• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1979

I am a proud African American man. I am proud of the African American history. I am proud of what African Americans accomplished during the Civil Rights Movement. And I am proud of what the students did at Central High School in Little Rock.

But I am not somebody who holds resentment towards anybody. I am not somebody who is expecting an apology from anyone, even though someone told me a long time ago we shouldn't have to continue to apologize for what happened in the Civil Rights Movement. I wasn't there, so I wasn't expecting an apology. But that doesn't mean that I'm not proud of its history. And if you weren't there and had nothing to do with it, you shouldn't have had to apologize at all.

I have to do a research project at school. I have to create a superhero, for example, like Wonder Woman, but it doesn't have to be Wonder Woman I'm just using that as an example. And she or he has to have multiple different super powers, and she or he either changes or stops an event in history from 1873 to 2018. And it just has to be one event, like the civil rights movement or World War II. Or it could be 9/11 or anything that happened in history.

I am doing my research project on the Civil Rights Movement. My fear is because I am African-American and race has actually become very controversial. And I am the only African-American in my history class, which I don't think matters but sometimes I am afraid that it does. I do not believe anyone is racist in my class, but I am just afraid of my project that it is going to cause some friction. I don't know.

I guess my question is, do you think it is racist that an African American loves his own history? Do you think it's racist that an African-American loves his own history above all the other historical events?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, worthlessness1979 said:
I am a proud African American man. I am proud of the African American history. I am proud of what African Americans accomplished during the Civil Rights Movement. And I am proud of what the students did at Central High School in Little Rock.

But I am not somebody who holds resentment towards anybody. I am not somebody who is expecting an apology from anyone, even though someone told me a long time ago we shouldn't have to continue to apologize for what happened in the Civil Rights Movement. I wasn't there, so I wasn't expecting an apology. But that doesn't mean that I'm not proud of its history. And if you weren't there and had nothing to do with it, you shouldn't have had to apologize at all.

I have to do a research project at school. I have to create a superhero, for example, like Wonder Woman, but it doesn't have to be Wonder Woman I'm just using that as an example. And she or he has to have multiple different super powers, and she or he either changes or stops an event in history from 1873 to 2018. And it just has to be one event, like the civil rights movement or World War II. Or it could be 9/11 or anything that happened in history.

I am doing my research project on the Civil Rights Movement. My fear is because I am African-American and race has actually become very controversial. And I am the only African-American in my history class, which I don't think matters but sometimes I am afraid that it does. I do not believe anyone is racist in my class, but I am just afraid of my project that it is going to cause some friction. I don't know.

I guess my question is, do you think it is racist that an African American loves his own history? Do you think it's racist that an African-American loves his own history above all the other historical events?

Yes, but that's ok. We're all racist, sexist, ageist, culturist, etc. The only question is, how do you act on it and how does it affect how you treat other people. 

And the point of the assignment is to bring out exactly what you're talking about. 

As a student of history, I would not change a thing. It's all part of God's plan. This means the assignment would be very difficult for me. The problem is that, to give an example - if you stopped Hitler, Stalin may have tried to take over the world with Japan. And they may have been successful. And a host of other possibilities exist as well. 

Though this world is Satan's domain and we are like the French resistance in occupied France in WWII, God IS in control. 

But again, your assignment is really a mental exercise to bring out your personal attitudes about human history and your own personal culture.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

I guess my question is, do you think it is racist that an African American loves his own history?

Do you think it's racist that an African-American loves his own history above all the other historical events?

Sorry, but it sounds like there is too much pride in all this. And where there is pride, love is not the priority.

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
    does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity,
        but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

And all this talk about races, seems too futile to me... We are all the same inside.

If we all just repent of our sins and wicked ways and surrendered to the Lord Jesus Christ we would all be in peace with one another.

"and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." - 2 Corinthians 5:15

And yes, people will say evil against us, they will act in a racist way... They will hate and offend us without any reason.

"And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me." - John 16:3

But for those who know and love the Lord Jesus, we should walk in the same as He did: in truth and love.

"For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
    “Who committed no sin,
        Nor was deceit found in His mouth”;
who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered,
    He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously;" - 1 Peter 2:21-23

God bless you in Jesus' name!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

I cannot see anything racist in enjoying history,, The thirst for knowledge of the past is a good thing.. As long as it is accurate history.. Not over emotionalized or distorted propaganda used as a weapon to attack others.... 

But beyond your question i will share some thoughts related to what you have said at the beginning of your post..

I believe that pride or shame or resentment over happenings that i did not take part in is shallow and fake pride/shame/resentment...  The Holy Bible makes it clear we shall be judged upon our own actions in life not on what our ancestors did.. So feeling pride for what ones ancestors did is wrong.. I did not do the deeds of my ancestors so why should i feel proud about them?  I should only feel good about the good things i have done or achieved in my own personal life..

Same goes for shame.. I can only feel ashamed for the things i have done wrong in my own life.. As for resentment i cannot justify being resentful towards people who never committed and unjust act upon me.. If those who did wrong and those who where wronged are all long dead and buried then i trust that God will judge those people righteously..  How can i hate a Japanese child of today because if the atrocities committed by Japanese forces in the Chinese city of Shanghai in world war two ?   It would be a great injustice on my part to do so.. The only thing i could take offense too would be if the Japanese people of today where denying that such atrocities ever took place..

In general i believe pride should be avoided as a Christian.. Reflecting upon ones good deeds with joy and happiness is not the same as being prideful.. Enjoying the outcome of charity for example can be had without being puffed up about it..

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

4 hours ago, worthlessness1979 said:

No.  It's great to revere your cultural history.  We are all Americans and we have many different origins.  Just as I would write about my Irish ancestors, you should write about yours and your heritage.  As an American, it's your birth right. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

No.  It's great to revere your cultural history.  We are all Americans and we have many different origins.  Just as I would write about my Irish ancestors, you should write about yours and your heritage.  As an American, it's your birth right. 

I talk pretty freely about my Welsh side, but I rarely bring up my Martian roots. Fortunately when I do slip with a memory here or there from my childhood days visiting my great, great, great, great grandfather, people just think I'm kidding. :) 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, worthlessness1979 said:

No, I don't think it is racist at all.  Nothing wrong with taking an interest in history, and some of the brave men and women who helped to make the world a better place.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I'm white and was born in 1986, and I'm proud of what was accomplished during the civil rights movement. When we say we're proud of something like that, it's not the sinful kind of pride, where we puff ourselves up and believe that we personally are better or are more important in some ways. It's nothing sinful to be proud of another person's hard work that accomplishes something great. I believe God is "proud" when He sees us make right choices and follow His will in various ways. Change the word to "pleased" or "happy" and the meaning is exactly the same.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Yes, but that's ok. We're all racist, sexist, ageist, culturist, etc. The only question is, how do you act on it and how does it affect how you treat other people. 

And the point of the assignment is to bring out exactly what you're talking about. 

As a student of history, I would not change a thing. It's all part of God's plan. This means the assignment would be very difficult for me. The problem is that, to give an example - if you stopped Hitler, Stalin may have tried to take over the world with Japan. And they may have been successful. And a host of other possibilities exist as well. 

Though this world is Satan's domain and we are like the French resistance in occupied France in WWII, God IS in control. 

But again, your assignment is really a mental exercise to bring out your personal attitudes about human history and your own personal culture.

Thank you very much.

14 hours ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

Sorry, but it sounds like there is too much pride in all this. And where there is pride, love is not the priority.

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
    does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity,
        but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

And all this talk about races, seems too futile to me... We are all the same inside.

If we all just repent of our sins and wicked ways and surrendered to the Lord Jesus Christ we would all be in peace with one another.

"and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." - 2 Corinthians 5:15

And yes, people will say evil against us, they will act in a racist way... They will hate and offend us without any reason.

"And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me." - John 16:3

But for those who know and love the Lord Jesus, we should walk in the same as He did: in truth and love.

"For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
    “Who committed no sin,
        Nor was deceit found in His mouth”;
who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered,
    He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously;" - 1 Peter 2:21-23

God bless you in Jesus' name!

Thank you very much for your bluntness. What you said is something that I need to think about.