bryan

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Have you every heard a view or belief from a preacher or church elder, accepted it at the time as true, then later tried to verify it in scripture and found it to be different or missing from the bible?

Here's an example:  A preacher in a church years ago told everyone that drinking was a sin.  Any time you drank beer or wine for any reason was sinful and the bible says so.  I thought that was the case for many years until I read about Jesus turning water into wine at a wedding and saw a conflict.  More reading years later led me to view that differently.

Do you have any examples such as this where you heard something, thought it was based on scripture, and then later found it to be different than you thought initially? 

Let's keep this thread only about instances as above and avoid discussing whether any view is correct or not.  A separate thread can be used for that if needed.

Guest Butero

Preachers often claim all gambling, even buying a lottery ticket is a sin, but there is no scripture that says that.

Guest Butero
5 minutes ago, naominash said:

At the church I went to, women could never wear makeup or jewelery. I love modesty and moderation but I don't think that's what Paul intended.

I could list a whole host of things they taught I disagreed with. I basically went because I wanted unit with my husband. He eventually decided to leave on his own.

Looking back, I may have overdid biting my tongue on some of the issues. But had I resisted too much, he may have just locked into that church more.

I agree.  That wasn't what the Bible was saying.  Another thing I just thought of was that the Christian Sabbath is Sunday.  There is no scriptural basis for that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Does it affect the eternity of the congregation?  If not, then some things can be overlooked as opinion of the pastor.  Lots of outstanding men out there preaching the true gospel that just have views on different behaviors that aren't necessarily Biblical.

My own pastor believes alcohol to be never bought, sold, nor consumed for any reason.  But then again, his grandfather was a fall down, slobbering drunkard who left a terrible mark on his family and caused much pain.  I don't drink myself for a variety of reasons, but while I disagree with him, I would never bring it up to him because his opinion isn't going to effect anyone salvation or sanctification at my church.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Who uses his own private interpretation to justify his own pride? That man  is trouble. Who will bend to authority over him, and try to do all that he does to the glory of God even going the extra mile when compelled  carry a soldier's load even a Christian soldier. That person is a saint giving the better testimony. The nay sayers hate authority of any kind.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

2 hours ago, Butero said:

Preachers often claim all gambling, even buying a lottery ticket is a sin, but there is no scripture that says that.

3 hours ago, bryan said:

A preacher in a church years ago told everyone that drinking was a sin.

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Who uses his own private interpretation to justify his own pride?

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

My own pastor believes alcohol to be never bought, sold, nor consumed for any reason.

"Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this,
    not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way." - Romans 14:13

"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble,
    I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." - 1 Corinthians 8:13

"Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love.
    Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died." - Romans 14:15

"for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking,
    but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." - Romans 14:17

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Guest Butero
13 minutes ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

"Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this,
    not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way." - Romans 14:13

"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble,
    I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." - 1 Corinthians 8:13

"Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love.
    Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died." - Romans 14:15

"for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking,
    but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." - Romans 14:17

You should not place stumbling blocks in anyone's path.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I've experienced a preacher saying something wrong several times but it was so long ago I don't recall what it was.

With some things you have to figure out why. This is the case with how a person dresses or how a woman apples make up. Make up can be used to enhance a woman's features, which is fine. Or make up can be applied to simulate a man's lusty desires, this is sin. The same with clothes. If your clothes are going to stimulate sexual desires in those who see you then it's sin. 

A little alcohol isn't sin getting drunk is.

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Tithing.   I later figured out it was more about frugal living, financial liberty, and generosity than carrying a decimal point on every check.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, bryan said:

Have you every heard a view or belief from a preacher or church elder

I've seen it many times, no pastor is always right, some pastors are never right.

James chapter 3 verse 1 and 2

Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1