IGNORED

The Significance of the Technical Term "Earth Dwellers" to the Formation of a Biblical Eschatological Model

Steve Conley

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  401
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ,

Years ago, in the course of my eschatological studies, I came across someone, I don't remember whom, that suggested that the "earth dwellers" was a kind of technical term for those who receive the mark of the beast and worship him in the last days. The statement meant little to me at the time, nevertheless it was filed away in my memory for a future day.

Years later that day came. It was at the end of a time in my life, a period of God's correction of my eschatological beliefs. Over the course of many months my fervent pretribulationism was challenged and suffered many devastating blows. These were not the assaults of men, but of the Word of God upon a system of belief that was fashionable within the circles of my fellowship, but entirely without scriptural foundation. However, I was stubborn and not prone to change, so, as long as there was even a single verse I could hold on to that appeared to indicate that the church wouldn't be around for the great tribulation, I remained steadfastly pre-trib in my belief and preaching. 

The one verse that I had remaining, out of what had been seemingly a multitude, was Rev 3:10. "Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." (Rev 3:10) I thought, surely this verse was clear, the church will be kept from the hour of temptation, we will not go through the great tribulation.

I was very confident in my understanding of "kept ... from" (tēreō ek), I had spent much time studying and considering what that means. I defended the teaching, that the faithful church in Philadelphia would be kept from or out of the hour of temptation and that it wasn't saying that we would be kept through it, as many post-tribbers teach. (It is true that God will keep the 144,000 and the woman of Rev 12 who is hid and fed in the wilderness, both of these he keeps through the period of His wrath, but the church is out of here first.) I still have confidence that "out of" is the right understanding, God will remove His own before His wrath is poured out.

So, I had my one verse for the pre-trib rapture, Rev 3:10. However, I was still unsettled. The problem was that the weight of the rest of the Scriptures contradicted my understanding of this one verse. Then came that day, that's when I remembered that someone had said that "earth dwellers" was a technical term for the Beast worshipers. Rev 3:10 used that term (earth dwellers), "them that dwell upon the earth". So, I began to verify that idea and then apply it to this passage. What I found brought a harmony in my understanding of the eschatological texts.

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." (Rev 3:10)

When considering Rev 3:10, it is very important to understand the focus of the trial in context. It is that which will allow you to rightly understand what the notable hour of temptation is. In this verse, the focus is said to be upon the earth dwellers, “them that dwell upon the earth.” “The earth dwellers” is a technical term throughout the eschatological portions of the New Testament. The term is the combination of two Greek words (gē and katoikeō or a variation thereof). It always refers to those dwelling on the earth that worship the Beast and receive his mark (even in Rev 12:12). This can be understood to be true by observing this combination of words in the following texts.

Jesus says concerning the Day of the LORD:

Luk 21:35  For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

Jesus uses this combination of words in an eschatological context. He says that the earth dwellers are going to be surprised by the Lord's coming and His wrath on the day of the Lord. They will be caught suddenly, unawares (Luke 21:34; 1Thes 5:3).

However, Paul clearly teaches that the Day of the LORD will not overtake the watching believer as a thief.

1Th 5:4  But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
1Th 5:5  Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

So “them that dwell on the face of the whole earth” excludes the watching saints. This term is not all inclusive. It refers only to those who are caught unawares or suddenly by Christ's return. (The very elect will not be surprised, because we expect His coming and He has given us events to watch for which will indicate the season of His return and our gathering together unto Him.)

Next, let's look at what John records concerning the two witnesses:

Rev 11:7  And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Rev 11:10  And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Notice here that the earth-dwellers rejoice at the death of God’s two witnesses, which no believer would do. These earth-dwellers are followers of the Beast and False Prophet and they rejoice when God's two witnesses are overcome and killed by the Beast. So, again we see that earth-dwellers excludes the saints.

Let's look at another instance of John's use of this technical term. Here, it is used for those who are deceived by the false prophet:

Rev 13:14  And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Take notice that the earth-dwellers here are deceived by the False Prophet into worshiping the Beast and receiving his mark, but Jesus said that it was not possible for the “very elect” to be deceived (Matt. 24:24).

Eleven verses in the book of Revelation contain this technical term for those who worship the Beast and receive his mark.

Recognizing that the focus of the temptation in Rev 3:10 is upon the earth dwellers, we know that it refers to God's fierce wrath at the beginning of the day of the Lord and not Satan's wrath (Rev 12:12) upon the elect and Israel in the great tribulation. It is God’s tribulation upon the unbelieving, Beast worshipers, who will persecute the church and Israel in the great tribulation, that is referenced in Rev 3:10. The persecuted saints are said to be kept from the hour of temptation, that is, removed from the sphere of God’s, day of the Lord, wrath.

All praise, honour, and glory be unto the Lamb

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,986
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, Steve Conley said:

Recognizing that the focus of the temptation in Rev 3:10 is upon the earth dwellers, we know that it refers to God's fierce wrath at the beginning of the day of the Lord and not Satan's wrath (Rev 12:12) upon the elect and Israel in the great tribulation. It is God’s tribulation upon the unbelieving, Beast worshipers, who will persecute the church and Israel in the great tribulation, that is referenced in Rev 3:10. The persecuted saints are said to be kept from the hour of temptation, that is, removed from the sphere of God’s, day of the Lord, wrath.

The time, times, and half a time (1260 days) of the time of great distress found in Daniel 12 will be greater than any since the time that there was a nation.  It will affect everyone on earth.

It is at this time that the following time frames run concurrently:

• Israel flees to the wilderness (time, times, half a time / 1260 days)
  • the false prophet is given authority over the saints (time, times, half a time / 42 months)
  • the two witnesses are on earth (1260 days)

The time of great distress begins with the great tribulation of the fifth seal when believers are martyred.  The great tribulation ends at the sixth seal some 3-4 months later.  By that time, everyone has decided whether to take the mark and worship the image or not.  The 144,000 then come on the scene and it is through them that the time of great tribulation is cut short of the full 42 months.  During the time of great tribulation there was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide to be safe.  The 144,000 provide that place of refuge, otherwise no flesh would be saved.  After the 3-4 months of great tribulation, the seven plagues begin.  The seven plagues are God's discipline and ultimately His wrath.  They are to convince people of their error in worshiping the false prophet and to repent of that idolatry.  Those who repent can seek shelter with the 144,000.

The time of testing is the seven plagues.  It is for those who were deceived into accepting the mark of the false prophet and worshiping the image.  Those who rejected the mark and the image are exempt from the testing of the plagues because they kept the word of God's perseverance as described in Rev 13 & 14.

3 hours ago, Last Daze said:

The time, times, and half a time (1260 days) of the time of great distress found in Daniel 12 will be greater than any since the time that there was a nation.  It will affect everyone on earth.

It is at this time that the following time frames run concurrently:

• Israel flees to the wilderness (time, times, half a time / 1260 days)
  • the false prophet is given authority over the saints (time, times, half a time / 42 months)
  • the two witnesses are on earth (1260 days)

The time of great distress begins with the great tribulation of the fifth seal when believers are martyred.  The great tribulation ends at the sixth seal some 3-4 months later.  By that time, everyone has decided whether to take the mark and worship the image or not.  The 144,000 then come on the scene and it is through them that the time of great tribulation is cut short of the full 42 months.  During the time of great tribulation there was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide to be safe.  The 144,000 provide that place of refuge, otherwise no flesh would be saved.  After the 3-4 months of great tribulation, the seven plagues begin.  The seven plagues are God's discipline and ultimately His wrath.  They are to convince people of their error in worshiping the false prophet and to repent of that idolatry.  Those who repent can seek shelter with the 144,000.

The time of testing is the seven plagues.  It is for those who were deceived into accepting the mark of the false prophet and worshiping the image.  Those who rejected the mark and the image are exempt from the testing of the plagues because they kept the word of God's perseverance as described in Rev 13 & 14.

Last Daze, do you realize that there are two distinct periods of tribulation in the second half of the week. In the first the Beast tribulates the church and Israel, in the second God tribulates the Beast and the earth-dwellers which follow him.

Hallelujah

The End of the Age Diagram March 2018 jpeg.jpg

6 minutes ago, Steve Conley said:

Last Daze, do you realize that there are two distinct periods of tribulation in the second half of the week. In the first the Beast tribulates the church and Israel, in the second God tribulates the Beast and the earth-dwellers which follow him.

Hallelujah

The End of the Age Diagram March 2018 jpeg.jpg

I agree that those are the two groups, but their respective "tribulations" overlap in the time of great distress of Daniel 12.

1 minute ago, Last Daze said:

I agree that those are the two groups, but their respective "tribulations" overlap in the time of great distress of Daniel 12.

Last Daze, Paul says that the church is not appointed unto wrath (God's day of the Lord wrath).

1Th 5:2  For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
1Th 5:3  For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
1Th 5:4  But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
1Th 5:5  Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
1Th 5:6  Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
1Th 5:7  For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
1Th 5:8  But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
1Th 5:9  For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Th 5:10  Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

The church must be removed from the earth prior to the wrath of God being poured out upon the day of the Lord. God's wrath begins with the first trumpet judgement.

2Th 1:6  Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
2Th 1:7  And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
2Th 1:8  In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
2Th 1:10  When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Paul says that the saints will find rest from persecution on the day of Christ's revelation, the very same day His wrath begins to be poured out upon those who had been persecuting the church.

Hallelujah

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

Here's a description of 'Earth dwellers" from the Morrish Bible Dictionary. 

This is an emphatic expression in the Revelation characterising those that seek their portion on earth at the time when the Lord Jesus Christ is refused His rights in it: a great trial awaits them. Re 3:10. Others, persecuted by them, call upon God to avenge their blood. Re 6:10. The dwellers on earth will rejoice over the death of the two witnesses who stand before the God of the earth: they will worship the first beast, and be deceived by the miracles of Antichrist; yet the everlasting gospel will be preached to them, calling them to "Fear God, and give glory to him: for the hour of his judgement is come." We do not read of their repentance. Re 11:10; 13:8,12,14; 14:6;

There's a ton of evidence and scripture to support and believe in the pretribulation Rapture, too numerous to mention them all. Another thing that's seldom mentioned in support of the pre-trib Rapture is the traditional Jewish wedding. The wedding preparation, coming, snatching away, feast, etc. exactly mirror and it a 'type' of the Christian snatching away. We should all know that God's children are not subject to His coming wrath. It makes no logical sense for the Bride Groom to beat up His bride right before the wedding. 

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

1 hour ago, Steve Conley said:

The church must be removed from the earth prior to the wrath of God being poured out upon the day of the Lord. God's wrath begins with the first trumpet judgement.

You might want to reconsider this "necessity".

Were the children of Israel removed from the earth prior to the Egyptian plagues?  Or were they kept from them?  And didn't the blood of a lamb play a role in their protection?

Just because "removing the church from the earth" sounds like an easy solution from a human perspective doesn't make it a "must".  I hope you'll consider other alternatives, starting with perhaps the 144,000 who come on the scene just before the seven plagues.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  1,678
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/07/1941

From the fact of there being NO Bible verse saying that anyone other than the two Witnesses, will be taken to heaven; to the great many that tell us what God WILL do for His people, we know it will be His PROTECTION that will save all who call upon His Name on the Day He destroys His enemies. Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21

Protection for His people:

Psalms 23:4 Even if I walk through a valley of darkness, I will fear no harm, for You are with me.

Isaiah 41:3 For I the Lord, will hold your right hand, saying: fear not, I will help you.

Isaiah 43:2b…walk thru fire and you will not be scorched, thru flames and not be burned.

Zephaniah 2:3 Seek the Lord, all you who obey Him, it may be that you will be sheltered on the Day of the Lord’s anger.

Proverbs 3:25 Do not be afraid when fools are frightened or when destruction overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be at your side on that Day.

Daniel 3:25 An angel protects the 3 men in the furnace. THEY weren’t taken out of it!

Jeremiah 30:7 How terrible is that Day….yet Jacob [Israel: My people] will come thru it safely.

1 Corinthians 10:13.... God will not test you beyond your powers and when the test comes, He will provide a way out to enable you to endure.

Psalms 9:10 The Lord does not abandon those who seek Him and trust in Him.

2 Peter 2:9 God knows how to rescue the godly from their trials.

Psalms 18:3 I shall call upon the Lord, then I will be made safe.

Psalms 31:23-24 The Lord protects the faithful. Be strong, all you whose hope is in the Lord.

Psalms 64:10 The righteous rejoice, their refuge in the Lord.

Zechariah 9:15-16 The Lord of hosts will protect His people...On that Day, He will save them, like a flock, for they are precious to Him. Isaiah 61:10

Psalms 37:18-19 The Lord watches over the righteous, when times are bad, they will not be distressed.

Job 22:30 He will deliver the innocent, because their hands are pure.

Psalms 91:1-16 ...He will rescue you, you will not fear the terrors abroad.

Psalms 121:1-8 Our help comes from the Lord, He will guard your life.

Psalms 109:31 The Lord stands at the right hand of the poor and saves them from trials.

Isaiah 51:16 I keep you covered under the shelter of My hand.

Psalms 97:10-12 He keeps His loyal servants safe and rescues them from the wicked.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 Blessed is anyone who trusts in the Lord, they will be like trees by a stream, when the heat comes it has nothing to fear.

Nahum 1:7 The Lord is a sure protection in times of trouble and cares for all those who make Him their refuge.

Psalms 60:4-5 To those who fear the Lord, He will show the way to escape from trouble.

Psalms 37:9 For evildoers will be destroyed, those who trust in the Lord will prosper in the Land.

Isaiah 26:20 On that Day, I will come to your aid.

Daniel 12:1 There will be a time of anguish, but at that time, Your people will be delivered, all those whose names are written in the Book of Life.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 ...to give you relief when the Lord Jesus comes in blazing fire.

Joel 3:16 The Lord roars from Zion, the heavens and the earth shudder, but He is a refuge for His people and a defence for Israel.

Isaiah 65:9b My chosen ones will take possession of the land, those who serve Me will live there.

Ecclesiasticus 34:13-17 Those who fear the Lord will live, for their trust in Him can keep them safe. The Lord keeps watch over those who love Him, He is their shield and support, a shelter from the scorching wind and the heat of the sun. He raises their spirits and gives healing, life and blessings.

Reference: Revised English Bible.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Here's a description of 'Earth dwellers" from the Morrish Bible Dictionary. 

This is an emphatic expression in the Revelation characterising those that seek their portion on earth at the time when the Lord Jesus Christ is refused His rights in it: a great trial awaits them. Re 3:10. Others, persecuted by them, call upon God to avenge their blood. Re 6:10. The dwellers on earth will rejoice over the death of the two witnesses who stand before the God of the earth: they will worship the first beast, and be deceived by the miracles of Antichrist; yet the everlasting gospel will be preached to them, calling them to "Fear God, and give glory to him: for the hour of his judgement is come." We do not read of their repentance. Re 11:10; 13:8,12,14; 14:6;

There's a ton of evidence and scripture to support and believe in the pretribulation Rapture, too numerous to mention them all. Another thing that's seldom mentioned in support of the pre-trib Rapture is the traditional Jewish wedding. The wedding preparation, coming, snatching away, feast, etc. exactly mirror and it a 'type' of the Christian snatching away. We should all know that God's children are not subject to His coming wrath. It makes no logical sense for the Bride Groom to beat up His bride right before the wedding. 

Dennis1209, I was a pretribulationist for 40 years and taught it for 30 years. Today I cannot find even one verse that would cause me to believe that the church will be raptured before the seventieth week begins or before the great tribulation starts in the middle of the week. For years I clothed myself with "all" the supposed evidence for that eschatological model but God in his grace and mercy furnished me with the true mirror of the Word that allowed me to see that as a pretribulationist I was naked. The emperor has no clothes.

A quick word to help you. God's wrath is poured out in the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:2-3). The day of the Lord is preceded by the cosmic sign of (Joel 2:31). The cosmic sign of Joel 2:31 takes place immediately after the great tribulation (Matt 24:29). Therefore the great tribulation is not God's wrath! Jesus isn't beating anyone up, in the great tribulation or now. Millions have died as Christian martyrs in the last hundred years alone, Jesus is not beating them up. It will get much worse for us when Satan is cast out of heaven in the middle of the week. (Rev 12:12) says he is cast to the earth "having great wrath". It is at this very time in the middle of the week when the man of sin is revealed in the temple shewing himself to be God (2Thes 2:3-10). Jesus called that the abomination of desolation (Matt 24:15). Jesus says that is when the great tribulation starts (Matt 24:21).

Any one that can read can understand what is in the previous paragraph. It is not complicated. It is not rocket science. All it takes is someone willing to believe what Jesus, Paul, John, Peter, Daniel, and others have to say as recorded in the Holy Scriptures.

Indeed the church is raptured before God begins to tribulate the unbelieving, Beast worshiping, earth dwellers (Matt 24:31; 1Thes 4:15-17; 2Thes 2:1; 1Thes 5:9; 2Thes 1:6-10).

All praise, honour, and glory be unto the Lord Jesus Christ.

19 hours ago, Last Daze said:

You might want to reconsider this "necessity".

Were the children of Israel removed from the earth prior to the Egyptian plagues?  Or were they kept from them?  And didn't the blood of a lamb play a role in their protection?

Just because "removing the church from the earth" sounds like an easy solution from a human perspective doesn't make it a "must".  I hope you'll consider other alternatives, starting with perhaps the 144,000 who come on the scene just before the seven plagues.

Last Daze, indeed, if God chose to, he could protect the church through His wrath as he will the 144,000 Jewish virgin men (12,000 from each of the 12 tribes with the exception of Dan) and the woman of Rev 12. However, we are told that we will be gathered by the angels unto Jesus before He pours out His wrath in the trumpet and vial judgements.

John witnessed the great earthquake and cosmic sign which will announce Christ's impending arrival (Ref 6:12-17). Jesus tells us that his appearing follows the cosmic sign and that it is at that time that the elect (the church) are gathered to Him by the angels (Matt 24:29-31). John describes what he saw in heaven following this gathering (Rev 7:9-17). It is an innumerable company of believers in Jesus Christ (the Church) having received their glorified bodies standing before the throne of God. "These are they which came out of great tribulation". These are the resurrected and raptured saints. Paul said that there was an order to the resurrection of both the just and the unjust (1Cor 15:23). He said that the just would be resurrected first, "they that are Christ's at His coming". The rapture is always associated with the first resurrection (1Thes 4:13-17; 1Cor 15:51-52; Dan 12:1-2). Also, the first resurrection is said to involve those who experienced the great tribulation but didn't worship the Beast (Rev 20:4-6). The first resurrection happens at His coming (parousia).

Following the scene of the church in heaven, John says the seventh seal is opened and the first trumpet blown bringing the first stroke of God's wrath upon the earth dwellers (Rev 8).

The reason we must be removed from the earth is because the Word of God says we will. That is how God chose to remove the church from (kept...from) the sphere of His fierce indignation. It might be good for you to reexamine the use of tereo ek in John 17:15, paying close attention to what it is that Jesus prays His disciples be kept from.

Hallelujah