Knowingtruth

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 16: 27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 

28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. 

I think, verse 27 refers to His second coming, and v.28 refers to the event that happened on the day of Pentecost. 

So, verse 28 has already occurred whereas v.27 is yet to occur.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

Remember, chapter breaks are man made. v28 goes better with Chap 17:1ff

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom....And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. (Mat 16:28)(Mat 17:1-6)

Yes, this is one such understanding of v.28

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 3/12/2018 at 11:24 PM, Knowingtruth said:

Matthew 16: 27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 

28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. 

I think, verse 27 refers to His second coming, and v.28 refers to the event that happened on the day of Pentecost. 

So, verse 28 has already occurred whereas v.27 is yet to occur.

Shalom, Knowingtruth.

Yowm is correct. One doesn't have the "Kingdom" without the presence of the King. A Kingdom takes three things to exist: a Land, a people of willing subjects, and a King. If one doesn't have all three, one does NOT have a "Kingdom." We are a people WILLING TO BE His subjects, and the Land is once again in the hands of the People of the Book, but the King Himself is still absent. All will not fall into place until He returns.

Verse 28 is talking about the VISION they were about to have in chapter 17. Some of them (namely, Peter, James and John) were about to SEE the Son of man "come in the glory (brightness) of His Father with His messengers" (Greek: aggeloi, from which we get the transliterated word "angels"). They will SEE "the Son of man coming in His Kingdom," and this they did:

Matthew 17:1-9 (KJV)

1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias (God's MESSENGERS, a.k.a. prophets) talking with him. 4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. 7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. 8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

That was the fulfillment of Matthew 16:28. It was not the actual event; it was a VISION of the actual event yet to come.

By the way, the MESSIAH is the "One ANOINTED to be the King of Israel."

Luke 1:30-33 (KJV)

30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Edited by Retrobyter
  • Loved it! 1