IGNORED

Are young people less interested in Jesus, and what does God calls us to do?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I was running a bible study of young people, and he said the biggest things on his mind were his dirt bikes and that that was in the foreground and Jesus was in the background.

We hear the same thing with others, tv shows, personal dramas, relationship dramas, these all take the foreground while Jesus is in the background.

Have any of you had challenges with your children or young people you know, praying that they put God first but the things of things world swallow them up…

In your experience what drives people away from Jesus, i.e too much time on facebook, Netflix, what have you found?

And what have you found to be helpful in dealing with this

Thank you friends

Sal

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Yes, it is common these days, ever since God was removed from schools and made to be the opposite choice for today's society that excepts all that is against God.

On the other hand, those who do have an interest, but are to committed, remember the parable of the prodigal son.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

I don’t think there is anything new under the sun.....

better dirt bikes than booze,pot,acid,cocaine,meaningless sex and atheism that were my priorities in my misspent youth....kids need our prayers....somebody somewhere surely prayed for me

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

3 hours ago, Sal Robinson said:

Are young people less interested in Jesus, and what does God calls us to do?

"But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing,
    drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly." - Luke 21:34

Welcome! :laugh:

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2
Welcome
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Sal Robinson said:

I was running a bible study of young people, and he said the biggest things on his mind were his dirt bikes and that that was in the foreground and Jesus was in the background.

We hear the same thing with others, tv shows, personal dramas, relationship dramas, these all take the foreground while Jesus is in the background.

Have any of you had challenges with your children or young people you know, praying that they put God first but the things of things world swallow them up…

In your experience what drives people away from Jesus, i.e too much time on facebook, Netflix, what have you found?

And what have you found to be helpful in dealing with this

Thank you friends

Sal

What does one do? Live as  a bond servant of Jesus giving testimony as a witness of and for Christ Jesus in all that we do. 

Kids will be as enthusiastic as they are encouraged to be. They also see very clearly when an adult speaks one thing and lives out another- that will turn them off to  our Lord, for the testimony by the adult then is that all  doesn't really matter.

It is not the kids that may be more or less receptive, but the adults that may not have the boldness of faith in Christ Jesus as to live it, and provide the example to the young. 

None the less, it is God the Holy Spirit that calls each individual to their own repentance and toward Jesus as their Lord and savior.  Be in prayer that the Holy Spirit will turn about the young, pray by their names when possible, and be the witness that also gives testimony in word and in deed sharing by action the result of the word of God, as well as the word itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I share that having volunteered and having worked at two Christian Schools where I  have seen some 600 plus kids each year for some 20 years now, that there certainly are enthusiastic for our lord Jesus young, and there are determined families raising them too!

Please keep your own in prayer each day, and adopt some more (Their friends and school mates) for daily prayer as well, praying for them by name as the teachers counselors and administrators do at the schools I am familiar with, and watch their progress, see them declare their own faith,  attend their baptisms, and encourage their teachers plus support financially and with prayer the schools in your own area too. Thanks

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

18 hours ago, Sal Robinson said:

In your experience what drives people away from Jesus

I'm not saying you, but when I was a kid most people in church like the pastors, didn't know what they were talking about.

I've spent a lot of years studying the bible because no one could answer my questions.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

"In your experience what drives people away from Jesus, i.e too much time on facebook, Netflix, what have you found?"

From what I've seen, churches are the biggest thing driving kids away from Jesus.    If you can get them to speak openly, they'll tell you why. 

In some cases, they simply don't see a value.  The people there are frequently all old, the songs and rituals are long, and there's not much actually said and even less discussed.  Questions the kids have may never be mentioned at all.  Once they leave home, visiting a church like they experienced isn't a high priority.

In other cases, what they see in church drives them away and at times from Christianity in general.  They may see evil and non-Christian practices either allowed, openly practiced, or even recommended as what they should be doing.  These are the things that can make kids become agnostic or even atheist.  Once they have experiences churches as these, it can be hard to convince them Christianity in general isn't evil.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, bryan said:

"In your experience what drives people away from Jesus, i.e too much time on facebook, Netflix, what have you found?"

They start far away from Jesus in life,  and often see nothing that attracts them TO JESUS most places they live or go.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

What drives people away from Jesus?

Preachers that portray Jesus as a Cosmic Killjoy eager to beat you up if you make the slightest mistake—- kinda like a real mean cop watching you every second.

• Thumbs Up 3