• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

I'm being pressured to pull the plug on my mother who had cardiac arrest on Friday. The hospital right from the start laid guilt trips on me and aren't backing off. They keep saying that the machines are doing all of her bodily functions and what kind of future is that for her. But I gave her my word that I'd keep her alive. I am torn between this promise to her and not wanting to snuff out any hope of recovery VS the immediate suffering of this unnatural life of machines. Any thoughts on this and how God Himself may view it? Also, isn't since only Friday too soon to just give up? 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Even in a coma may mama sing  a  song to the Lord.

This is one difficult decision which at the moment I have no answer at all for .

I do know this ,  don't let the hospital pressure you, nor others .    Simply pray to the LORD that if HE be willing to heal her

or if it is her time to go .    In this day and age their is no value in life , its more the govts view on who is seen as useful to society .   That is sad too.

no value for life , just value for material .   If mama believes , then she is in a better place at rest in Christ , but if her work aint done yet ,   She will be awoken. 

when a believer departs its always gain,  it is us who will miss them, but they are in a far better place .

But this is truly a decision I would hope on none .    I feel sorrow for you,  that I do.      But just remember this for sure , if mamas time aint up ,   she will wake up

if it is up  ,then she is in a far better place.  Either way we who have the LORD have His consolation and great hope .  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Any thoughts on this and how God Himself may view it? Also, isn't since only Friday too soon to just give up?

Do you believe?

"Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?”" - John 11:40

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I feel like this is an answer that you should seek from the Lord rather than us.

If I was in your shoes though, I think i'd go with keeping her alive. If it is her time, the Lord will have mercy and see her off easy. If it isn't, then she will wake up. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, turtletwo said:

I'm being pressured to pull the plug on my mother who had cardiac arrest on Friday. The hospital right from the start laid guilt trips on me and aren't backing off. They keep saying that the machines are doing all of her bodily functions and what kind of future is that for her. But I gave her my word that I'd keep her alive. I am torn between this promise to her and not wanting to snuff out any hope of recovery VS the immediate suffering of this unnatural life of machines. Any thoughts on this and how God Himself may view it? Also, isn't since only Friday too soon to just give up? 

Sorry for your dilemma. It is so very hard to endure. I too have been there, four times now, as a care giver and or responsible party. I just minutes ago got the news from my friend that his liver cancer is back. He is a bit angry that  he has gone through so much trying to gain time to do more before dying. We will "talk" a bit later today about whether he will try to do more battle or not.

But as to you and your situation; Pray first of course, read the word of God to get yourself focused. And then  do what you can to honor your mother's request as long as it is not prolonging the agony of dying. Remember too, that as long as she is a believer in  our Lord Jesus as her Lord and savior, that the worst day of her life is also the best, for she will graduate.

For your sake, since you are going to have to live with the decision being forced onto you by circumstance, I suggest that if you have doubt that you then err on the side of further treatment. Do not put yourself in the situation where you will live with regret later. Sorry for the plight you are in. May God aid you as you take charge and do the duty  left to you . Amen.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Only the Lord can fully answer your question.  I can only give you my experience but don't take my families choices for your own.

When my grandfather had a heart attack, the doctor's worked on him a long time. Eventually they put him on "life support".

This was not the kind of life support that one can recover from. He was brain dead.

In fact, his body started to decay. All of his bodily fluids started to settle his his hands and back. The machines were making his heart beat - sort of. And the machines were making his lungs go up and down. But he was gone.

After 4 days, when it was apparent to all that his body was not shutting down, but actually decaying, the doctors asked my grandmother if she would give permission to take him off. It was a hard decision even though we knew what we knew. He had not been declared dead, but he was not full of any kind of life. My grandmother tearfully said yes.

These doctors who do these things know when the time is the time. Families know. But that knowledge doesn't help ebb the trauma of making a choice.  You and yours are in our prayers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Butero
5 hours ago, turtletwo said:

This is easy.  Keep your word to your Mother.

20 minutes ago, Butero said:

This is easy.  Keep your word to your Mother.

This is not easy.  Trust me.  I've been there with a grandfather and two beloved aunts.  It's heart and mind sickening. I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with this with a mother.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest Butero
1 minute ago, Jayne said:

This is not easy.  Trust me.  I've been there with a grandfather and two beloved aunts.  It's heart and mind sickening. I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with this with a mother.

It is easy when they stated their wishes and a promise was made.  It would be hard if you didn't know their feelings.

1 minute ago, Butero said:

It is easy when they stated their wishes and a promise was made.  It would be hard if you didn't know their feelings.

Fair enough.

• Thumbs Up 1