• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, Adstar said:

Yep pride to the max... Such a superior attitude you have..   I will let you have the final reply.. We all know how proud people must get the final reply in so they can feel they have ""Won""..

Opinions vary. But I'd like to end the deflection and focus on the content of the videos.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

So now, is this thread about the persons, the professional debaters or about the versions of Bibles, languages, or what?

If it is about the individuals that make their living selling passage to nowhere on ship Cruise lines performing endlessly  debates about minute issues of little import, I share only that I find them to be very tiring personalities. They seem to just love the debate for the sake of the debate, and not toward any real enlightenment nor praise of God. They each seem to exhibit pride in themselves and their own efforts at gaining knowledge, even more so than any gaining of knowledge itself. James White not being an exception.

If it is about linguistics that might be interesting to me. I do enjoy the presentations of the various scholars and just plain hard working missionaries that work around the world, such as Wycliff Bible Translators, that are attempting to bring to as many souls as is possible in their own language the Word of God.

9 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes, but who were you listening to on those videos?  Anyone can put out a video these days or post an article.  That says nothing about their credibility on the topic.   When someone is making over-the-top claims like saying that everyone has to learn English if they want to read the true Bible is probably not someone who has any real knowledge on the topic.   

Videos, articles, etc. 

A good example is this:

https://bible.org/article/changes-kjv-1611-illustration

Vs this:

https://rickbeckman.org/log/kjv-1611-vs-1769/

I've said for years that the great thing about the internet is that if one searches and exposes them self to both sides of an issue, the truth trickles to the top every time. Following only one side is poison. In 21st century vernacular we call it a bubble or echo chamber. It's why there is so much strife on the internet.

1 minute ago, Davida said:

I'm not clear..is this a critique of this guy Gipp's arguments - rather then attaching a big negative label upon KJO people in general?     

It's an attack on the argument style of "either you agree with me or you're wrong." And I learned that this KJVO argument can get pretty hot in that area. It became an issue for me when I moved from Seattle to rural KY. I've experienced it.

The sad part is that  it is raw dogma. I don't use that word very often and it must apply. If you believe something to the core of your being and get angry or argue vehemently with anyone who disagrees with you, even though you can't support your position, you are being dogmatic. 

There is a lot of that where I live. I had to leave my first church because once I saw what was going on, I realized I would be violating Titus 3:9-10. I chose to move on.

It's why I'll discuss these issues up to a point, but when it becomes clear that it has broken down and it is just two sides digging in their heels, I move on. 

I went to two KJVO churches before I found one that is a bit more open minded about how God moves through the body of believers. We use and study most versions there. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

Just how many KJV Vs NIV threads have we had on this message forum? They all just end with one side yelling at the other side. No one really wants to learn anything. They just want everyone to agree that they are right. 

8 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

So now, is this thread about the persons, the professional debaters or about the versions of Bibles, languages, or what?

If it is about the individuals that make their living selling passage to nowhere on ship Cruise lines performing endlessly  debates about minute issues of little import, I share only that I find them to be very tiring personalities. They seem to just love the debate for the sake of the debate, and not toward any real enlightenment nor praise of God. They each seem to exhibit pride in themselves and their own efforts at gaining knowledge, even more so than any gaining of knowledge itself. James White not being an exception.

If it is about linguistics that might be interesting to me. I do enjoy the presentations of the various scholars and just plain hard working missionaries that work around the world, such as Wycliff Bible Translators, that are attempting to bring to as many souls as is possible in their own language the Word of God.

It's about the debate and the arguments being made. It is also a great "teaser" that motivates one to bring them self up to speed on the origins and history of the versions of the bible we use today. 

Think of it as Bible History 101. Hopefully many of us that have not already gone past that will be motivated to carry the training forward. It's certainly what it did for me. :)

BTW, I'm with you on the "debate just to debate" thing. I've caught myself getting into the weeds with debate opponents that dig in their heels, and catch myself doing the same. Once I see it, I bow out. 

I take Titus 3:9-10 seriously.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,156
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

This is sad ... I can't participate because I don't have an axe :20: 

24 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Peter Ruckman was a quack and more or less, had a cult following.   I am not sure Sam Gipp ever said that the KJV is the only true Bible in the world.  I would have to have him on video record actually saying that before I would believe it. 

Edited to add:   We also don't know if Gipp said, "yes" in jest and the rest of his answer is omitted.    I know of a preacher that was being interviewed years ago for a local newspaper in my town and he made joke about something he was asked about, but the reporter either purposely or inadvertently related the pastor's words without the context of it being an attempt a humor.  He caught a lot of grief over that. 

Here is Gipp making the claim. It happens right at the beginning. And after a verbose explanation, he is asked the question and answers it point blank at 2:11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=320N_Kz9H0A

19 minutes ago, Davida said:

So essentially it's an accusation against kjo accusing them of saying my way or the highway is what you are saying.  So many threads are started because people are irked at someone else or have an axe to grind.....

I've explained what I meant. You really need to let it go. 

28 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Just how many KJV Vs NIV threads have we had on this message forum? They all just end with one side yelling at the other side. No one really wants to learn anything. They just want everyone to agree that they are right. 

Well, I'm fairly new. I posted because I've not studied this as much as I could have, and I was fascinated by some of the arguments from both sides in an NIV thread. This information in the OP was amazingly exciting for me. I've found another facet of Christianity that I can sink my teeth into. But for many here it may be old news. For them I'm sorry. 

FWIW, when it gets to just arguing, I'll move on. There really have been almost no posts here regarding the content of the video I linked. My goal is to discuss with an open mind. But others may feel differently.