Still Alive

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I was getting involved in a thread here about the NIV and thought I'd refresh myself on some of the information I've read over the last couple of decades regarding which version is correct. What I find interesting is that There are not equivalent groups to the "KJV only" group. There seem to be those that believe that the KJV was handed down by God as His perfect word, and those that believe that all bibles are good, but flawed, since they come from human translation (interpretation) of the original text. 

That sort of "my way or the highway" attitude always raises a red flag. And the big thing about it is, if theirs is the ONLY way, they had BETTER be right.

So, the reason for this post: I came across an awesome video series on this very subject. I've got a long commute and was able to catch three episodes on my way into work this morning as well. 

Here is the first one. Please, if you are going to comment, ad-hominem is not appreciated. i.e. focus on the veracity of what he says rather than what you think of him and his general education.

What's the deal with King James Onlyism Part I

On a side note, I wish I could figure out how to embed Youtube videos here. It's not in any of the formatting choices.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

It's because you aren't supposed to post videos anywhere except the video section

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I was getting involved in a thread here about the NIV and thought I'd refresh myself on some of the information I've read over the last couple of decades regarding which version is correct. What I find interesting is that There are not equivalent groups to the "KJV only" group. There seem to be those that believe that the KJV was handed down by God as His perfect word, and those that believe that all bibles are good, but flawed, since they come from human translation (interpretation) of the original text. 

And the big thing about it is, if theirs is the ONLY way, they had BETTER be right.

So, the reason for this post: I came across an awesome video series on this very subject. I've got a long commute and was able to catch three episodes on my way into work this morning as well. 

Here is the first one.

What's the deal with King James Onlyism Part I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNGa_dRTNMo

..."That sort of "my way or the highway" attitude always raises a red flag." ....  

... "Please, if you are going to comment, ad-hominem is not appreciated. i.e. focus on the veracity of what he says rather than what you think of him and his general education."...

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357

"KJV only" is not a monolith and Sam Gipp does not represent everyone who is KJV only.  Sam Gipp doesn't believe in using Hebrew and Greek and others do.   So you cannot have a reasonable debate on the issue if Sam Gipp's version of that belief is being help up as solely representative of that view.   If this going to be a discussion about Sam Gipp's views on the matter, then you need to change the thread's title to something like James White vs. Sam Gipp.

Edited by shiloh357

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

..."That sort of "my way or the highway" attitude always raises a red flag." ....  

... "Please, if you are going to comment, ad-hominem is not appreciated. i.e. focus on the veracity of what he says rather than what you think of him and his general education."...

Great post... He delivers a baseless ad-hominem attack on KJV believers  and then asks everyone not to do likewise..

""Do as i say not as i do""

Talk about Red Flags..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

A better discussion on this topic can be found on the tube, which also include the man in the series the OP mentioned.   Type the following " KJV only debate "on the youtube search box and you would find an interesting debate on this topic. It is 3hrs and 42 min long and is hosted by John Ankerrberg.  I think you would hear some interesting things there from these learned men.   This debae includes James White, Sam Gipp, Daniel Wallace and others. 

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The My way or the highway perspective is not about the man. It's about an argument style that has no substance. I was referring to no individual. I was referring to an argument style. In a very real way, I was paraphrasing the primary KJVO perspective: It is the only perfect word of God. 

And some advocates even argue that if you are in and raised in a non-english language country, to get the "perfect" word of God, you must STILL use the KJV.

Edited by Still Alive

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 minute ago, Adstar said:

Great post... He delivers a baseless ad-hominem attack on KJV believers  and then asks everyone not to do likewise..

""Do as i say not as i do""

Talk about Red Flags..

Found it a chuckle for the morning, it has been followed by another's demand to change the title. Seems a lot of "commanders" are up early this day. Guess I had better snap to  and be smart about it today, better check my shave for inspection or I'll find myself gigged on report.

Anyway so far the day on here is kinda funny. Got to love the brethren, all of us, God says so.

I think my creator to be more generous to us all, and praise Him for His mercy and grace, than most of us are of each other, self included. Sometimes it is just a laugher, how many demands we make of the other guy ( and gal).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

20 minutes ago, Logan said:

It's because you aren't supposed to post videos anywhere except the video section

I've never seen that sort of thing before. Trying to get used to the site's quirks. Thanks. The first post I made on the site was a question, so I put it in the question section, only to learn that I was not allowed to post to those who responded. 

When in Rome...

• Thumbs Up 2