• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  596
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1969

How Do I Know I Am Saved?

http://graceambassadors.com/salvation/how-do-i-know-i-am-saved

By Justin Johnson

Let’s be honest. If you do not know that you are saved it is because you are not.

I am not trying to be cruel or mean, but simply honest. It would be the worst kind of negligence if I encouraged you to believe you were saved if actually you were not.

Unsaved people roam the earth thinking they are right with God, but are not. This reality may be driving your honest question about how to know if you are saved. This question is the greatest question one could ask, because the answer is understanding the gospel that saves.

Many people remain unconvinced about their own salvation because of a fear they have left something undone, did not say something right, are not worthy enough, or have not done the right thing to be accepted by God.

Perhaps this is you! You want to do right, and want to be saved, but do not know for certain how to know. What you need to know is the gospel of Christ.

Do You Know the Gospel?

At this point you may object because you claim to already know the gospel. But your question betrays you. The gospel that saves provides the knowledge of salvation. If you do not know you are saved, then you do not know the gospel that saves.

If you claim to know the gospel and still do not know if you are saved you have been told the wrong gospel. Perhaps you have been told salvation comes by…

– Believing Jesus is the Son of God.

– Loving the Lord.

– Following Jesus.

– Accepting Jesus.

– Being born again.

– Keeping the commandments.

– Loving your neighbor.

– Praying the sinner’s prayer.

– Repentance and confessing your sins.

– Confessing the Lord with your mouth.

– Asking Jesus to come into your heart.

– Making him Lord of your life.

– Maintaining a personal relationship with Jesus.

– Naming the name of Christ.

– Being filled with the Holy Spirit; or feeling his presence?

If so, you were told wrong. Your doubts testify to the inadequacy of any of these “gospels” to bring the knowledge of salvation. Have you loved the Lord enough? Don’t the devils also believe Jesus is the Son of God (Jam 2:19)? How do you know Jesus accepted your invitation into your heart? Is salvation really by uttering a name?

Though what you heard may have had an element of Biblical truth in it, you are still left wondering how you know you are saved even after knowing or believing these “gospels”. This is because they do not describe the gospel that saves.

Proof of Salvation

The Bible gives proof to every saved person to know they are saved: the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation (Rom 1:16).

If we test your proof of salvation against the gospel of Christ, we can know if you are saved or not. (I do not pretend to be the judge of your soul, but using God’s word to evaluate your salvation is prudent.)

So, what is the proof of your salvation?

If you say you have none, or that no one can know for certain, then you do not have salvation.

If you say proof is in the good way you live your life, then you have not heard the truth.

If you say proof is found in the promises of God to Israel, then you are taking what is not yours. God made promises to the nation of Israel, but there were many people in Israel who died in their sins at

God’s hand of judgment and not salvation. How do you know you are part of the promises?

If you say proof is in what you have done or not done, said or not said, then you are not saved.

Without proof on what basis can you know that you are saved? There is none! Do you see now that you are not saved at all, and rather than needing to be convinced by Scripture that you are, you need to have the power of God unto salvation open your eyes to the truth of the gospel?

What is the Gospel that Saves

Now the question is seen in a new light. It is no longer the question of a saved person lacking confidence. It is the cry of an unsaved person lacking proof of salvation.

Sinners cannot save themselves or make themselves worthy enough for God to save them. Salvation is not for the righteous or the good, but for the unrighteous and the ungodly. The truth is that there is none righteous, and all have fallen short of God’s glorious standard.

Salvation of sinners is accomplished through the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ. God manifest in the flesh died innocently in the place of sinners shedding his blood as a sacrifice for sins. He rose from the dead three days later defeating the power of death and offering his finished work as the means of salvation to all men.

Salvation is not proven by our own efforts, but in the righteousness of God in Christ when he died for our sins, rose from the dead, and offers salvation freely to sinners who need it. Proof of salvation is found in the gospel of Christ. God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself by the cross.

“To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” – Romans 3:25

We will be saved “if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.” – Romans 4:24-25

This is the gospel of Christ; it is the preaching of the cross. Christ is God, and he did everything necessary to save men through his death and resurrection. His work is the proof of salvation.

If his work is the proof of your salvation, then you have peace with God and eternal life. You are no longer trying to provide proof. God has provided it by his grace in Christ.

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:” – Romans 5:1

“…the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” – Romans 6:23

How Do I Know?

Stop trusting your life, your prayers, your works, your good deeds, your feelings, trust the finished work of Christ and know that you are saved.

I know that I am saved because Christ died for my sins, rose from the dead, and offers salvation freely to all who believe in him. I’ve seen him save other people who believe the gospel of Christ. He will save you, when you believe it (Eph 1:13; Rom 3:22).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  262
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, patrick jane said:

I do agree but only because I have also studied Reformed Theology. You're right that most people think they made a free will choice to believe and it's partly true. We are called. 

That's right. Many are called, few are chosen. Even in my own salvation, I know I denied God and rejected Him on my own, but when He let me know He chose me, He also gave me the desire to choose Him. You also find Paul the Apostle going off to do things against God in scripture, and in middle of that the Lord appeared to Him and asked why He was persecuting Him, and it was like right then Paul became the Lord's. Was that Paul choosing God? No. The Lord came to Paul, and after the Lord spoke to Paul, He believed. Paul's desire just seconds or a minute before that was to kill Christians. Do you think someones desires would change so drastically that fast? Well, I would if it was the Lord changing their hearts and giving them the desire to be the opposite of what they have been. The Lord flipped Paul like a coin. Paul was chosen to do the will of God, Paul wasn't seeking the Lord on His own. Same with me, but I wouldn't say it happened the exact same way physically. I just know if it was my choice to be saved, my desires would always reject Him, but the Lord changes that on His own, and now I am saved and desire the Lord because of Him changing my desires and giving me faith to believe.

Edited by Xethea
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  27

The Gospel According to Paul

http://graceambassadors.com/midacts/the-gospel-according-to-paul

By Justin Johnson

The Old Testament books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are commonly referred to as the Four Gospels. Many Bibles even have in the titles of these books “The Gospel According to…” Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.

All four of them contain the same gospel: the gospel of the kingdom. The gospel of the kingdom declared the fulfillment of the prophetic kingdom to the nation Israel.

What they do not contain is the gospel of the cross for salvation. Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection do not even occur until the final chapters of the books.

Jesus in his earthly ministry confirmed the kingdom promises to the circumcision (Israel):

“Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:” – Romans 15:8

Each of the four books start with the earthly ministry of Jesus to the circumcision and ends with his death and resurrection. This outlines the ministry and message of Peter, John, and the Twelve according to prophecies of Christ.

Their ministries begin with the prophecies and end with their fulfillment in Christ.

However, there is a fifth gospel. Paul’s gospel was not copied from Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. It was personally revealed by the Lord (Gal 1:11-12).

As such, Paul’s gospel as told in 1 Corinthians 15 is different than the four traditional Gospels. It includes the revelation of the mystery of Christ.

A New Beginning

Paul does not begin with Jesus’ ministry to the circumcision as do Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. He says elsewhere that he does not know Christ after the flesh:

“…though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.” – 2 Corinthians 5:16

Instead, the first thing in Paul’s gospel is the last thing in the four gospels: the death and resurrection of Christ.

“…I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures: And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures;” – 1 Corinthians 15:3

This seems right as the foundation of Paul’s gospel of the grace of God was not the kingdom promises to a circumcised people, but the cross itself (1 Cor 1:18, 2:2, 3:10). The very first point of Paul’s gospel is neither the genealogy of Jesus nor Jesus’ relationship to prophecy, but his death for our sins.

A New Ending

Also different is how Paul’s gospel ends in 1 Corinthians 15:1-10.

The four so-called Gospels do not progress beyond the appearance of the resurrection Jesus to the Twelve apostles. However, Paul is nowhere to be found in the four Gospels. He is not only absent but an unbeliever and an enemy of the gospel of the kingdom:

“And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem;…” – Acts 8:1

Paul’s gospel goes beyond the resurrection of Christ to his kingdom remnant. Paul explains the revelation of the mystery of Christ to himself “last of all”.

“And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.” – 1 Corinthians 15:8

Born out of the due time of prophecy, Paul was given salvation by the Lord himself and was chosen as the dispenser of the gospel of the grace of God:

“If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:” – Eph 3:2

“… a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.” – 1 Corinthians 9:17

The Mystery Gospel

It is popular to pursue the gospel narratives found in Matthew-John as the key to understanding the Bible.

While there are doctrinal gems and spiritual truths in these books, we must remember Paul’s gospel in order to understand all things (even those things beyond the resurrection of Jesus).

“Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. “ – 2 Tim 2:7

The gospel Christ gave to Paul is missing from Matthew-John, and so is called a mystery gospel (Rom 16:25, Eph 6:19).

Instead of trying to pattern ourselves after the Lord’s earthly ministry passed on to his twelve apostles to Israel, we should start with Christ crucified and pattern our ministry after the heavenly message of the apostle of the Gentiles (Rom 11:13).

When our focus is on the gospel God gave to Paul then we will be in position to grow in the grace of God as did Paul, according to his gospel:

“But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.” – 1 Corinthians 15:10

Edited by patrick jane

Abel’s Blood, Christ’s Blood

By Justin Johnson

Abel was a prophet killed by his religious brother.

Abel’s brother, Cain, was a religious man who thought man should be accepted by birthright, works, and good intentions. God calls the works of self-righteous men evil (1 John 3:12).

Self-righteousness cannot stand God’s righteousness. Cain ignored God’s appeals and killed Abel.

Abel’s blood spoke from the ground (Gen 4:10, Heb 11:4).

“I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?” – Rev 6:9-10

Abel’s blood cried for justice and retribution, judgment and vengeance, and cried “how long?” It was nearly 1600 years before God executed judgment upon that wicked world in a flood.

Abel’s blood was a testimony to the wickedness of Cain and all those who followed his way.

Blood on Their Hands

The way of Cain persisted in evil religious men. It was identified in the Pharisees and scribes who killed the Lord as Cain killed Abel (Luke 11:50-51).
The Lord said the blood of Abel would be required of those wicked men since they chose the way of Cain.

“Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.” – Matt 27:25

“But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;” – Acts 3:14

Abel’s blood was again testifying of the wickedness of these religious men. But for those who had ears to hear the blood of Christ spoke of better things according to Israel’s covenants (Matt 26:28; Heb 12:24).

Namely, his blood spoke of a better covenant and the sending of the Holy Ghost according to the covenant (Heb 9:17-18; Heb 10:15-16).

For all this, Israel still followed the way of Cain and resisted the Holy Ghost and resorted to murdering Stephen rather than repent of their ungodliness.

“Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:” – Acts 7:52

The blood of prophets since Abel has cried out against injustice and for judgment, “how long?”

How could a righteous God withhold judgment against such ungodliness any longer? How could God show mercy to sinners, and grace to the depraved?

It was not for the prophets to know these times of hidden things (Acts 1:7).

Power in the Blood

Christ first revealed these mysteries to a man who had the blood of Abel, Christ, and Stephen on his hands (Acts 8:1).

Though he resisted the power of the Holy Ghost, the Lord Jesus Christ sent Paul to preach the power of the shed blood of Christ as the gospel of salvation (1 Cor 1:17-18; Eph 2:13).

He gave to Paul a special dispensation whereby all who trust the shed blood of Jesus Christ can be saved by grace without the works (1 Cor 9:17; Eph 2-3).

God has withheld judgment for nearly two thousand years while he offers salvation freely through faith in his blood (Rom3:25).

The blood shed at the hands of men following the way of Cain, is now presented as the means for saving the same wicked world from sin.

“And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.” – Col 1:20

What grace!

Abel’s blood and all the prophets cried out to hasten justice against ungodliness. The mystery of Christ’s blood allows God to patiently preach salvation to all for as long as God will suffer it for Christ’s sake.

The blood of Abel cries for justice, but now the blood of Christ is preached for grace and peace.

There will be a day when God will answer the cries of Abel’s innocent blood according to the prophets (Rom 12:19, Isa 26:21).

But now God is offering salvation to sinners through the preaching of the blood of Christ according to the mystery.

Pursuing Marriage in Christ

By Justin Johnson

God intended marriage to be good. Too many marriages end up in tragedy.

When seeking marriage, how do you make sure your relationship starts on the right foot?

When trying to win someone’s heart, it is natural to exert maximum effort to put your best foot forward. This ends up being the wrong foot.

To become the object of another’s affections, you conform to what they desire, which may be different than what you truly are.

If they saw how you really were, you fear, they might become disinterested and the hope of love destroyed.

This is why one of the most common problems in marriage relationships is expecting your spouse to be something they are not.

When hearts have been won and marriage occurs, both put less effort on their best foot and the other shoe drops. To keep the shoe from dropping some marriages trudge along attempting to maintain maximum effort to be someone they are not.

This rarely ends well.

Therefore, the usual marriage advice is to find someone who loves you for who you really are. This way there are no false expectations and less effort is required. This can be called putting your worst foot forward.

Leading with your worst foot is not good either.

The problem with this advice is that the Bible tells us that we are all sinners, and no one wants a sinner for a spouse. This is true no matter how much they claim to love you just as you are.

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8

God already knows the worst about us. God has already commended his love toward us. God loves his Son, and wants us to be conformed to His image. Moreover, God provides the grace and power for this to occur through faith.

Sinners can become saints in Christ by grace through faith.

The good news for marriage is that it was never intended to be only for perfect people (or perfect matches). There is no such thing. Neither is it merely where two sinners maintain close proximity without harming each other.

Marriage is for two people to learn to love how God loves. Loving first, sacrificially, completely, by grace, in Christ, and in the face of a sinner.

You don’t have to be someone you are not for marriage to work. Nor are you resigned to be the sinner that you were. You must only be who you are in Christ.

This is why the only condition given to Christians on whom they marry is “in the Lord” (1 Cor 7:39). This way there are no false expectations: sin will be present; but there is also hope: you know the love of Christ.

You are the hands and feet of Christ. Put that foot forward, and marriage success will be only as distant as you in Christ.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Faith Without Works Dead?

The Bible defines faith as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). It is undeniable that faith without substance is no faith at all, but merely a false hope.

However, those who do not rightly divide the Scripture often are plagued with a misunderstanding of the separate faiths that have been offered throughout dispensations. It is a misconception to think that the substance of faith remains the same for every person and group in the Bible.

The Just Shall Live by Faith

Scripture records that the just in every age shall live by faith, and yet the substance or content of that faith changes as it is revealed.

“For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.” – Romans 1:17

It is an unchangeable principle of God that the righteous, in any age, must live by faith, and operate according to the obedience of that faith (Acts 6:7Romans 1:5).

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” – Hebrews 11:6

However, we must recognize the dispensational changes in the substance of that faith as it is revealed from God. Noah had faith in a flood and salvation by an ark. Moses had faith in God who would deliver them from Egypt, and salvation from enemy bondage.

The Hope of Israel

It is clearly stated in the opening verse of James, that he writes to the ‘twelve tribes’ and ‘my brethren’, who were Israelites, scattered by the persecution of unbelieving Israel.

Writing to the twelve tribes, James writes concerning the faith and hope of Israel during the Pentecostal period. It is during this time that the gospel of the kingdom was preached by Peter who proclaimed the ‘last days’ before Christ’s return (Acts 2:16-17,3:19-21).

Instead of having a hope based upon the preaching of the cross, Israel’s hope was in the salvation offered by the coming Holy One and promised kingdom (Luke 1:68-75). It was this information that Peter presented for acceptance by faith.

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.” – Acts 2:36

Along with believing Jesus to be the Holy One, Peter called upon Israel to repent and perform the works necessary to exhibit their repentance according to what Jesus had taught.

“For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 5:20

A Faith That Produces Works

In order to enter the kingdom, Jesus taught that Israel must be righteous. In fact, they must be perfect ‘even as your Father in heaven is perfect’ (Matthew 5:48).

If a believer was to have faith in the coming kingdom with Jesus as its Messiah, then they would of necessity be obliged to perform the works of the law as obedience to that faith.

The substance of the faith was entering the coming kingdom with Jesus as Messiah. The obedience to that faith would naturally be performing works required to enter the kingdom, and be admitted into Jesus’ kingdom.

“He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” – John 14:21

When faith was obeyed by these Jewish believers, they would exhibit the works required by their faith. The substance of their faith was obedience to the law, even the new covenant, as Jesus, the Holy One, both taught and exemplified (Matthew 5:208:4, 23:2-3).

A Dead Faith

If the substance of your faith was the coming kingdom, which required a righteous performance of works for admission, then you could evaluate a person’s faith by their obedience to perform works.

“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” – James 2:20

The faith of these Jewish believers at Pentecost demanded the obedience of works. Otherwise, the substance of their faith was not alive – it was dead!

Only someone who did not have faith of a coming kingdom, or did not want to enter the coming kingdom would deny necessary works.

James reasons that a man reaches justification, which is the proof of salvation, through the necessary works.

“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.” – James 2:24

Another Hope, Another Faith

The just will live by faith. Until the revelation of the mystery, the substance of faith always included God’s involvement with the nation Israel, its promised kingdom, and its associated covenants.

It was not until Paul that salvation was offered by grace through faith alone apart from any special nation, kingdom requirements, or covenant stipulations (Romans 4:5Eph 2:8-9Romans 11:6Eph 2:12).

Paul offered a hope not based upon a promised earthly kingdom of peace and righteous rule, but a hope of salvation found within the preaching of the cross (Eph 2:7Romans 5:2-4).

The saving faith we are taught includes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ who was delivered for our offences and raised again for our free justification (Romans 4:25).

We are given free justification by grace apart from any meritorious work of our own (Romans 3:24).

Contained in this further revelation which was not revealed to Peter, James, or John prior to Paul was that our faith is not in a covenantal law, which required performance, but in the death of Jesus Christ for our sins.

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;” – Romans 3:21

The Obedience of Faith

The substance of our faith is the atoning work of Christ on the cross in our place (Galatians 2:16Romans 3:21-26).

Unique to this dispensation of emphatic grace, the obedience to this faith requires no works at all!

“But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” – Romans 4:5

Instead of evaluating our faith based upon performance, our faith is evaluated based on Christ’s performance in our place, which was sufficient for every man! Praise God!

It was when we were weak, and given up by God as enemies, Christ died for us:

“For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.” – Romans 5:6

Dead Faith in the Dispensation of Grace

Citing James 2:14-26, teachers seek to justify a performance-based evaluation of ‘true’ faith today in the dispensation of grace. Yet, unknowingly, they rob people of the benefits the righteousness of God which only comes freely by faith in Christ (Romans 3:22-24,5:2).

In order for a faith to be dead in this dispensation, the substance of their faith must be inactive. That is, if our faith is in Jesus Christ’s work on the cross, then a dead faith would be like preaching a dead Jesus who could not perform that which he promised (Romans 4:19-21).

Contrariwise, any person who has faith in the cross of Christ has the full assurance of salvation because God is able to perform that which we could not – a proper atonement of our sins.

Our faith can only be annulled or dead if the work of Christ was annulled or insufficient. Impossible!

Do not be robbed of the glorious grace of God by a lack of rightly dividing the Scriptures. It is the precious truth of the efficacious atoning blood of Jesus that is the focus and climax of the gospel!

Whereas James taught a faith that required works in order to be ‘perfect’, we are given a perfect position by our faith in Christ alone! Amen and Amen. (2 Cor 5:21Phil 3:12)

By Faith and Through Faith

By Justin Johnson

“Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.” – Romans 3:30

Inevitably, discussing this verse involves a gauntlet of word games and definitions. Why is it by for the circumcision and through for the uncircumcision? Everyone knows there is a difference, but what exactly is it? Let’s give it a go.

“But before faith came, we were kept under the law…” – Gal 3:23

Under the law dispensation, righteousness came through obedience to Israel’s covenants.

“For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.” – Romans 10:5

Yet, even Israel, who was instructed by God from the law, could not keep the law. Both Jew and Gentile were under sin.

“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one…” – Romans 3:10

The law could not justify:

“Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight:…” – Romans 3:20

Not even Israel could be justified by the law. It was through the requirements of the covenant that Jesus died as a propitiation for the “remission of sins that are past”, those sins committed under the law dispensation (Rom 3:25).

All Men Justified By Faith

Justification always requires faith. For the circumcision, justification was by faith. The covenant promised kingdoms and required works. Faith would obey God. Through obedience to the covenants Israel’s faith was made perfect.

“Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?” – James 2:22

“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.” – James 2:24

They were justified by faith and works through their covenants with God.

Through Faith

The law was an integral part of God’s prophetic purpose with Israel (Rom 3:1-2). The law required obedience. However, the circumcision was truly justified by faith when they failed to obey. Faith would offer a sacrifice through the covenant.

The uncircumcision had been rejected by God already. They were strangers of the covenants (Eph 2:10). There was no pretense that they would be justified through a covenant. The sinners of the Gentiles could only hope to be justified through faith in the gospel of the grace of God.

The uncircumcision was justified by faith, but being strangers of the covenants it was also through faith in the finished work of Christ (Rom 5:1, Eph 2:8).

“Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.” – Romans 3:30

Faith Without the Law

The law, which was the knowledge of sin, taught Israel that they needed faith in God (Rom 3:19-20). It was not until Paul that righteousness without the law was manifested and faith stood alone for justification.

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;” – Romans 3:21

Today, it has been revealed that all are under sin. Justification comes by faith in God’s instructions, but also through faith alone in Christ’s finished work. No more works are needed, no covenant is needed, justification is offered today by faith and through faith without works.

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9

Israel’s faith did not void the law. Our faith is without the law.

A Strange Teaching on the New Testament

By Justin Johnson

It was brought to my attention this week that the brethren at the Berean Bible Society have once again1 posted their firm convictions about the Body of Christ being under the New Covenant.

“It is our firm conviction that the Body of Christ falls under the umbrella of the New Covenant.” – Paul M. Sadler, What We Believe

Would not this vague ‘umbrella’ doctrine lower our heavenly position in Christ to that of an earthly covenant, and diminish the simplicity that is in Christ by blending Prophecy and Mystery?

John Nelson Darby thought it would when he wrote his Synposis of the Bible over one hundred years ago:

“The first covenant was made with Israel; the second must be so likewise, according to the prophecy of Jeremiah… Although there is no difficulty here, it is important to have light with regard to these two covenants, because some have very vague ideas on this point, and many souls, putting themselves under covenants — that is, in relationship with God under conditions in which He has not placed them — lose their simplicity, and do not hold fast grace and the fulness of the work of Christ, and the position He has acquired for them in heaven.” – J.N. Darby, Synoposis of the Bible, Hebrews 8

The mystery of Christ teaches that the position of the new creature, the Body of Christ, does not depend upon a promised covenant, but upon the very gospel of the grace of God first delivered to the apostle Paul to us (Col 1:20-28). And as others have said before, the gospel is not a covenant.

“Strictly speaking the gospel, the proclamation of the salvation of God, is not a covenant.” – Arno Gaebelein, Annotated Commentary

“The gospel is not a covenant, but the revelation of the salvation of God.” – J.N. Darby, Synposis of the Bible

Both of these dispensational forefathers knew that the gospel given to Paul that creates the Body of Christ was not the teaching of the New Covenant which was made with Israel.

Since unashamed workmen separate prophecy from mystery we must separate the Body of Christ from Israel’s New Covenant.

What is the New Covenant

The New Covenant was part of God’s prophesied purpose to make a peculiar people on the earth to bless all nations (Gentiles) (Exo 19:5-6).

The New Covenant would accomplish for Israel what the Old could not, that is, provide Israel the ability to serve God in righteousness on the earth. It provided for the forgiveness of Israel’s sins and the spiritual ability to walk in God’s statutes (Jer 31:31-34Eze 36:27).

In short, it would provide salvation to Israel, and through them to the world. The New Covenant would allow Israel to fulfill its God given destiny to have dominion over all the earth as God’s peculiar people (Deut 14:226:18).

The fulfillment of the New Covenant is still future when Israel receives its kingdom (Acts 3:19-21Heb 8:131 Pet 1:13). How, then, can the Body of Christ be under it who were not recipients of its promises, and who are not on earth at the time of its fulfillment?

None of these promises were given to Gentiles, and what a strange thing it would be to place the Body of Christ, which possesses a calling higher than anything prophesied to Israel, under an earthly covenant (Eph 2:63:18).

Partaking of Spiritual Things

“Paul clearly teaches in Romans that we are partakers of Israel’s spiritual blessings (Rom. 15:27 cf. Eph. 1:3-14). There is absolutely no possibility that this could refer to anything other than the New Covenant.” – Paul M. Sadler, What We Believe

It is true that the Gentiles in Romans 15:27 were partakers of the spiritual things of the remnant of Israel. Yet, nothing in Paul’s epistles necessitates Gentiles be under any of Israel’s covenants of promise to receive these spiritual blessings.

More likely the spiritual things referred to in Romans 15:27 are the ones mentioned in Romans 11:11.

“I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.” – Romans 11:11

At one time, salvation was “of the Jews” (John 4:22), but now, Paul says, it is come to the Gentiles. What a reversal! How could salvation come to Gentiles without any covenants and without Israel’s salvation (New Covenant)? Only through the mystery of Christ, where Gentiles no longer go through Israel (or its covenants) to receive blessing, but access God freely through Christ by His grace.

While it is true that the New Covenant promised salvation to Israel, it was not salvation through Paul’s mystery gospel. The salvation of Israel was tied up in covenants, promises, laws, and prophecy. Paul’s gospel of salvation was not a covenant.

Gentiles did not need a covenant to receive by grace the few blessings listed in Jeremiah 31 or any of the numerous spiritual blessings bestowed uniquely upon the Body of Christ not promised to Israel.

Not one Israelite in time past ever experienced all the spiritual blessings of the mystery of Christ since they were hid in God (Eph 3:8-10).

The Blood of the New Testament

“Who could fail to see that Paul charges us to remember the blood of this covenant until the Lord comes…” – Paul M. Sadler, What We Believe

Indeed, Paul emphasizes that every member of the Body of Christ is a partaker of the blood of Christ in a special communion, but not partakers of the New Covenant:

“The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?” – 1 Cor 10:16

Just as the gospel is not a covenant, the communion of the blood of Christ is not a covenant. That same blood of Christ shed for the New Testament is what is now preached by Paul as the means of redemption for all men without a covenant:

“In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;” – Ephesians 1:7

The blood of Christ is what reconciled all things to God, not just the covenanted earthly things, but also heaven, which is the topic of the mystery of Christ:

“And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.” – Col 1:20

The ‘Umbrella’ of Christ

Why would we need to be under the New Covenant umbrella when we have access to God directly through Christ by his grace and not through a promised covenant (Rom 5:2Eph 2:18)?

Indeed we share in common with Israel the need for the blood of Christ for salvation. Israel needs the blood for their promised New Covenant salvation, while the Body of Christ receives the benefits of his blood freely by grace apart from any covenant (1 Cor 2:7-12).

We are “made nigh” not by a covenant, but by the blood of Christ (Eph 2:13). As a result a new man is created that possesses “all spiritual blessings”, will inhabit heavenly places, and ministers the manifold wisdom of God (Eph 3:10-12).

In light of the the numerous spiritual blessings given freely to the Body of Christ, it would seem there is not enough room under a New Covenant umbrella to hold all of the unsearchable riches of Christ.

“If note is taken of the four blessings which this covenant promises, it will be seen that these—and vastly more—are the present possession of those who comprise the Church.” – Lewis Sperry Chafer, Systematic Theology, Chapter XII

Rather than the umbrella being the New Covenant, the umbrella that contains us all is Christ, at once, both the head of the Body of Christ, and the mediator of a better testament for Israel.

The preeminent Christ is the connection between the two programs of God, not a mere covenant given to Israel. The earthly purpose will be fulfilled by Christ through his promised covenant, and the heavenly purpose is accomplished by Christ in a mystery on the cross.

“That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:” – Eph 1:10

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
1 Their article “What We Believe” has been sent out eight times in the past eight years in their Two Minutes With the Bible email. My response was first published in 2012.

• 4 weeks later...

No More Strangers and Foreigners

By Justin Johnson

Ephesians 2:12 says Gentiles were “aliens” and “strangers” from Israel and the covenants of promise. Seven verses later Gentiles are “no more strangers and foreigners”.

“Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;” – Eph 2:19

Something happened in those seven verses that granted uncircumcised Gentiles benefits they did not have before.

What happened? What are the benefits?

The answers are in the context.

If we ignore the verses between Eph 2:12 and Eph 2:19, we could easily jump to the wrong conclusion that the church is Israel now and the true recipients of Israel’s covenants of promise.

In Time Past

Between Eph 2:12 and Eph 2:19 there is a dispensational change. That is to say Paul explains a change in God’s revelation concerning how he relates to us and we to him.

In Ephesians 2:12 Paul is explaining the way God related to the world in “time past” as seen in the previous verse.

“Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;” – Ephesians 2:11

In time past God purposed to work through Israel to bless the nations. Israel was the channel of blessing from God to the world. No one had closer access to God than did a Jew.

Jews were separated from Gentiles by their God given covenants, circumcision, and laws.

In time past, Gentiles had no access to God or his blessings except through Israel and their covenants. Gentiles had no hope without Israel, the created nation of priests.

But now, it is different.

A Dispensational Change

“But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.” – Eph 2:13

In a single verse Paul leaps a dispensational boundary from how God operated in time past, to describing how God operates now.

Now, Gentiles have the privilege of being “in Christ Jesus” by the blood of Christ offered to all, both those that were far off in time past, and those that were nigh in time past (Eph 2:17).

No longer do Gentiles need to go to Israel or be partakers of their covenants of promise to receive hope and blessings from God.

Eph 2:13 describes their privilege of gaining access to God and his blessings by means of the blood of Christ.

Instead of requiring Israel to offer sacrifices to make peace with God, Gentiles could now glory that Christ Jesus is our peace (Eph 2:14).

The same Christ according to the mystery has broken down what separated the Jew and Gentile in time past, and which, at that time, gave Israel special access to God and salvation.

Now, all have free access to God through Jesus Christ by the preaching of the cross.

A New Creature

Paul continues to explain the change in Eph 2:15-16. Whereas in time past there were two peoples (Jew and Gentiles), there is now only one man.

Moreover, the one man is a new man, being neither Jew nor Gentile.

“For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.” – Gal 6:15

Both Jew and Gentile are reconciled to God equally in one body by the cross (Eph 2:16).

In time past, the house of God was the house of Israel. But now, the house of God is a body of believers in Christ.

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” – 1 Cor 3:16

Gentiles do not need to go through Israel to be reconciled. They now have access in the “one body” of Christ.

Gentiles do not need to partake in Israel’s covenants of promise to have peace with God. They can now be saved freely by the cross (Eph 2:8-9).

Access Through Christ

Eph 2:18 explains the benefit and privilege that is now accessible to Gentiles.

In time past it would’ve been a privilege to be part of Israel, and heir to Israel’s covenants, because it would grant exclusive access to God and his blessings.

But now, access to the Father is offered freely to all men through Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery.

“For through [Christ] we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.” – Eph 2:18

Men no longer need to be citizens of Israel to have access to God. We need to be members of the one body of Christ, the new creature.

Neither do men need to be heirs of Israel’s covenants to receive blessings from God. We need to be part of God’s promise in Christ to offer salvation freely to all men by his grace (Eph 3:6).

No More Strangers

In time past Gentiles were aliens from Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise given to Israel, making them far off from the only channel of access to God and his blessings.

But now, a new channel of direct access to God is revealed for both Jew and Gentile which is through the Lord Jesus Christ according to the gospel of the grace of God.

“Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;” – Eph 2:19

There is no more separation between Jew and Gentile. We are fellowcitizens with all saints (who are no longer called circumcision nor uncircumcision, but saints).

Instead of becoming part of the house of Israel and Judah according to the old and new covenants, we are partakers of the household of God, which is the church (1 Tim 3:15).

Instead of strangers we are all familiar to God, and instead of being foreign we can now receive the benefits of God’s grace as rightful heirs in Christ (Rom 5:2, Rom 8:17).

If any be in Christ, he is no more strangers and foreigners.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, patrick jane said:

How Do I Know I Am Saved?

http://graceambassadors.com/salvation/how-do-i-know-i-am-saved

By Justin Johnson

Let’s be honest. If you do not know that you are saved it is because you are not.

I am not trying to be cruel or mean, but simply honest. It would be the worst kind of negligence if I encouraged you to believe you were saved if actually you were not.

Unsaved people roam the earth thinking they are right with God, but are not. This reality may be driving your honest question about how to know if you are saved. This question is the greatest question one could ask, because the answer is understanding the gospel that saves.

Many people remain unconvinced about their own salvation because of a fear they have left something undone, did not say something right, are not worthy enough, or have not done the right thing to be accepted by God.

Perhaps this is you! You want to do right, and want to be saved, but do not know for certain how to know. What you need to know is the gospel of Christ.

Do You Know the Gospel?

At this point you may object because you claim to already know the gospel. But your question betrays you. The gospel that saves provides the knowledge of salvation. If you do not know you are saved, then you do not know the gospel that saves.

If you claim to know the gospel and still do not know if you are saved you have been told the wrong gospel. Perhaps you have been told salvation comes by…

– Believing Jesus is the Son of God.

– Loving the Lord.

– Following Jesus.

– Accepting Jesus.

– Being born again.

– Keeping the commandments.

– Loving your neighbor.

– Praying the sinner’s prayer.

– Repentance and confessing your sins.

– Confessing the Lord with your mouth.

– Asking Jesus to come into your heart.

– Making him Lord of your life.

– Maintaining a personal relationship with Jesus.

– Naming the name of Christ.

– Being filled with the Holy Spirit; or feeling his presence?

If so, you were told wrong. Your doubts testify to the inadequacy of any of these “gospels” to bring the knowledge of salvation. Have you loved the Lord enough? Don’t the devils also believe Jesus is the Son of God (Jam 2:19)? How do you know Jesus accepted your invitation into your heart? Is salvation really by uttering a name?

Though what you heard may have had an element of Biblical truth in it, you are still left wondering how you know you are saved even after knowing or believing these “gospels”. This is because they do not describe the gospel that saves.

Proof of Salvation

The Bible gives proof to every saved person to know they are saved: the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation (Rom 1:16).

If we test your proof of salvation against the gospel of Christ, we can know if you are saved or not. (I do not pretend to be the judge of your soul, but using God’s word to evaluate your salvation is prudent.)

So, what is the proof of your salvation?

If you say you have none, or that no one can know for certain, then you do not have salvation.

If you say proof is in the good way you live your life, then you have not heard the truth.

If you say proof is found in the promises of God to Israel, then you are taking what is not yours. God made promises to the nation of Israel, but there were many people in Israel who died in their sins at

God’s hand of judgment and not salvation. How do you know you are part of the promises?

If you say proof is in what you have done or not done, said or not said, then you are not saved.

Without proof on what basis can you know that you are saved? There is none! Do you see now that you are not saved at all, and rather than needing to be convinced by Scripture that you are, you need to have the power of God unto salvation open your eyes to the truth of the gospel?

What is the Gospel that Saves

Now the question is seen in a new light. It is no longer the question of a saved person lacking confidence. It is the cry of an unsaved person lacking proof of salvation.

Sinners cannot save themselves or make themselves worthy enough for God to save them. Salvation is not for the righteous or the good, but for the unrighteous and the ungodly. The truth is that there is none righteous, and all have fallen short of God’s glorious standard.

Salvation of sinners is accomplished through the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ. God manifest in the flesh died innocently in the place of sinners shedding his blood as a sacrifice for sins. He rose from the dead three days later defeating the power of death and offering his finished work as the means of salvation to all men.

Salvation is not proven by our own efforts, but in the righteousness of God in Christ when he died for our sins, rose from the dead, and offers salvation freely to sinners who need it. Proof of salvation is found in the gospel of Christ. God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself by the cross.

“To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” – Romans 3:25

We will be saved “if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.” – Romans 4:24-25

This is the gospel of Christ; it is the preaching of the cross. Christ is God, and he did everything necessary to save men through his death and resurrection. His work is the proof of salvation.

If his work is the proof of your salvation, then you have peace with God and eternal life. You are no longer trying to provide proof. God has provided it by his grace in Christ.

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:” – Romans 5:1

“…the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” – Romans 6:23

How Do I Know?

Stop trusting your life, your prayers, your works, your good deeds, your feelings, trust the finished work of Christ and know that you are saved.

I know that I am saved because Christ died for my sins, rose from the dead, and offers salvation freely to all who believe in him. I’ve seen him save other people who believe the gospel of Christ. He will save you, when you believe it (Eph 1:13; Rom 3:22).

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:” – Romans 5:1"

Big speeches are not rightly dividing thew word of truth.

Being JUSTIFIED by faith, gives peace with God, to STAND,  in hope of the glory of God, and we glory in tribulation also for patience.

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Then for hope, we need to see what justified is, and what standing is.

Sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth, therefore STAND fast, and HOLD the traditions of the Holy Apostles in the Holy scriptures as we heard from them..

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Take heed to not let our hearts in cares of this life, so the day of Christ comes unawares on us, the snare on all the world(the mens deceitful teachings are the snare to not be careful and think we are saved by their word?) But to pray always to be accounted worthy of Christ and to STAND before Him...

Luke 21:34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Now for justified..

Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Galatians 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

• Thumbs Up 1