Sign in to follow this  
Yowm

Type overs

Every once in a while, while typing on a forum, my computer will go into 'type over' mode. What is type over mode? It's probably a name I made up but it happens when you attempt to insert a word or characters between two words and as you do it starts typing over (erasing) the letters in front.

As an example if I type 'the car' and then attempt to insert the word 'red' between 'the' and 'car', it ends up looking something like 'the red'.

Does this happen to you?

Cause?

Cure?

That's called overtype, you were close. It is activated by tapping the INSERT key and, deactivated the same way. Depending on your keyboard, accidentally hitting the INSERT key can be quite easy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlueMoods said:

That's called overtype, you were close. It is activated by tapping the INSERT key and, deactivated the same way. Depending on your keyboard, accidentally hitting the INSERT key can be quite easy.

Thanks a whole lot, I believe you are right and I never realized that. The insert key sits kitty-corner to my backspace key which I use often. Tested what you said and it seems to be the mysterious culprit. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sign in to follow this