• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I saw on news again that Toys R Us I think is closing 800.00 stores. Won't all these stores closing effect our economy.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

25 minutes ago, tigger398 said:

I saw on news again that Toys R Us I think is closing 800.00 stores. Won't all these stores closing effect our economy.

It would affect the company's economy. I think they are closing because we are buying our stuff somewhere else. Somewhere like Amazon...

I expect a LOT of time tested brick and mortars to close in the next decade. Frankly, I expect it to be a tidal wave. 

Heck, I even buy my auto parts at Amazon now. I just got my new brake disks for one of my cars yesterday. Much cheaper than the local auto parts store and more convenient. It just shows up.

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Amazon is even opening 'Return Centers' around the country making returns as easy as dropping off the merchandise.

Where I live there is a fulfilment center. I've wondered if they might somehow make returns a bit simpler. 

Meanwhile, Wal-Mart is playing catch-up to amazon with Jet.com. It's not as good, yet. But FaceBook didn't used to be as good as Myspace. ;)

And Costco.com seems to be upping their game as well. 

Shopping malls are a 20th century paradigm that is in its waning years. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

36 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Amazon is even opening 'Return Centers' around the country making returns as easy as dropping off the merchandise.

And it aint all they doing .     Sniff , sniff.     Let us just remember something .

Render unto ceasar that which is his and unto GOD that which is HIS .    But let none ever render unto ceasar that which is GODS alone .   

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

From what I read this comes from the company struggling to pay down nearly $8 billion in debt.  Much of it dating to a 2005 leveraged buyout. So I am not sure you can lay the blame all on Amazon for this one. 

6 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

From what I read this comes from the company struggling to pay down nearly $8 billion in debt.  Much of it dating to a 2005 leveraged buyout. So I am not sure you can lay the blame all on Amazon for this one. 

The weak ones are the ones that will go down first. 

I don't think it's amazon, per-se. Rather, it's online purchasing. As people get more and more comfortable with it, and shipping gets faster, and getting to the brick and mortar gets to be more and more of an ordeal, it will hit the most vulnerable ones first and the dominoes will fall. I think its already happening. Shopping malls are getting killed, Guitar Center is struggling, etc.

Barbers and hair stylists are probably pretty safe, though. ;)

9 minutes ago, Davida said:

People are being groomed imo.  We can see the dwindling choice happening.  Sedentary sheeple only want to shop from their iphones /laptops, it's way too hard to actually go to a store and shop.

Actually, the choice is better. At costco they have a bathroom scale. At Amazon alone they have dozens.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

12 minutes ago, Davida said:

People are being groomed imo.  We can see the dwindling choice happening.  Sedentary sheeple only want to shop from their iphones /laptops, it's way too hard to actually go to a store and shop.

How much more judgmental can this be?

Not everyone can get to a store and shop easily. I can barely stand for long without suffering extreme pain. There was a time when I lived in a town that was 90 minute drive (one way) just to get to the bank. Further than that to get to a shopping mall. I personally am hands on and prefer to look and touch merchandise before buying it, but I would not pass judgment on the motives of people who shop online. Certainly the selection is better and cheaper online.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, Davida said:

We have become so lazy, haven't we?    I mean, now there are ways to buy all of your clothes online, pet food, you can order your groceries online, you can even get cars online, now.   

Kids don't play with toys, at least not like we used when I was kid.   Today, computers and iPhones are their toys.  They don't even have Saturday morning cartoons to watch while sitting on the floor in their pajamas eating big bowls of Cap'n Crunch.  Its' really sad...