

Most do.

On searching "success" in BIBLEGATEWAY.com  >>  one example >>

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James+2&version=VOICE

" James 2 The Voice (VOICE)

2 My brothers and sisters, I know you’ve heard this before, but stop playing favorites! Do not try to blend the genuine faith of our glorious Lord Jesus, the Anointed One, with your silly pretentiousness. 2 If an affluent gentleman enters your gathering wearing the finest clothes and priceless jewelry, don’t trip over each other trying to welcome him. And if a penniless bum crawls in with his shabby clothes and a stench fills the room, don’t look away or pretend you didn’t notice—offer him a seat up front, next to you. 3-4 If you tell the wealthy man, “Come sit by me; there’s plenty of room,” but tell the vagrant, “Oh, these seats are saved. Go over there,” then you’ll be judging God’s children out of evil motives.

5 My dear brothers and sisters, listen: God has picked the poor of this world to become unfathomably rich in faith and ultimately to inherit the Kingdom, which He has pledged to those who love Him. 6 By favoring the rich, you have mocked the poor. And, correct me if I’m wrong,

but isn’t it the rich who step on you while climbing the ladder of success? And isn’t it the rich who take advantage of you and drag you into court? 7 Aren’t they the ones mocking the noble name of our God, the One calling us?"... ... ...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Forgive me for being terrible with memory, but I can recall something like, "Do not envy the wicked, for their life is in this life, not the next". That's not to say that everyone with a decent amount of money is automatically wicked, but from what most i've seen, most people who have money tend to trample on other folks in order to obtain that wealth and have a regard only for themselves. Money does not corrupt a man, but a man can become corrupt in the pursuit of it.

Me personally, I try to keep it simple. All a man really needs is a roof over his head, a bed to sleep in, and some food on the table. Taking on a lower standard of living can save you money, and while i'm not exactly rolling in dough, I don't stress about it. They could charge you for this or that all they want and you might never be able to pay it off; so what's the point in fretting? Letting them get to you is how they win. Remain calm. Let them froth at the mouth about their cling and clang; money is their issue, not yours. Remain faithful, and in the end, everything will be fine, no matter what storm cometh.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreyDestiny said:

Money does not corrupt a man, but a man can become corrupt in the pursuit of it.

Money, gold, silver, commodities, all the world's marketables HAVE CORRUPTED all society/ every corporation and government and religion and agency of MEN  .......  few escape the power of the world system under the enemy.....

2 hours ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:21

"Do not store up treasure on earth ....... "

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Christians and financial planning formulas

My wife and I were moved to take our savings and, not trusting the financial systems available, invested in our children. Totally, Got out, stayed out, of debt!
My family uses the old cookie jar principal (upgraded to the envelope system). Put the earned money in the jar, remove it when needed. When we put in more than we remove, we save. If no money in jar, eat beans and bread. System works. God supplies all our needs. And much more.

1Co_3:7  So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
2Co 9:6  But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

You can't out give God! And that's a fact, Jack! (The best return on good investments are usually not financial)

• Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, Neighbor said:

Is the success of finances first and foremost a spiritual issue

Matthew chapter 6 verse 19

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

• Thanks 1