• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  596
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1969

The Judgment Seat of Christ

http://graceambassadors.com/books/romans/the-judgment-seat-of-christ

By Justin Johnson

Every person will eventually stand before the Lord and be judged.

“So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” – Romans 14:12

Yes, even those that trust the gospel of the grace of God. After all, Christ is our Head, why wouldn’t we as members of his body be accountable to him?

“we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.” – Romans 14:10

The important question you need to ask is for what are you being judged? It would be good to know before that day.

The Judgment of Sin

All sin must be judged, but if you trust the gospel, then the judgment you face will not be for sin.

When Christ died he took the judgment for sin upon himself. By his resurrection he offers forgiveness of sins through faith in what he accomplished in our place (Rom 3:24-26; 2 Cor 5:21).

When you trust this gospel that saves you are counted as crucified with Christ, and your sin has already been judged by the cross. What remains for you is to live through the power of the resurrection of Christ.

If you are crucified with Christ, then you will not face a judgment again for sin, because by grace you are saved through faith in Christ. You cannot be condemned for sin again. The judgment of sin is over for you.

Judgment of Responsibility

Though the believer’s sin is judged by Christ’s cross, the saved will still stand before the Lord in judgment.

At this point, some cry “double jeopardy” as if we are held in judgment again for our sins, but this is not so.

Remember, salvation is not from judgment, but from the judgment of sin which is death.

Yes, you are still accountable to the Lord Jesus Christ. There is nothing more right than that members of the Body are held accountable to their Head.

You will face judgment for your responsibility in His body. Being made servants of Christ there is work entrusted to us as members of His body according to what Christ has given us by grace.

In fact, only believers can be held accountable for this work as servants of Christ. Unbelievers are neither made servants of Christ nor do they have any responsibility as workmen for the Lord. They will be accountable to the Lord for their sins at a different judgment.

The judgment where members of the body of Christ attend is called the “judgment seat of Christ” in Romans 14:10. This is different than the judgment of nations before Israel’s kingdom (Matt 25) and the great white throne judgment of the wicked in Rev 20:12 and Rev 21:8.

Our Work Judged

For what are we being judged if not for sin or salvation?

This judgment seat will judge the sort of work done by members of His body, whether according to God’s will or not. It is described in 1 Cor 3 and 2 Cor 5:10.

In 1 Cor 3:10 Paul describes himself as the wise masterbuilder laying the foundation of Christ, elsewhere described as Christ according to the revelation of the mystery (1 Cor 4:1; Rom 16:25).

Paul admonishes…

“let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon” – 1 Cor 3:10

The judgment on that day will not be to determine the character of a man’s soul whether his identity is that of a sinner or a saint. At this judgment all are believers and are sanctified in Christ Jesus by grace through faith (1 Cor 1:30).

Neither is this judgment to weigh the number of good works over against the bad works to see whether on balance a person was good or bad.

Rather, the fire at this judgment will “try every man’s work of what sort it is” (1 Cor 3:13). The sort of work that endures is that which builds and edifies the body of Christ according to the Pauline pattern.

The sort of work that is lost to the fire is that which is not edifying to the body of Christ.

Good work is worthy of a reward. Bad work will not remain.

Conclusion

Do you see how important it is to know the will of God, the mystery of Christ, and how to rightly divide the word of truth?

Without understanding God’s will, we do not know how to build according to plan. Our effort in service will be in vain.

All of our study is for the purpose of pleasing God by the sort of work that will survive the judgment seat of Christ (1 Thess 4:1; Eph 1:5; Eph 2:10). Any lower standard for ministry is vanity.

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” – 2 Timothy 2:15

The reason we study is not to be right, but to build right. Not building at all is the same as building wrong. It will not last.

“Every man’s work shall be made manifest …” – 1 Corinthians 3:13

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  27

Sin and Your Identity in Christ

http://graceambassadors.com/life/sin-and-your-identity-in-christ

By Justin Johnson

There are tremendous doctrines about who I am in Christ found in Romans chapter six. These identity doctrines deliver you from the power of sin and death.

Missing these important identification truths produces a variety of doctrinal mistakes.

My New Life in Christ

Romans 6:3-4 describes that now we, that are saved, are identified with Christ.

The old man, though present every morning in my flesh, is to be reckoned dead (Rom 6:6, 11).

This teaches that the judgment and sentence of my old man is already complete.

No longer am I trying to make it look better than what it was, nor am I letting it walk around with impunity. It is nailed to Calvary’s cross.

There is now no eternal connection between me and my old man in Adam (Col 2:11).

I am not merely destined to die then face a judgment unto condemnation and death. I am now destined to live in the resurrection of Christ (Rom 6:8).

Freedom from Sin and Death

As a result, sin and death have no more rightful dominion over me (Rom 6:9, 14). The life I live now is the resurrected life of Christ in me, the hope of glory!

Without power of dominion, sin cannot accuse me, condemn me, kill me, or make me subject to it any longer.

It can taunt me like the unrepentant thief crucified next to Jesus, but it is already dead. The thief was nailed to a cross!

When it tries to raise objections to the court, it cannot because the court is already dismissed and the bailiff has him on the electric chair. Anything he might say are seen as last words, and irrelevant to his sentence of death.

Death cannot threaten me with its fear of judgment, for my old man has been judged and is dead. I am now alive in Christ.

Silencing Sin and Death

When these identity doctrines are neglected, then all of the gracious benefits we have in Christ are called into question.

Sin will try to adjudicate over your eternal life by asking, “Can we lose our salvation when we sin?”

Grace responds with, “Your testimony and authority is not valid in this court. The case has been closed. The old man is already dead. This new man is free from your accusations.”

Death will try to object, “But sin must be judged and suffering must match the crime. He did not suffer!”

Grace responds with, “This man is in Christ. Christ died unto sin once, and does not die anymore. You have no right to speak in this court seeing as this man is already dead and resurrected in Christ.”

Neither sin nor death can do anything to change who you are in Christ, free from both.

Identification Mistakes

Those who think that the sin of their old man determines their destiny, direction, or duty have missed the doctrine of their identity with Christ, dead to sin.

Those who think they must suffer even unto death for their sin do not understand who they are in Christ, where death has no dominion.

In Christ, you can forget the daily re-crucifixion of Jesus in the Mass, flagellation, the works of penance, fasting, stair walking, stigmata, prayers of confession, and whatever other forms of suffering the old man tries to perform on itself to make a fair shew in the flesh.

Pleas are no good to save the man that is already dead. These are all useless to rid you of your sins or your sin.

Christ’s Work Against Sin

Christ dealt with all your sin problems by the cross. This is what we mean when we say, “Christ did it all”.

He did more than die a death in your place; he died so that in your place he could conquer death in resurrection.

Do not forget what the Lord Jesus Christ did for you, he not only died for your sins, but he died unto sin for you.

Thank God we are now no longer identified by our weak and useless, corrupt and sinful, old man, but are now identified with the Lord Jesus Christ and the reign of grace.

• Praise God! 1

It’s Raining Holy Spirit

http://graceambassadors.com/spirit/its-raining-holy-spirit

By Justin Johnson

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” – 1 Corinthians 3:16

Charismatic Lanny Wolfe wrote in a popular hymn that “surely the presence of the Lord is in this place”, because “I can feel the brush of angels wings”, and “I feel that same sweet Spirit.”

Sometimes people describe the Spirit dwelling in them like a pregnant woman does her baby: “he moved inside me”; but God never says we would feel the Holy Spirit in us.

Even so, it is the lack of a feeling that often prompts prayers for him to rain on us and to come into our presence, our house, and flood us with emotion.

Perhaps the fear is that the Holy Ghost in us gets stale like an old bottle of root beer. There just isn’t any fizz after a while and it needs a good shake.

Of course this is nonsense, but it does not prevent prayers to call the Spirit down upon us like rain when people want to “feel his mighty power”.

A popular Roman Catholic prayer, Come, Holy Spirit, asks the Holy Spirit to come and “kindle a fire” in the faithful. Pentecostals are inclined to pray on any given Sunday for the Holy Spirit to “come on down” like a religious Price is Right.

“Calling down”, “welcoming”, “tarrying”, and “praying to send the Spirit” are all appeals that have been made in church buildings in anticipation that the Spirit would “fill this place”.

To all these prayers perhaps the apostle Paul would respond with:

“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you…?” – 1 Corinthians 6:19

The Spirit In You

There is no reason why anyone who knows 1 Cor 3:16 and 1 Cor 6:19 should ask for the Holy Spirit to come on them when Paul plainly says the Spirit is already present in everyone that believes the gospel of salvation.

While most of Christianity pleads “Come, Holy Spirit”, perhaps we should be thankful that he stays where he’s at by God’s grace. As our ever present seal of salvation he doesn’t need to move anywhere.

“… in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,” – Eph 1:13

If the Spirit dwells in us then he does not need to come down like he did at Pentecost on covenant Israel. Neither does he need to find his place in us repeatedly every new Sunday as if the the first time was ineffectual.

The Holy Spirit must slide off like water off a duck’s back if continual prayers are needed for him to be “poured out like rain”.

Instead, we need to recognize that he is present every waking (and sleeping) moment of our lives in Christ (Rom 8:9). Paul presents this truth as one very good reason why the Corinthians should shape up their behavior.

Could it be that the wrong doctrine of a distant Spirit that needs to be invited into church meetings is what produces poor manners in many charismatic meetings?

“Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.” – 1 Cor 15:33

If you are in the body of Christ, the Spirit dwells in you. What a grievance it must be for the Spirit among so many ignorant Christians who pray for him to “Come” when he dwells in every member of the body of Christ, that is, if they have indeed heard and believed the word of truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spiritual Discipline

http://graceambassadors.com/life/spiritual-discipline

By Justin Johnson

There are two ways to live and make choices in your life.

1. Based on what you know.
2. Based on what you feel.

When you make the choice to operate based on what you know then you will succeed in this life.

You know you need to work to pay the bills. You feel like quitting.

You know you have a responsibility to your family. You feel like being irresponsible.

You know eating a balanced meal of protein and vegetables is good for you. You feel like eating half a cheesecake.

When what you know and what you feel are different, discipline is required. Discipline is forming a habit to live by what you know.

It is no different with your life in Christ. The Spirit and the flesh are contrary one to the other (Gal 5:17). The Spirit tells you what to know about who you are in Christ, and your flesh tells you how to feel. Spiritual discipline is needed to live by what you know, instead of how you feel.

Spiritual discipline is not a ritual that brings you closer to God, or an act of devotion that gives you a feeling of spirituality. Spiritual discipline is operating based on what you know of Christ in you.

You know your old man is crucified with Christ (Rom 6:6). You feel his influence every day. Reckon him dead based on what you know.

You know that you are not under the law. You feel its condemnation when you do not keep its holy standards (Rom 7:24).

You know the Spirit of God dwells in you (1 Cor 3:16). You don’t feel his presence.

You know what is God’s will according to the scriptures rightly divided (1 Tim 2:4; 1 Thess 4:3; 1 Thess 5:18). You don’t feel the Spirit leading you. The Spirit is God. You should operate from what you know.

When you make the choice to operate based on what you know then you will succeed in this life. This takes discipline.

When what you know is Christ in you, then you will succeed in this life and the next (1 Tim 4:7-8). This requires spiritual discipline to live by the knowledge and spiritual understanding gained from God’s word rightly divided (Col 1:9).

Spiritual discipline is not an act you perform. It is forming a habit to live by what you know.

Gain knowledge of who you are in Christ and how to walk after the Spirit in our mini-series through Romans 6-8.

Rightly Dividing the Holy Spirit

http://graceambassadors.com/spirit/rightly-dividing-the-holy-spirit

By Justin Johnson

It is right to divide Peter and Paul’s ministries. Peter and Paul both preached Jesus, but in different ways.

One preached Christ according to prophecy, the other according to a mystery (Eph 1:9-10). The same Lord Jesus Christ was glorified in two different ministries.

What should not be missed is that Peter and Paul did not invent their different ministries out of thin air. It was the Holy Spirit that spoke through them.

Rightly dividing the Prophecy and Mystery is rightly dividing the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit Testifies of Jesus

Jesus said that when the Comforter was sent at Pentecost he would testify of him.

“But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me…” – John 15:26

When we learn to rightly divide we know it is not sufficient just to testify of Jesus, we also ask the question, “how do we testify Jesus?”

The Lord explained that the Spirit would minister in the same fashion as Jesus in his earthly ministry.

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” – John 14:26

Jesus was a minister of the circumcision (Rom 15:8). The Spirit through Peter at Pentecost was a minister of the circumcision as well.

A Change in Ministry

When the Lord Jesus returned to his chief persecutor, Saul, he not only dispensed his abundant grace upon him, but also gave to him a new ministry of himself.

He revealed to Paul how to minister according to a mystery (Rom 16:25).

“But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.” – Gal 1:11-12

This mystery of Christ made Paul’s ministry different than the ministry of Peter who spoke only of the subjects in prophecy.

“Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.” – Acts 3:24

The Spirit’s Change

At Pentecost it was the Holy Ghost that filled Peter to preach what the prophets spoke (Acts 2:4).

After the Lord Jesus Christ gave a different ministry to Paul, the Spirit changed his ministry as well, testifying of Christ according to the mystery. It was the same Spirit that filled Paul to preach the mystery of Christ.

“Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;” – Eph 3:4-5

It was the Spirit working in Peter and Paul that orchestrated the transition from a ministry of Israel to a ministry about the church the new creature.

Same Spirit, Different Ministries

In order to properly rightly divide Pentecost from the Church we must rightly divide the ministry of the Spirit.

It is not enough that we see the Spirit’s ministry, we must ask, “how does he minister?” The way we preach Jesus has changed, because the Spirit changed his ministry to the church.

At Pentecost the Spirit ministered according to prophecy. Through Paul the Spirit ministered the mystery of Christ. Same Spirit, different ministries.

Learn more about the Holy Spirit here.

The Formula for Experiencing God

http://graceambassadors.com/life/formula-for-experiencing-god

By Justin Johnson

Everyone has emotions. Even people who appear emotionless have emotions. Emotions are what we feel. They are generated by our bodily senses interacting with everyday circumstances.

It is easy to manipulate our emotions based on our circumstances. Entertainers know how to do this with lighting, music, and smells. This is why our feelings cannot be trusted. They are circumstantial.

Unfortunately, it is easy to confuse our emotions with spirituality. The outcome is a pseudo-experience that is generated through soft music, dim lighting, and sweet words.

This is not experiencing God. This is emotional manipulation of the same sort that the world experiences in music concerts or in the movies.

This has become so common in churches that the goal of gathering together is to “feel the Spirit move” and “feel the power of God”.

The counterpart to emotion is doctrine: what we know. We may feel a certain way, but if we know something else then our experience can change.

This is how truth works. We feel one way; truth tells us something else. If we believe the truth, our life experience is changed.

Paul describes this in Romans 5:2-4. Naturally tribulation is a bad thing that produces bad experiences.

But when the doctrine of Romans 5:1 and 2 are applied to the bad circumstance then we gain a beneficial experience that we can glory in.

“And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:” – Romans 5:3-4

Our emotion changes from distress to hope!

Sound doctrine from the Bible rightly divided is vitally important for you to experience the life-changing work of God in your life. Without it, we are simply following our circumstances, slaves to our emotions and our flesh.

Churches are filled with people with little to no doctrinal understanding. It is even worse when they have a wrong doctrinal understanding. As a result, the only way to generate the joy, hope, and love that the Bible talks about is with better musicians, more intimate lyrics, and more visual effects.

There is a better way.

The formula for experiencing God is as simple as applying sound doctrine to the circumstances of our lives. When this happens we will experience God and generate emotions that are subject to our mind in Christ.

For you mathematical wizards here is a formula:

Doctrine + Circumstance = Experience + Emotion

Do your homework! (2 Tim 2:15)

A Better Hope than Healing

http://graceambassadors.com/life/a-better-hope-than-healing

By Justin Johnson

Christians have abandoned their most powerful source of comfort and hope for the sick and dying: hope in the Lord.

More and more the popular Christian response to the sick and dying is to pray for healing. They say, “God has done it before, why not now?”

(This is a dispensational question, and can only be answeredadequately by a dispensationalist. When someone is sick and dying it may not be the right time for a dispensational Bible study. They need hope.)

Hope in the Lord has been replaced with hope in healing.

While there are claims of healing miracles, which for the purpose of this article we will not dispute, the truth remains that the majority of people that need a healing fail to get one.

For divine healing to be a source of reasonable comfort and hope it must work more than rarely, sometimes, or even half the time, it must be certain all the time. Without this sort of certainty, healing turns into a divine lottery where you can submit your request, but there is a high chance it will not be answered.

Hope in healing destroys faith in God when it fails to happen. Disillusionment with God and the Bible quickly follows if hope is not in the Lord.

What hope is there in healing?! If our hope in Christ is only for this life then…

“If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” – 1 Corinthians 15:19

A Certain Hope

There is a better hope than healing.

For a true and certain God given hope, Christians should turn to the apostle of hope. Paul speaks more about hope than any other writer in the Bible.

Hope in healing is misplaced. The hope Paul speaks about is in the Lord Jesus Christ who through his grace gives an everlasting hope.

Hope of eternal life (Titus 1:2).
Hope of resurrection (1 Thess 4:13).
Hope of glory (Rom 8:18).
Hope of a redeemed body (Rom 8:23-24).
Hope of a short and light affliction (2 Cor 4:17-18).
Hope of salvation (1 Thess 5:8).
Hope of consolation (2 Cor 1:7).
Hope of the Lord’s return (Titus 2:13).

Every hope here is certain for the believer who trusts the gospel of Christ, and has hopein the Lord. All we must do is wait for it.

“But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. “ – Romans 8:25

Our certain and patience producing hope is in heaven, not in healing (Col 1:5; Phil 3:20-21).

Give Hope to the Hurting

People who pray for a healing are looking for hope. Hope that God will provide help. He has. It is not in a temporal healing. He has provided something far better.

Next time someone sincerely asks for your help to pray for healing, recommend a good doctor, visit them, and give them hope in the Lord Jesus Christ.

God is faithful to do what he says.

God said he has provided grace, and that grace is sufficient for strength, consolation, and hope. Be a grace ambassador. Give hope to the sick and dying through the power of God’s grace.

“Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work. ” – 2 Thess 2:16-17

Pentecost Not the Beginning of the Mystery Church

http://graceambassadors.com/mystery/pentecost-not-the-beginning-of-the-mystery-church

By Justin Johnson

“…according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began…” – Romans 16:25

“This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.” – Eph 5:32

The great mystery revealed in Paul’s writings consists of Christ and the church (Eph 5:32; Eph 3:6-9). Never before had God spoken of a joint body of Jew and Gentile, which would receive glory apart from national Israel, their covenants, or their law.

This new creature, as Paul calls it, was unknown since the world began, unknown by the ancient prophets (Col 1:25-28). This is why he calls it a mystery until revealed to him.

“How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery” – Eph 3:3

Yet and still many in the church think this new creature had its beginnings on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2. Pentecost is where they find their pattern, their origins, and is the root cause of the widespread growth of Pentecostal charismatic belief today.

Consistent dispensational teaching has stood alone in insisting that the church was not in operation in Acts 2. 

Why? The simple reason is that everything described in Acts 1 and 2 is the subject of what was prophesied since the world began, and was not a mystery kept secret.

The church today is operating according to the mystery. The believers at Pentecost were fulfilling prophecy.

Consider the content of these first two chapters of Acts.

1. Jesus taught the twelve apostles pertaining to the kingdom of God that was already written in the prophetic scriptures (Acts 1:3; Luke 24:44-45).
  2. Jesus commands them to stay in Jerusalem, God’s prophetic city (Acts 1:4)
  3. Jesus tells them to wait for the promise of the Father which promise had been given by the old testament prophets (Acts 1:4-5)
  4. They were expecting the restoration of Israel’s kingdom (Acts 1:6)
  5. They were to preach salvation to Israel first, and then salvation to the world through Israel’s rise (Acts 1:8). This is the description of world salvation by the prophets.
  6. Jesus ascended to heaven to fulfill the prophecies (Acts 1:9; Ps 110:1; Acts 2:33-35).
  7. The angels explain about Jesus’ return to the earth according to the prophets (Acts 1:11-12)
  8. Peter explains that Judas’ betrayal and death was a fulfillment of prophecy (Acts 1:16-18)
  9. Peter explains that his office needs to be replaced according to the prophecies (Acts 1:19-20).
  10. The method of choosing the twelfth apostle was that which God instructed Israel in time past (Lev 16:8; Pro 16:33).
  11. There are twelve apostles in order to possess authority over twelve tribes of Israel (Acts 1:26; Matt 19:28)
  12. The Spirit coming on Pentecost fulfills the shadow of the holiday given to Israel (Acts 2:1; Lev 23).
  13. The Spirit is poured out on believing Israel as the prophecies had spoken (Acts 2:4; Isa 44:3; Prov 1:23)
  14. The kingdom restoration of language began as prophesied (Acts 2:5-8; Zeph 3:9).
  15. The apostles proclaim the wonderful works of God according to Ps 40; Ps 78; and Ps 107 (Acts 2:11)
  16. Peter identifies what happened as a fulfillment of the prophecy spoken by the prophet Joel (Acts 2:16-21).
  17. Peter preached to the men of Israel and the “house of Israel” (Acts 2:22; Acts 2:36)
  18. Peter preaches Jesus of Nazareth as Israel’s Christ according to David’s prophecy about the Messiah (Acts 2:22-31)
  19. Peter preaches the fulfillment of Ps 110:1 in Jesus resurrection (Acts 2:32-35).
  20. Peter commanded his hearers to be repent, be baptized, receive the Spirit, all according to the promises given to Israel (Acts 2:38-41).
  21. The believers sold all that they had in expectation of the coming kingdom, living communally, and continued daily in Israel’s temple (Acts 2:42-46).

After the abundance of evidence that the events in Acts 1 and 2 were prophesied, the only argument that remains that the church began at Pentecost is Acts 2:47.

“And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. “ – Acts 2:47

This scripture clearly says that the church was present at Pentecost, but if we are not to throw out every other verse in Acts 1 and 2, we must allow the scriptures to just as clearly describe it to be the prophesied church, and not the church according to the revelation of the mystery.

A study of the cross references found in Acts 1 and 2 to the events declared by the prophets can result in only one conclusion if the scripture is to be taken literally: the church at Pentecost was not the new creature that Paul describes which was kept secret since the world began.

What was kept secret (Paul’s new creature) cannot be what was prophesied (the events of Pentecost).

The operation of the body of Christ according to the revelation of the mystery began when the Lord revealed such a change in the dispensation first revealed to Paul (Col 1:25; 1 Cor 9:17).

The body of Christ today does not find its pattern in what was happening at the prophesied Pentecost of Acts 2, but in the pattern of the apostle Paul’s mystery ministry concerning Christ and his church of today.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
For more study on the events of Acts 1 and 2 listen to our verse by verse lessons here.

When the Dispensation of Grace Began

http://graceambassadors.com/midacts/the-start-of-the-dispensation-of-the-grace-of-god

By Justin Johnson

A common accusation against mid-Acts dispensationalists is that we do not know when the dispensation of grace began.

This is simply not true[1].

Mid-Acts dispensationalists believe the dispensation of grace began with Paul. Paul was the starting point. Paul was not saved before Acts 9.

This is not arbitrary.

Paul explains that a dispensation is not an arbitrary period of time, but rather begins with a revelation dispensed from God.

“If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery…” – Ephesians 3:2-3

When was this grace first given to Paul? Answer: At his conversion.

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.“ – 1 Timothy 1:12-14

It was at his conversion from blasphemer to minister of the Lord that God bestowed grace to him:

“…because of the grace that is given to me of God, That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles” – Rom 15:15

“Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.” – Eph 3:7

The calling of Paul to ministry is recorded as far back as Acts 9:15.

“[Paul] is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel” – Acts 9:15

Paul tells his own story of how it all began at least twice in the book of Acts, here before Agrippa:

“Whereupon as I went to Damascus [Acts 9]… And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee…” – Acts 26:12-17

Paul’s conversion whereby God gave him grace and apostleship is mentioned more times in Acts and the epistles than the popular Spirit outpouring at Pentecost in Acts 2.

Clearly God is calling attention to when he gave Paul grace and called him to minister to all men in Acts 9.

The beginning of the dispensation of the grace of God was when an undeserving sinner first received longsuffering and salvation from God freely apart from Israel and the law.

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.” – 1 Tim 1:15-16

The Lord Jesus Christ made Paul a pattern for those who would follow after in the gospel of the grace of God, and in the fellowship of the mystery.

We do not worship Paul, we recognize the Biblical emphasis upon the dispensation of God’s grace first given to Paul. This was not in the beginning of Acts at Pentecost, nor at the end, but in the middle when Christ first appeared to Paul.

———————————————
1 – Often critics are unaware of the differences between the mid-Acts and Acts 28 teachings, and lump them together as if there is extreme ambiguity in the mid-Acts position. The Acts 28 position is not mid-Acts dispensational, and should be treated separately. Some Acts 28ers have even preferred the nomenclature post-Acts.

The Separation of the Grace Gospel

http://graceambassadors.com/midacts/the-separation-of-the-grace-gospel

By Justin Johnson

If Paul were merely another minister of Peter’s gospel of circumcision, then why was there so much controversy between the circumcision and Paul’s churches?

“When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.” – Acts 15:2

It seems we can’t read a single epistle of Paul without a mention of Jesus-followers teaching contrary to him. He spends multiple chapters in Romans explaining information about Israel; the Corinthians were taught about those “under law”; Galatians were warned not to follow the gospel of circumcision. The great contention in the early church was not with unbelievers, it was amidst those who claimed to follow Jesus.

The explanation, of course, is that Paul was teaching a separate message of Jesus Christ, the mystery of Christ. He received this special message from the Lord Jesus himself (Gal 1:1, 11-12).

Only after we separate the apostleship of Paul from the ministry of the twelve can we understand the strong contentions that arose in the beginning between these two ministries.

A Necessary Separation

When God saw Jerusalem reject his Holy Ghost filled apostles, he gave a new dispensation to Paul and began to separate Jerusalem and Israel from his salvation (1 Cor 9:17, Rom 11:25).

God first separates a unique apostle to do his work and tells him to go to the Gentiles. Paul and his ministry are separated geographically from Jerusalem. As Paul ministers to the Jews in Gentile lands he tells them that salvation has been taken from them and given to Gentiles:

“It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.” – Acts 13:46

Later, the authoritative apostles in Jerusalem agree that Paul would not teach his gospel of grace among the circumcision, because of Paul’s authority given by the Lord (Gal 2:7-9). Instead Paul would go to the whole world of uncircumcised to teach his gospel. Not only was this giving credence to the gospel of grace superseding the gospel of the Matthew commission, but it was also separating his gospel from the people who had believed the kingdom gospel.

Paul’s ministry and the ministry of the twelve apostles over twelve tribes were doctrinally separated. Israel would not be given the special privilege of the gospel during this dispensation.

The Separation in Action

There are many times when Paul recognizes this separation in his ministry. One of the most mentioned is Romans 15:20:

“Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man’s foundation:”

However, he also perpetuates the doctrinal separation when Peter comes to Galatia and carries out the law teaching among Paul’s crowd (Gal 2:11-13). Such an admixture of doctrines could only cause confusion and subvert Paul’s message. Paul then rightly rebukes Peter.

Likewise, when Paul was traveling among Peter’s group, he rightly keeps his gospel separate from the law keepers under James’ ministry according to their agreement (Acts 21:26-27). The gospel of the grace of God was never taught in Jerusalem.

God separated the gospel of grace from the circumcision. Peter’s remnant ministry to the circumcision ended and now all men everywhere are told to hear the one gospel which is the mystery of Christ (Rom 16:25). God has moved on, so should the church.