• Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

My report:

Shen Yun;

Well it came and went, the day of Shen Yun for which  my trip was held short, so  that I might return to attend.

I watched it.

I don't know what it was, and never did get the final score.  

I think the "soaring Hankerchiefs might have beaten out the "Han Dynasty Sleeves" in regulation time.

Evidently the score board and clock were not working. Finally it seemed like  it was game over, everyone left and so  did I.  

Just kidding. Actually I don't know what they were worshiping; a giant thin buddha or self or culture or something. Whatever it was, it appeared after each period of whatever it was they were playing as a 30 foot tall image on the background screen with little representations of the players flying to it, like it was the mother ship. All very strange. If I had my druthers I'd select watching curling over watching it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

It is a performance, a dance and music performance. Not a religious service. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

um I have a question.. Is the group linked to the Falun Gong ?  The Falun Gong is non-Christian religious belief movement....

• Followers:  18

8 hours ago, just_abc said:

um I have a question.. Is the group linked to the Falun Gong ?  The Falun Gong is non-Christian religious belief movement....

Daca Falun, that was it "Daca Falun is good"  I think was the banner that one cast member would run out with after some skits.

The idea  presented is evidently that the communists have ruined the culture of China, and the worship of divine "origins". It is an exhibit of what they consider to be a superior culture done in dance and a series of mini plays exhibiting  forms of arts they wish to keep alive, a culture of dance and song that they say is lost, but they are the keepers of, and want to restore or keep alive until they can bring it back to China.

Part of their mini plays  and exhibitions of twirls and slinging fuzzy stuff around included  images representing the interference of communists with their  diety or divinities or devine nature of origins,  once presented as a skinny Asian looking  representation much like a Euro-Christ imagination. Another time it was more a skinny Buddha, and the third one I really don't know what it was, except to call it the mother ship, or a hive like a bee hive dome of some sort to which the cast flew up to and became outlying stars or heavenly images or  something.

Anyway, I do not have a great tolerance for suffering stuff that is not a straight forward presentation. So it was lost on the likes of me. Wife liked it as entertainment, and so all was not lost for the day. The cast are all students from their NYC college of whatever it is they represent. They say there are now five troupes of them going about the world  to preserve their whatever. They are hoping to outlast the communists with their continuation of their dances and skits and then return it all back to China some day as  the superior culture of China.

On the one hand it was  a continuous vaudeville or even burlesgue of dances and skits, plus it was a protest against brutal communism, and then on the other hand there would pop up this concept of deity which I never got. I don't know if it represented self or some gods or what. Maybe it even represented a type that could be Jesus seen darkly.

The audience applauded the talent  I guess, but was pretty silent  as they left and walked to their vehicles. Made for an odd day ( for me) here in the subtropics right next to the preseason MLB game going on. What a traffic jam getting out of there and to a restaurant! I don't know culture, but  can say  the people are about and spending and enjoying the spring break time here. Even us geezers are out and having a busy time- enjoying our own "culture".

They said the presentation is all new each year, and that this one was designed by and put together by the students of the "college" as are the other four, each year a new performance.

• Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

5 hours ago, ayin jade said:

It is a performance, a dance and music performance. Not a religious service. 

Saw it in Austin a few years back. Got the impression it was a banned (in China) philosophy.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Saw it in Austin a few years back. Got the impression it was a banned (in China) philosophy.

I really want to see it but I cant afford the tickets atm. I have always loved china. Read pearl buck as a teen. Read judge dee literature as an adult. (Its their version of sherlock holmes, written in the ming dynasty based on a semihistorical magistrate in the tang dynasty.) Tried to learn mandarin chinese as an adult. Gone to many art exhibits on various chinese arts. Watched chinese foreign films. Etc. Always wanted to visit china but likely never will.

I draw the line at eating scorpions tho lol. I can do without that food. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

It's a music and dance performance, and according to several Chinese people I know, it is indeed associated with the religious group Falun Gong, which is banned and persecuted in China. 

5 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I really want to see it but I cant afford the tickets atm. I have always loved china. Read pearl buck as a teen. Read judge dee literature as an adult. (Its their version of sherlock holmes, written in the ming dynasty based on a semihistorical magistrate in the tang dynasty.) Tried to learn mandarin chinese as an adult. Gone to many art exhibits on various chinese arts. Watched chinese foreign films. Etc. Always wanted to visit china but likely never will.

I draw the line at eating scorpions tho lol. I can do without that food. 

Scorpions are okay,   - hard to get the meat out of the claws.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

If I am not mistaken.... Falun Gong / Falun dafa  teachings is possibily something like New Age or mysticism....

That is not something Christians should get involved in....

And to me..  I don't think that is something Christians should support either.  

Sorry..  No offence intended at all.  Just my personal opinion that's all.

Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, just_abc said:

If I am not mistaken.... Falun Gong / Falun dafa  teachings is possibily something like New Age or mysticism....

That is not something Christians should get involved in....

And to me..  I don't think that is something Christians should support either.  

Sorry..  No offence intended at all.  Just my personal opinion that's all.

Thanks. 

I went with some apprehension, but determined to smile and enjoy the "ballett" for spouse's sake and enjoyment of culture higher than "GOAL!, Bolts win, Bolts win".

I would not go again, but I seem not to have lost my salvation over it either. Some can enjoy if as entertinment. Me, once I saw the giant skinny Buddha thing appear I was into "shields up Scotty!" mode.

My wife was not bothered at all enjoyed the beauty of the pageantry. And that is fine too. She is not off lighting incense and making fans to flutter and toss today.