Ralfy

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I decided to compile a few interesting facts about the Apostles I've been reading over the past few years into a youtube video. Reading about the Apostles and their acts really helped bring me to Christ. 

Hopefully one day it may do the same for others. Also inspire them to get reading their bibles!

Any other facts I'd love to hear them!
Edited by Ralfy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Oh, dear!!!  Where to start!!

Where did you get these facts?  Facts by definition are provable truths.

[1]  James and Jude of the 12 were not the brothers of Jesus.  There were two literal brothers of Jesus names James and Jude who DID write two books of the Bible, but the Bible is clear that Jesus' brothers did not believe in him until after he was resurrected.  John 7:5   His brothers believed him to be out of him mind.  Mark 3:21.  And even Jesus himself said a prophet is not without honor except in his own household. Matthew 13:57.

• Peter and Andrew, brothers
  • James and John, brothers - sons of Zebedee
  • Philip
  • Bartholomew
  • Matthew, also called Levi
  • Thomas, the doubter
  • Simon the Zealot
  • Judas Iscariot, the betrayer of Jesus
  • Thaddeus, also called Judas - NOT son of Mary and brother to Jesus
  • James, son of Alpheus - NOT son of Mary and brother to Jesus

[2]  The only deaths of the Apostles that are factual are James, the brother of John and Peter.  Acts 12:1-2 says that Herod had James, the brother of John beheaded.  And although the Bible does not record Peter's crucifixion, Jesus told Peter that this is what would happen to him.  John 21:18-19  The rest are tradition only and not facts.

[3] Judas Iscariot was not an Edomite.  He was an Israelite.  Even if you can prove that he was from Kerioth.  Kerioth is city in Judah.

[4] Matthias was the appropriate man to take Judas Iscariot's place.  The Bible is clear on that. Acts 1.

• Peter cited more than one scripture that prophesied that there needed to be a replacement.
  • The requirement were that this man must a) have been with them all the time of Jesus' ministry and b) been a witness to the resurrection and ascension.  [Paul did not meet either of these requirements.]
  • They nominated two men who met the requirements.
  • Then, they PRAYED to God that HE would choose the man.
  • They cast lots, which was permissible, and Matthias was chosen.
  • No, nothing more is said of him, but nothing more is said of many of them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

He jumps to a lot of conclusions.  Full of errors.  Perhaps he used tradition for a source, since the Scriptures reveal the errors.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Ralfy, I see you have not responded to this post and that you have moved on to another forum  altogether with the same OP.  Did you even consider what was said here?  Or even read it?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thanks for your reply Jayne. Yes I read your reply and I will respond.

1) Joseph was the legitimate heir to David, by God interceding to sire Christ and Joseph marrying Mary. Jesus then inherited the claim to the throne of Israel. Since Joseph had no other children before or after Jesus was unchallenged for the throne even when he died. Since he was resurrected he remains the King even to this day. God always followed his own laws.

Jesus had at least 4 (half) brothers. If 2 believed and 2 did not. John's Gospel that even his brother believed him not remains true.His own household not believing like above, his other brothers, sisters, step father etc. etc. didn't believe.

It is also clearly stated that Mary had other children in the Gospel. matt 12:46

2) It's true that the bible does not list the eventual fates of each Apostle. However historical evidence especially from what early churches leaders wrote about the Apostles makes it clear they all died. This of course can be disputed but I can see no reason why they'd lie.

3) Judah by the time of Christ was a mixed multitude of Israelites, Edomites as well as others. When the Israelites were taken in to captivity, centuries before Christ and later returned they found their land inhabited by this mixed multitude, but were to few in number to drive them out. 

4) There's no doubt the Apostles were sincere in putting Matthias forth for the position of 12th Apostle. But they were instructed to wait until they received the holy spirit. Paul saw Christ resurrected or at least a glimpse  on the road to Damascus which qualified him as seeing irrefutable proof. Also consider:

• Romans 1:1 "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God"
  • 1 Cor 1:1 "Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God"
  • 2 Cor 1:1 "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God"
  • Gal 1:1 "Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead)"
  • Eph 1:1 "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God"

I hope that helps. I'd be more than happy to hear your responses. God bless.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

These are awesome facts, thank you so much for sharing!