• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

981f0666c006a5ad1c671d362b708f4b.jpg

Dec. 23rd - Westcott: "My faith is still wavering. I cannot determine how much we must believe; how much, in fact, is necessarily required of a member of the Church." (Life, Vol.I, p.46).

1847 Jan., 2nd Sunday after Epiphany - Westcott: "After leaving the monastery we shaped our course to a little oratory...It is very small, with one kneeling-place; and behind a screen was a 'Pieta' the size of life (i.e. a Virgin and dead Christ)...I could not help thinking on the grandeur of the Romish Church, on her zeal even in error, on her earnestness and self-devotion, which we might, with nobler views and a purer end, strive to imitate. Had I been alone I could have knelt there for hours." (Life, Vol.I, p.81).

1848 July 6th - Hort: "One of the things, I think, which shows the falsity of the Evangelical notion of this subject (baptism), is that it is so trim and precise...no deep spiritual truths of the Reason are thus logically harmonious and systematic...the pure Romish view seems to me nearer, and more likely to lead to, the truth than the Evangelical...the fanaticism of the bibliolaters, among whom reading so many 'chapters' seems exactly to correspond to the Romish superstition of telling so many dozen beads on a rosary...still we dare not forsake the Sacraments, or God will forsake us...I am inclined to think that no such state as 'Eden' (I mean the popular notion) ever existed, and that Adam's fall in no degree differed from the fall of each of his descendants" (Life, Vol.I, pp.76-78).

1860 Apr. 3rd - Hort: "But the book which has most engaged me is Darwin. Whatever may be thought of it, it is a book that one is proud to be contemporary with. I must work out and examine the argument in more detail, but at present my feeling is strong that the theory is unanswerable." (Life, Vol.I, p.416).

1865 Sept. 27th - Westcott: "I have been trying to recall my impressions of La Salette (a marian shrine). I wish I could see to what forgotten truth Mariolatry bears witness; and how we can practically set forth the teaching of the miracles".

Nov. 17th - Westcott: "As far as I could judge, the 'idea' of La Salette was that of God revealing Himself now, and not in one form but in many." (Life, Vol.I. pp.251,252).

Oct. 17th - Hort: "I have been persuaded for many years that Mary-worship and 'Jesus'-worship have very much in common in their causes and their results." (Life, Vol.II, p.50).

1867 Oct. 17th - Hort: "I wish we were more agreed on the doctrinal part; but you know I am a staunch sacerdotalist, and there is not much profit in arguing about first principles." (Life, Vol.II, p.86).

1890 Mar. 4th - Westcott: "No one now, I suppose, holds that the first three chapters of Genesis, for example, give a literal history - I could never understand how any one reading them with open eyes could think they did - yet they disclose to us a Gospel. So it is probably elsewhere."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Fortunately for modern readers, there are modern versions that both uphold godly doctrine and come straight from Greek and Hebrew to English, without bias.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

Perhaps there are many men that have been exalted by 'moderns' that really should be dethroned. So many were tortured and burnt and had horrible lives due to Calvin, Rome and many others, that to view their works and expound them from a pulpit seems to be casting swine before pearls...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.36
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

9 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Perhaps there are many men that have been exalted by 'moderns' that really should be dethroned. So many were tortured and burnt and had horrible lives due to Calvin, Rome and many others, that to view their works and expound them from a pulpit seems to be casting swine before pearls...

After reading what hort and Prescott had to say,   no wonder they greek is so ,   what is the word,   dark.

I mean the real and true men of God who actually preached the gospel and were tortured for their work of getting the bible written in english

and were killed or in prison.   how come THEIR greek,   just aint as good as these so called THINKERS who keep DOUBTING the bible of their day and time .  HMMMM

Yeah.     I don't need THIS MODERN greek to understand THE BIBLE of their days and time .     And how todays greek seems to omit certain parts

HMMMM.

You be blessed Justin.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Fortunately for modern readers, there are modern versions that both uphold godly doctrine and come straight from Greek and Hebrew to English, without bias.

Well by all means list some .  

19 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Well by all means list some .  

Nearly all of them.

1 minute ago, Billiards Ball said:

Nearly all of them.

well since you said nearly all of them  which ones you think are no good . 

Anything from The Watchtower or etc. Although, praise Jesus, cultists can get saved reading even their foul, deliberately mussed Bibles.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Wow!  I had never heard these quotes before and I don't mean to be ugly, but when I saw the grammatical mistake on the meme - I just had to think to myself, "What else is the maker of this meme wrong about?  Possibly the quote itself?"

So I fact checked it.  Here is the original quote from Westcott's personal journal when he was 22 years old.  He had just read James chapter 1.

"11th August. - James 1:2 I do not recollect noticing the second verse ever before in the way I have. How sincerely do I wish that I could "rejoice in temptation." I never read an account of a miracle but I seem instinctively to feel its improbability, and discover some want of evidence in the account of it. The day is extremely warm."

You see, Westcott isn't denying miracles, but mourning at his own weakness.  He isn't talking about miracles, but faith - and he believes his is weak.  He's right.  He is 22.  But when I was 22, I was NOT pondering my own spiritual weaknesses.  I was acting a fool.  So you see, this meme is twisting the word of this young man for an agenda that is not truthful.  In fact, Westcott wrote a book about the gospel miracles.  He believed them to be true.  He always did.

I'm looking now for Hort quote in it's original context.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I'm looking now for Hort quote in it's original context.

Wow!  That didn't take long.

Here are the original words from Hort.

#1  He is confounded by why people are interested in Mary-worship and calls it idolatory.  "I am very far from pretending to understand completely the ever renewed vitality of Mariolatry."

#2  He believes those who worship Mary and those who worship Jesus have a commonality in why they do what they do even though Mary worship is wrong.  "I have been persuaded for many years that Mary-worship and ‘Jesus’-worship have very much in common in their causes and their results. Perhaps the whole question may be said to be involved in the true idea of mediation, which is almost universally corrupted in one or both of two opposite directions. On the one hand we speak and think as if there were no real bringing near, such as the N.T. tells of, but only an interposition between two permanently distant objects..."

He is saying that both Mary-worshippers and Jesus-worshippers are in a belief of a mediator.  He doesn't say they are the same in truth or value.