• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

5 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

Such people who've been confirmed may have regarded it as no more than something they went through but it had no lasting significance for them. It's just a badge they trot out whenever anyone asks if they are saved. But on the other hand, there are those who regard their salvation as significant, yet they still sin.. so what's the difference?

This person made a great point, we have just as many hypocrites in Evangelical circles as the Catholics do. It's hard to say one is worse than the other. You can't think of them as a group, you have to look at each person individually. Maybe only God can do this but we also have to try.

Both Evangelicals and the Catholics need to start living what they believe. If they don't I think they will be in trouble with God.

I was raised Catholic but left because it didn't help me with God. Different churches confirm their children at different ages. The church I went to confirmed us much too young, I say this because I didn't even know what it was about and now I barely remember it.

• Group:  Royal Member

Such people who've been confirmed may have regarded it as no more than something they went through but it had no lasting significance for them. It's just a badge they trot out whenever anyone asks if they are saved. But on the other hand, there are those who regard their salvation as significant, yet they still sin.. so what's the difference?

This person made a great point, we have just as many hypocrites in Evangelical circles as the Catholics do. It's hard to say one is worse than the other. You can't think of them as a group, you have to look at each person individually. Maybe only God can do this but we also have to try.

Both Evangelicals and the Catholics need to start living what they believe. If they don't I think they will be in trouble with God.

I was raised Catholic but left because it didn't help me with God. Different churches confirm their children at different ages. The church I went to confirmed us much too young, I say this because I didn't even know what it was about and now I barely remember it.

• Group:  Royal Member

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/21/2018 at 12:10 PM, creativemechanic said:

Ive heard quite a few Anglicans speak of this. Proudly in fact, sometimes equating it with salvation. Its obviusly not, but can anyone explain what it entails.

Whats actually said and told because from what i've observed, there are numerous issues with it.

1) seemingly some children were made to go  to the classes by their parents (salvation is of free will)

2) Persons  would  say they were already  confirmed (in one case as a response to being sent something encouraging them to accept Jesus as Saviour) but all the while be living blatantly sinful lives- partying, drinking, sleeping with boyfriends/girlfriends, questioning Biblical principles like how we know the bible is true etc.

Its concerning because it seems as if its just another man made tradtition that gives unsaved people a false sense of salvation with their lives being a testament to the lack of the actual change

It used to be the case (when I was a child) that nominal believers (the kind of people who would put down 'C of E' as their religion but never prayed or went to church) would take their babies to be baptised and then take those same children along to be confirmed at the age of about 12. At my school (which wasn't even a church school), confirmation classes were 'advertised' in school assembly! Actual commitment to Jesus Christ was not required, it was just one of those rites of passage that many people went through without thinking. My husband was confirmed at the age of 12 just because he was a choirboy and it was expected of him. So a lot of people who have been confirmed in this way are not genuine Christians.

But having said that, there must be thousands (millions?) of Anglican believers for whom confirmation in their teens was a meaningful event that expressed genuine commitment to Jesus - equivalent to believers baptism. Because you're only supposed to be baptised once, so if (as a church) you baptise people in infancy, you can't re-baptise them when they become Christians later in life. Confirmation fills the gap. 

Personally I think that it's better not to baptise infants at all. Then confirmation becomes unnecessary. It's infant baptism that's the real problem.