• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

Hi 

I have been a believer for almost fifteen years now, but often find that reading the Bible in its tough language (being honest, not disrespectful)  tends to become slightly boring (side effect of my limited human mind, no way God's fault). I do not want this to turn me away from God.

Is it a good idea to read simpler Bibles like The Message which is available for free on Bible gateway? Its the same content, just easier to read.

What do you guys think? 

Thanks and Blessings, 

GerdaHannah

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

An absolutely positively resounding and loudly sounding   NO WAY NO HOW.   not that book.  

• This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

1 hour ago, GerdaHannah said:

Hi 

I have been a believer for almost fifteen years now, but often find that reading the Bible in its tough language (being honest, not disrespectful)  tends to become slightly boring (side effect of my limited human mind, no way God's fault). I do not want this to turn me away from God.

Is it a good idea to read simpler Bibles like The Message which is available for free on Bible gateway? Its the same content, just easier to read.

What do you guys think? 

Thanks and Blessings, 

GerdaHannah

The KJV was written using the language of that day. And, the Message Bible is also written according to the language of our day., as is "The Living Paraphrased" Bible. All Bibles have been written with intent that they would be understood by the people. The parables that Jesus used was so that the Kingdom of God could be understood by those who heard them.. making comparisons according to ordinary daily life. For God to be understood is what God wants. The KJV has outdated english that most just don't use in daily life anymore, so it's good that other versions have stepped in to make God's word updated again. Therefore, it's no sin to want to understand God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

While I read many books, I gave up over and over trying to read the bible.  Problem one was that I started in the beginning instead of the new testament.  Next problem was I didn't understand what the books were and how they're not like chapters of a book.  Next issue was the language in King James editions.

When I started reading The Message, I was able to make it through and understand the majority of it.  That got be interested enough to go back and look for other editions that were more 'readable', and I ended up with the New Living Translation as my favorite.  Years later, I mostly prefer NLT but switch to others to clarify points.  Like churches, there's no perfect translation.

Personally, I'd say go ahead and read The Message, then see what questions you have afterward.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

The KJV was written using the language of that day. And, the Message Bible is also written according to the language of our day., as is "The Living Paraphrased" Bible. All Bibles have been written with intent that they would be understood by the people. The parables that Jesus used was so that the Kingdom of God could be understood by those who heard them.. making comparisons according to ordinary daily life. For God to be understood is what God wants. The KJV has outdated english that most just don't use in daily life anymore, so it's good that other versions have stepped in to make God's word updated again. Therefore, it's no sin to want to understand God.

Paraphrases are the worst thing to use.   Paraphrases are just one person putting the Bible into his own words and with that you are getting that man's personal theology, not a translation or "version."   Paraphrases are the worst thing to happen to the Christian book industry.   

The KJV is not antiquated or outdated and can be perfectly understood 99% of the time.  There are things called dictionaries that can help out with few obscure 17th century words. 

In fact the KJV often reflects the nuances of Greek and Hebrew better, in some cases than the modern translations. 

But modern translation would, far and away, be better than the Message.  It  is a mess.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Hi Gerda its been a long time. I hope you are well. The message bible is a really bad one to use. While it may seem like it is easily understandable, it tosses in a lot of things related to false gods. Like it calls the Lord by a name associated with an ancient druid god. If you are looking for one that is easier for you to understand, please try the nasb, esv, nkjv, nlt or amplified bible. You can check those out on biblegateway.com and see which of those you would prefer. But please avoid the message bible. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Or here try this ,   OH Father reveal the truth to me that I need to know from the bible.    THAT collection set is FREE and its ONE HUNDRED PERCENT ACCURATE.

no ninety nine ninety nine charge for that .   ITS FREE IN CHRIST .      

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

6 hours ago, GerdaHannah said:

but often find that reading the Bible in its tough language

I read and listen to the NIV, it's easier to understand, I also have a MP3 player that makes it easy, things that are written that aren't the bible, may not be true, and no one is always right in what they say.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

Gee, would you be the talk of the Sunday School class lugging in that set :24:

Overall it is smaller and lighter than my giant print red leather cover KJV lectern Bible with maps, and the set fits under the seat on airplane flights as my carry on luggage.