• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I have a PhD in physics and have worked as an applied scientist, engineer, and analyst professionally for decades.  I've also been a Christian for over 40 years.

For me, the key is that my trust and confidence in God rests in decades of having seen God's hand at work in my life and other people's lives.   I don't sweat the details of how God created the universe; for me the important thing is that He did.  In my mind, the biggest issue is whether we are ultimately unique beings with intrinsic value created in God's image according to a greater purpose or if we are simply random self-aware collections of atoms that simply exist.  For some people, "faith" (which is often an ambiguous term different people use differently) means not having doubts about particular facts and opinions.  For me, faith is a trust and confidence in God as a Person rooted in a lifetime of walking with God on a consistent basis.  

My observation of many people over decades is that trust and confidence (and fading doubts) are rooted in a consistent walk with God over months, years, and decades much more than being rooted in answering questions and trying to eliminate doubts.  That's not to say apologetics has no purpose and that we shouldn't stop asking questions.  What it is to say that being a Christian is much more being about living life as a grand adventure that God has us on than it is about having a list of beliefs to have no doubts about and a set of rules to follow.  Being a Christian is about having God's Spirit come within us to live and transform us into new creations.  It is about God transforming us into the individuals that He created us to be.

It is always encouraging to read how people, even those well educated, come to a point, where one has to accept that God is. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1