• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

13 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

If this going to be a discussion about Sam Gipp's views on the matter, then you need to change the thread's title to something like James White vs. Sam Gipp.

Done. Thanks!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  596
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1969

I don't say KJV is the only good Bible but I DO prefer it over every other Bible. I certainly haven't read from every possible Bible but from all that I have read from KJV is by far the best, IMO.

Edited by patrick jane
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Adstar said:

Great post... He delivers a baseless ad-hominem attack on KJV believers  and then asks everyone not to do likewise..

""Do as i say not as i do""

Talk about Red Flags..

ad ho·mi·nem
ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
My comment was directed against the position being maintained by KJVO advocates. That is not ad-hominem.

Ad hominem would be, "Gitt hates the NIV because he has stock in a company that prints it." ;)

2 minutes ago, patrick jane said:

I don't say KJV is the only good Bible but I DO prefer it over every other Bible. I certainly haven't read from every possible Bible but from all that I have read from KJV is by far the best, IMO.

I confess that as I've moved away from spiritual milk, I've been searching for new issues into which I can sink my teeth. I research and discuss, then move on to the next. 

For me, this is the "next". And it's really not just about the KJVO stance. That is the doorway to the path to greater understanding of the source for all of the well known translations. 

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 minutes ago, Still Alive said:
ad ho·mi·nem
ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
My comment was directed against the position being maintained by KJVO advocates. That is not ad-hominem.

Ad hominem would be, "Gitt hates the NIV because he has stock in a company that prints it." ;)

Please, don't get too upset. It struck me funny is all, like two red flags flying together, a hurricane yet to come warning. Then another demands, not asks, that the title be changed. Least in the original post instruction there was a "please" in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, patrick jane said:

Yes. I have a KJV and will often, especially if a verse is confusing, check out the KJV and juxtapose it against a RSV or NIV or, sometimes, even the Net Bible at Blueletterbible.com

The issue that confuses me is the belief that the KJV is the perfect word of God and all others are corrupted by man. What is amazing is the transparently inaccurate arguments made by Gitt. I'd never heard of him until yesterday. His arguments are not only hopelessly flawed, but either he doesn't know what he's talking about or he is intentionally deceiving people. I don't know which. Yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
15 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

And some advocates even argue that if you are in and raised in a non-english language country, to get the "perfect" word of God, you must STILL use the KJV.

I have neer heard a KJV only advocate say that.  The KJV only position is that the KJV is the Word of God to English speaking people.  They have not, to my knowledge argued that everyone in the world must learn English in order to get the only Word of God.   The KJV only position isn't that shallow.  Their position is that any translation in any language that is based on the same manuscript stream that the KJV comes from (Antiochan) is the Word of God that particular language.

It's important to understand that the heart of the pro-KJV position is that the KJV and the modern texts come from two totally different historical manuscript streams.  The modern versions are Alexandrian in origin, whereas the KJV is Antiochan in origin.   

Edited by shiloh357

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, Still Alive said:
ad ho·mi·nem
ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adverb & adjective

4 minutes ago, Davida said:

Off the bat you categorized all those you disagree --i.e. KJO in a collective negative light and then in the next breath you tell people ad hominem is unwelcome... seemed bit contradictory.  

Yes pride is a terrible thing.. It prevents one from admitting an error and apologizing and moving on... Thus they end the possibility of productive discussion..

Guest shiloh357
9 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Please, don't get too upset. It struck me funny is all, like two red flags flying together, a hurricane yet to come warning. Then another demands, not asks, that the title be changed. Least in the original post instruction there was a "please" in there.

To a be a little more accurate, all I said was that the title is misleading if this is actually a debate about Sam Gipp's version of the KJV debate and the title needs to reflect that.  It helps people decide if they want to engage in a thread if the title correctly reflects the substance of the thread.   

Edited by shiloh357

23 minutes ago, Davida said:

I've never heard any of those that prefer the KJ ever say my way or the highway but state why they prefer it, & they get attacked a lot if they like kJv only and that is a red flag to me.  

It's a figure of speech. I was first exposed to it with the guitar player in my band here in rural KY about five years ago. I honestly thought he was kidding. I learned that it was a thing and read a bit, watched a few videos, and moved on when I'd resolved the issue in my own mind. 

Then I came across the NIV thread here and was amazed about some of the arguments being made by KJVO people. It was like when I was on a thread about 15 years ago and I discovered that Catholics seriously believe that Mary died a virgin. Same sort of thing, actually. 

And when I watched those videos from the White guy, I was simply shocked at the things Gipp was saying in his video. But more importantly, I was being teased with information regarding the source for ALL versions. That Got me digging deeper and it will get me digging deeper for the next few months or so. It really doesn't deserve much more attention than that, for my particular situation.