• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

5 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

It has been going up, but its had its hickups. The lower unemployment rate is a sign of an strengthening economy. So are new jobs being created. Trump promised new jobs...and theyre arriving. And the left is mad because they have egg on their face and are trying to cover it.

So why so many part time jobs. and where are theses new jobs, and when are they coming.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

3 hours ago, tigger398 said:

So why so many part time jobs. and where are theses new jobs, and when are they coming.

The reason for so many part time jobs tigger is largely still thanks to obama and obamacare. While trumps working on repealing it, companies have already shifted over largely to more part time jobs due to it being cheaper during the obama era. We can hope theyll shift back, but the damage maybe permanent.

@sojourner the discussion is about jobs not disability. But even so, you are right many of the new jobs are indeed entry level jobs, but they are still jobs and still income. Is it easy for an older gentleman to push carts? No but sometimes one takes what they can get. Lifes not fair, and the Bible is clear when it says he who does not work does not eat.

Now i realize their are people with disabilities that are unable to work, but again that is NOT the topic of discussion here. Were simply talking jobs, and i get tired of hearing people say "I shouldn't have to take that job its beneath me" well no, if it helps feed your family and its the only job available, its not beneath you. Time to put away the pride and work.

• Group:  Diamond Member

21 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

The reason for so many part time jobs tigger is largely still thanks to obama and obamacare. While trumps working on repealing it, companies have already shifted over largely to more part time jobs due to it being cheaper during the obama era. We can hope theyll shift back, but the damage maybe permanent.

@sojourner the discussion is about jobs not disability. But even so, you are right many of the new jobs are indeed entry level jobs, but they are still jobs and still income. Is it easy for an older gentleman to push carts? No but sometimes one takes what they can get. Lifes not fair, and the Bible is clear when it says he who does not work does not eat.

Now i realize their are people with disabilities that are unable to work, but again that is NOT the topic of discussion here. Were simply talking jobs, and i get tired of hearing people say "I shouldn't have to take that job its beneath me" well no, if it helps feed your family and its the only job available, its not beneath you. Time to put away the pride and work.

How does obamacare make jobs part time. I just thought companies were getting more greedy.

6 hours ago, tigger398 said:

How does obamacare make jobs part time. I just thought companies were getting more greedy.

The benefits. Obamacare required companies to offer health insurance to all full-time employees while at the same time skyrocketing health insurance costs. So companies started cutting back on full time positions and hiring more part time employees.

And a lot of the Obamacare restrictions are being repealed, slowly, which may help in time, but health insurance is still way high and i don't see it going down anytime soon.

15 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

The benefits. Obamacare required companies to offer health insurance to all full-time employees while at the same time skyrocketing health insurance costs. So companies started cutting back on full time positions and hiring more part time employees.

And a lot of the Obamacare restrictions are being repealed, slowly, which may help in time, but health insurance is still way high and i don't see it going down anytime soon.

When I was full time. Even though they offered health care. I had to pay for it.

Guest shiloh357
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, The_Patriot2018 said:

Theres something to be said for "its still money" i have friends who refuse to take jobs because "they dont pay enough to cover the bills" what they dont realize, is the longer they go unemployed the harder it is to get a job. An employer wants someone who will be willing to work....and if looking between two applications, where both people fit the job description, but one has been working McDonald's for a year because he couldn't find a job in his field, is going to be far more likely to get the job then the guy sitting at home unemployed because he refuses to work for less then he thought he was worth.

And ive noticed where theres a will theres a way. When me and my wife got married we survived comfortably together at well below the poverty level. We both worked min. Wage jobs, at 40 hours a week or less. In fact, theres time i wish i could go back to those times, much simpler.

Living below the poverty level is one thing.  Being paid a living wage just to cover necessities, like rent, grocery, fuel, utilities, insurance and telephone is quite another.  There are people live below the poverty level making $10-12 an hour in my neck of the woods and they are the lucky ones.  That is not the average wage in my city.   

It used to be back when I got out of HS in '85 that $8.00 an hour was enough to make a $300 mortgage payment, and a car payment and still have kids.  But our city's Chamber has kept wages down to around $8-$9 an hour and kept industry away, so as to attract retirees.

When I graduated HS, rent for a full sized 1 bdrm apt. was $99.   Now the same apt goes for $450 a month with the wage average staying pretty much the same, between $8-$9 an hour.   Mortgages are $1200 now. 

I don't know anyone who refuses to take a job.  I know lots of people working two jobs and still struggle to pay their bills and have some semblance of an existence.  They don't have iPhones or Smart TVs, don't eat steak or shop, at Starbucks and have to use the free internet at the library.

Wages have not kept up with inflation and I know people from more than one city who say the same thing.   The jobs created need to be real jobs that people can live on and at least something to save for retirement.  I was reading a report that less than half of Americans have even $1,000 in the bank in a savings account.  https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

Edited by shiloh357

4 hours ago, tigger398 said:

When I was full time. Even though they offered health care. I had to pay for it.

you usually do, but you dont have to pay all of it. you may only pay say, 40% while the company pays 60% of it. each company differs. the last year of obamas presidency, I was paying close to $600 a month for health insurance just for myself, while the company was paying about $500 a month.

41 minutes ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

you usually do, but you dont have to pay all of it. you may only pay say, 40% while the company pays 60% of it. each company differs. the last year of obamas presidency, I was paying close to $600 a month for health insurance just for myself, while the company was paying about $500 a month.

Oh wow I didn't know that. I had to pay 100% of it at the job I was at. We actually had to get the obamba care  because we couldn't afford what the jobs offered and it covers almost nothing. It's like paying for what you can't use.

33 minutes ago, tigger398 said:

Oh wow I didn't know that. I had to pay 100% of it at the job I was at. We actually had to get the obamba care  because we couldn't afford what the jobs offered and it covers almost nothing. It's like paying for what you can't use.

If your company was requiring you to pay 100% then they technically wernt offering health insurance...and if you were working full time (more then 32 hours  a week) they were breaking the law.

2 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Living below the poverty level is one thing.  Being paid a living wage just to cover necessities, like rent, grocery, fuel, utilities, insurance and telephone is quite another.  There are people live below the poverty level making $10-12 an hour in my neck of the woods and they are the lucky ones.  That is not the average wage in my city.   

It used to be back when I got out of HS in '85 that $8.00 an hour was enough to make a $300 mortgage payment, and a car payment and still have kids.  But our city's Chamber has kept wages down to around $8-$9 an hour and kept industry away, so as to attract retirees.

When I graduated HS, rent for a full sized 1 bdrm apt. was $99.   Now the same apt goes for $450 a month with the wage average staying pretty much the same, between $8-$9 an hour.   Mortgages are $1200 now. 

I don't know anyone who refuses to take a job.  I know lots of people working two jobs and still struggle to pay their bills and have some semblance of an existence.  They don't have iPhones or Smart TVs, don't eat steak or shop, at Starbucks and have to use the free internet at the library.

Wages have not kept up with inflation and I know people from more than one city who say the same thing.   The jobs created need to be real jobs that people can live on and at least something to save for retirement.  I was reading a report that less than half of Americans have even $1,000 in the bank in a savings account.  https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

I also heard when you raise wages, you raise prices on things. So back to where we started from.