Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I have been doing a chronological expository study of the New Testament, and some things are popping up I never thought of before.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

All my life I applied this verse to the entire Bible, apparently it can only refer to the Old Testament which was God - inspired and God breathed, and not the New Testament. The only written God - inspired scripture that was available during the Apostles time were Old Testament scripture. The New Testament wouldn't come about for decades to come. Which leads to a logical question: Did the Apostles and disciples know their letters and writings would one day become the New Testament?

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 

I would also think the 'scripture' referred to here is also Old Testament prophecy for the same reasons. The meaning of its interpretation are not found within itself. It can only be understood by being compared with the event, gradually developed. 

One other thing I'm searching for in scripture to verify another thought I have, that maybe someone can help. With the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus, a New Covenant was made by faith and Grace. I'm of the opinion that the "ceremonial law" was abolished, but the "moral law" (the Ten Commandments) remains in effect. Having a difficult time verifying that with scripture.

Am I interpreting the above correctly?

I think you're right. That's one of the scriptures I couldn't recall I was hunting for, thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

11 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I have been doing a chronological expository study of the New Testament, and some things are popping up I never thought of before.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

All my life I applied this verse to the entire Bible, apparently it can only refer to the Old Testament which was God - inspired and God breathed, and not the New Testament. The only written God - inspired scripture that was available during the Apostles time were Old Testament scripture. The New Testament wouldn't come about for decades to come. Which leads to a logical question: Did the Apostles and disciples know their letters and writings would one day become the New Testament?

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 

I would also think the 'scripture' referred to here is also Old Testament prophecy for the same reasons. The meaning of its interpretation are not found within itself. It can only be understood by being compared with the event, gradually developed. 

One other thing I'm searching for in scripture to verify another thought I have, that maybe someone can help. With the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus, a New Covenant was made by faith and Grace. I'm of the opinion that the "ceremonial law" was abolished, but the "moral law" (the Ten Commandments) remains in effect. Having a difficult time verifying that with scripture.

Jesus said:::

John 16: KJV

12 "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. {13} Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. {14} He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you."

So the writings of the Apostles that came after the assention of Jesus where guided by the Spirit of Truth / The Holy Spirit and thus their words are Scripture.

that maybe someone can help. With the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus

What specific problem / problems do you have With the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus?  How can i help you?

Edited by Adstar

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

Which leads to a logical question: Did the Apostles and disciples know their letters and writings would one day become the New Testament?

I believe yes.

"teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo,
    I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen." - Matthew 28:20

but the "moral law" (the Ten Commandments) remains in effect.

The moral law was made for those who live according to the flesh, as the Spirit cannot and will not break any of these laws.

"Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves.
    Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? - unless indeed you are disqualified." - 2 Corinthians 13:5

"Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
    So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God." - Romans 8:7-8

Because the law is not of faith, and the Spirit walks by faith; which means nothing from the Spirit is sin.

"But he who doubts is condemned if he eats,
    because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin." - Romans 14:23

Remember, the pharisees were known by applying the law with no mercy at all, by blindly following it. Because they were walking according to the flesh, and not the Spirit.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin,
    and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith.
These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." - Matthew 23:23

So, those who live according to the Spirit fulfills the law.

"that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us
    who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." - Romans 8:4

"But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit,
    if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.
        Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." - Romans 8:9

Only those who have repented and received forgiveness through Christ have His Spirit.

"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
    who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." - John 1:12-13

Glory to God! Amen.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

The ten commandments were the old covenant.  But it's spirit is written in our hearts. Like don't take the Lord's name in vain. We now want to honor his name.

All of the Apostles new testament writings were holy spirit breathe. We are reading Gods words. Very important to know this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,787
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

13 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Jer 31:33
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
KJV
Rom 2:13-15
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
KJV

No there is evidence they knew what God was doing with their letters

Colossians 4:15 (KJV)

[15] Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

[16] And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 (KJV)

[27] I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.

2 Peter 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

[16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

1 Timothy 5:18 (KJV)

[18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

a good treatise on this https://www.gotquestions.org/NT-authors-inspired.html

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Adstar said:

What specific problem / problems do you have With the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus?  How can i help you?

By properly cutting and pasting the sentence and context.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/9/2018 at 4:34 PM, Dennis1209 said:

God's word would not be limited to anything other than whether or not it was inspired or given by God.

If it were even possible, there may be a weak case against the epistles, but not for the gospels or the book of Revelation.

There also needs to be consideration given to the time when God's law is written on our hearts. In other words, placing a limit on God to only speak through His word written on tablets, would in fact violate the unforgivable sin of denying the Holy Spirit.

As for the ceremonial law vs. the ten commandments - all are fulfilled in Christ, for He said, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."

Edited by ScottA

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

By properly cutting and pasting the sentence and context.

Sorry i have no idea what you are talking about..

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,  who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw."

Hi, Looks to me there is rather direct assertion by John at Patmos in as late as 95AD that God was still directly inspiring the Bible.

• Thumbs Up 1