• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Davida said:

Only because that opinion would have been totally false.

Yeah...and so was the opinion I was commenting on. So yeah.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

The good news is that many of them will mature into thoughtful adults. 

We can only hope. But unless parents step in and teach them how to really think for themselves I highly doubt it. It is scary that the generation coming up is so caught up in liberal thinking and ideologies without even knowing what it means and the ramifications this type of thinking will do to this country. 

3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

What dose that mean. Thoughtful adults who just go along with the system? Who don't speak out when they see something not working?  I am sorry but I don't get why you are calling these kid's idiots. They are trying to fix something that they see is broken. Maybe they don't know how to fix it? But the fact that it has us "old people"  talking about it may be a start. 

Yes you are right these kids are not idiots. Kids minds however are easily molded and the liberal type thinking and agendas are feeding their developing minds. It doesn't help that the parents of these kids think the exact same way. At this point it isn't about gun control. It is about controlling the minds of the youth and using them to push agendas that are either not godly or are against what this country stands up or should be standing up. 

Again the kids are not idiots they are just mimicking what their parents believe and what government is teaching them through their teachers. I just know that my kids are being taught godly principles and are being taught that we need to make sure that we think before we do something and that includes when to or when not to protest over something. 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33

1 minute ago, LadyKay said:

What dose that mean. Thoughtful adults who just go along with the system? Who don't speak out when they see something not working?  I am sorry but I don't get why you are calling these kid's idiots. They are trying to fix something that they see is broken. Maybe they don't know how to fix it? But the fact that it has us "old people"  talking about it may be a start. 

The phrase, "useful idiot" has a meaning in the common vernacular. They are people who have heard one side of a story and jump on the bandwagon like it is truth handed down from God. Kids tend to do that. I was one once. I remember how my mind worked. 

And part of it is a desire to, now that you're not a "child", glom onto some injustice and "make a difference". The desire is strong, and it is a good thing. But young people are easily manipulated. This is why, when I worked in downtown Seattle for a couple of decades, the guys running the Lyndon Larouche table on the street were always of a certain age group. They were in their "useful idiot" stage in life. But every year they had to find a new crop because last years kids matured and wised up.

Of course, there is the occasional gray ponytail. :)

It's good that kids get active, but the message they are fighting for can be ignored. As they continue to mature, they will usually find out how life really works in a lost and fallen world and adjust accordingly. Hopefully that means coming to faith in Jesus, the Christ. Then they can focus their attention where it matters.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

We can only hope. But unless parents step in and teach them how to really think for themselves I highly doubt it. It is scary that the generation coming up is so caught up in liberal thinking and ideologies without even knowing what it means and the ramifications this type of thinking will do to this country. 

Well, I do agree to an extent. It's why we have such a crop of precious snowflakes today. I've said for about a decade that public schools are a 19th century paradigm that outlived its usefulness in the early 21st century. Thanks to the intenet and the things it brings, like Khanacademy.com and online curriculum. Parents, even low IQ parents, can do a better job teaching their kids than most public schools. 

But the dirty secret is that our culture is set up to basically REQUIRE both mother and father to work outside the home and use public schools as "free day care". It's why there is a push for year 'round school with no summer break. 

True exercising of freedom and responsibility is to have kids when you can afford them and then raise them and school them at home on a single income, making the sacrifices necessary to do so. It's also the best way to EXERCISE love toward your children. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

But the dirty secret is that our culture is set up to basically REQUIRE both mother and father to work outside the home and use public schools as "free day care". It's why there is a push for year 'round school with no summer break. 

Maybe some parents do but not all parents so we need to make sure that we clarify this fact. 

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

True exercising of freedom and responsibility is to have kids when you can afford them and then raise them and school them at home on a single income, making the sacrifices necessary to do so. It's also the best way to EXERCISE love toward your children. 

Personal opinion isn't always right nor does it apply to everyone. We have kids so that we can raise up kids who will caring on our legacy of following the Lord and living for Him. We raise our kids to love the Lord and to serve Him by sharing the gospel with others. If we were to wait until we were financially ready no one would ever have kids. So the argument that people need to wait until they are financially able is a false one and one based upon selfishness. Also homeschooling isn't for everyone and it is a true calling. The best way to exercise love toward your children is to teach them godly principles, teach them who God is and share the gospel with them. The best way to exercise love toward your children isn't homeschooling or private schooling or whatever but to live a life that is godly and one that serves the Lord and Him alone. 

So both your statements are not entirely correct. Both are based upon personal opinion which again isn't for everyone nor does it apply to everyone. Is homeschooling good? Yes but not everyone is called to homeschool nor do they always have the capability to do so. 

1 minute ago, Jaydog1976 said:

Maybe some parents do but not all parents so we need to make sure that we clarify this fact. 

Having worked with a LOT of women in my field, I can tell you with utmost confidence that a lot of people don't think they use public school for day care, when the rubber meets the road, they really do. 

But you are correct that not all do. Especially the ones where only one parent works. ;)

3 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

If we were to wait until we were financially ready no one would ever have kids. So the argument that people need to wait until they are financially able is a false one and one based upon selfishness.

I partially agree that sometimes that is the case. Watch the movie "Idiocracy" for a short montage on this very thing. What I mean is that some people simply can't make ends meet just to pay rent without both partners working. THOSE couples should wait until they can survive on a single income before they have kids. But yes, we are naturally selfish and always want more stuff. That being said, I've found that with many women having a child is actually a selfish act. i.e. they want a child like a guy wants a new corvette. It is absurdly common.

6 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

Also homeschooling isn't for everyone and it is a true calling. The best way to exercise love toward your children isn't homeschooling or private schooling or whatever but to live a life that is godly and one that serves the Lord and Him alone. 

That is kind of two separate points. It used to be that homeschooling WAS for everyone except those that could afford private school. I'd really like to return to that paradigm. The reason is simple: Public schools were sort of necessary for the masses because that was the only way to educate the whole country and make it a formidable economic force. And it's application to the individual family was to do what the parents could not do. Often, at first, the parents were illiterate. And even if they weren't, they didn't have the tools necessary to really teach their kids.

Fast forward to today, and public schools are graduating kids that in some neighborhoods, can't read. So public schools have proven they can be as useless as illiterate 19th century parents. And then consider that thanks to the internet and what it brings - free sites like Khanacademy and MIT, along with many, MANY free curriculum, and I question ANY need for public schools. If you simply don't have the desire to teach your own kids, you can just send them to private school.  And make no mistake. It is not about ability. It is about DESIRE. If you can fog a mirror and post on Facebook, you can home school your own kids in the 21st century.

48 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

So the problem is two-fold really. First the problem lies with parents who do not teach their kids right from wrong or that the choices you make will result in good consequences or bad consequences. These parents teach that we need to blame the action not the person doing the action. This is why parents seem to think that their kids can do no wrong and that it is everyone else's fault if the child does something wrong and it hurts another. We live in a society that refuses to see sin as the root problem and that human nature is extremely wicked (Jeremiah 17:9). Instead right is not wrong and wrong is now right. So these kids are growing up not to think through problems and situations because they are being taught, in their own homes mind you, that if someone in authority is teaching something it must be right and not to question the though process. The issue again is that parents are not being parents and they themselves are allowing government and society dictate their beliefs verses God's Word. 

The second issue is that society puts a lot of pressure on teens and has a huge influence in how they think, act and talk. Government is a huge problem since they want to control the population and what better way to begin to do that than with minds that haven't developed enough yet to make sound, reasonable decisions. So these 'walkout' protest were nothing more than a ploy to affect the emotions of society so that the knee jerk reaction to a horrific incident continues. These kids have absolutely no idea what the second amendment is nor do they have idea of what the gun laws are yet they are protesting? The majority of them just followed mob mentality and were just happy to have a few minutes of not being in class. They could care less what the issues really are. 

I asked my kids today what the second amendment was and they didn't know. So I explained to them what it is. I also explained to them that if I put my shotgun on the table and left it there and no one touched it it would sit their indefinitely without doing anything. Then I explained that when we protest about something we make sure that we know what is going on on both sides, look and understand the laws and how they affect us and then once you know these things then make a decision on whether a protest is actually necessary.

My kids are taught that man is sinful and that they need a savior. They understand that humans make evil choices and will do evil things because the heart of man is evil. I teach them that God is God and that we are to be obedient to him. I teach them that our actions have consequences and that we need to think before we act. But sadly this is not the norm in our society. We live in a society that blames the action on everything except for what it is sin. 

Your post actually speaks to this video that looks at it from a historical political ramification perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwz_Z62e0s