Understanding the Holy Spirit

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Holy Spirit I pray that you give us seeing eyes, hearing ears, a receptive heart and mind, and a mouth that gives you the glory you so richly deserve. I also ask that you hide me in the palms of your hands so men will know that I'm just a servant that you use for the glory of your name. AMEN

The Holy Spirit is the least understood of the Trinity of God. He is equal to the Father and the Son( Gen. 1:26 ) There is God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son of God, who is also God ( Heb. 1:8) and God the Holy Spirit ( Acts 5:3,4 ). He has a will, intelligence, divine knowledge, sympathy, ability to love, think, speak, see, hear, desire, grieve, and rejoice.

When we become saved the Holy Spirit instantly dwells within us ( Eph. 1:13,14). He comes to dwell in us to help us, and to lift up our Lord Jesus Christ ( John 16 : 8-14 and Heb. 4:12 ), but that is not the end of it. There's a whole lot more.

Developing intimacy and having an understanding of who the Holy Spirit is is crucial if were going to remain strong in the Lord since he is involved the most in a believers life ( John 16:12,14 ). When you start seeking the Holy Spirits help on a daily basis, concerning everything that you do, he will show you mysteries and the secret plans of God for your life ( John 16:13 and Rom. 8: 1-17 ).

Relying on the Holy Spirit is so important that our Lord Jesus Christ didn"t start his ministry until he was baptized in water and the Holy Spirit. Everything he did in life and ministry he did empowered by the Holy Spirit, through the anointing and gifts of the Holy Spirit ( Luke 4:1 and Acts 10:38 ). Even the disciples and other believers depended upon the Holy Spirit for everything ( Acts 13:2,3,9 ; Rom. 9:1 ; and 1Cor.2:13 ). So, if Jesus needed the Holy Spirit, we also need him in our lives.

Sadly, some Christians dismiss or take lightly the power, works, anointing, and gifts of the Holy Spirit with very little thought of the consequences their actions ( Acts 7:51 ; Matt. 12:31,32 ; and Luke 12:10 ). Some don't even understand the sin of grieving  the Holy Spirit . This sin is committed by believers who don't let the Holy Spirit control their lives to the glory of Jesus Christ ( Eph. 4:30-32 ). Also the sin of quenching the Holy Spirit. This sin is committed by Christians when known sin is allowed to go unconfessed ( 1John 1:9 and Isa. 59:1-2 ). The Holy Spirit can be sinned against because he is God, but fortunately for us he's quick to forgive us once we repent. Regardless of how anyone views the gifts of the Holy Spirit the Father sent him to work through us and to help believers until the return of our Lord Jesus Christ ( 1 Cor. 13:8-10 and John 14:12 ).

Today many Christians are totally unaware of all the blessings and benefits that the Holy Spirit provides. As a result of not understanding who they really are in Christ Jesus, many Christians are living defeated, joyless, and unproductive lives in the Lord.

Each of us only has two roads that we can travel on in this life. We can believe that the Lord has a perfect plan for each one of us through the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit living inside of us, or we can choose not to believe by ignoring God and the call that he has placed in our lives.

Anyone who is not saved I ask that you repeat this prayer, or one similar to it. Lord Jesus, I accept you as the Lord and Savior of my life. I repent of all my sins. I believe that you died on the cross for me and was raised up on the third day just as the Bible said you would. Thank you for saving me. AMEN and Amen

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I've been thinking a lot on this topic recently.  Sometimes it is hard to know what God's plan is unless of course a clearly right or wrong choice is before us.  In those other situations where we need God's wisdom,  I wonder how easy it is to think God is moving us in a certain direction when it could be our own wishes or our own thinking..so hard to know I think sometimes.  Maybe it is something I will just get better at distinguishing in time.  For example..so many times I hear of people thinking something is an answer to prayer and then it turns out very badly...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Thinking that one way to discern it is just to really immerse yourself in God's word when you are going through something.  Immerse yourself in Godly Bible studies, music, devotionals so that He can help you discern whether it's your own voice or His...I've been trying to figure out what God wants me to do recently about church.  Do I Visit another church or do I stay at mine.  I am trying to give it to Him and wait but reasons to go or not to go pop into my brain.  And I think that is still me trying too hard to figure it out on my own.  So this morning I listened to a devo on Ephesians 6 and the ladies were discussing standing still.  God seems to be saying to me just stand still and learn more patience....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1

I appreciate this post on the Holy Spirit, tyke. It was interesting to read. It made me realize my own lack of understanding regarding Him. I know mentally that He is part of the Trinity, but it's difficult for me think of Him as a separate part of the Godhead. 

So, can we pray to Him directly? I just don't get it. I thought that the Holy Spirit is the means by which we pray to Jesus or the Father.

In fact, I find the Holy Trinity as a whole to be confusing, but I accept it because that's what I've been taught. It's definitely a mystery to me that I may never understand. I agree with Hikermom. It's sometimes hard to know if it's the Holy Spirit leading us, or just our own minds.

Thanks for sharing this...it definitely inspires reflection. :)