tyke

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

We Christians sometimes have disagreements or conflicts when discussing biblical scriptures , but its how we approach the discussion that makes all the difference ( 2 Tim. 3:16,17 ). The key is not to anger the person or to prove that they are wrong, but to win there friendship and understanding. An attitude like that doesn't come from us alone but from the Lord working through us ( 2Tim. 4:5 ).

The right attitude to have when discussing Christian doctrine is to be humble and take no pleasure in being right and others being wrong. Only giving our Lord Jesus Christ all the glory matters, and it matters more than anything else ( 1Cor. 10:31 ; Gal. 1:5 ; and Rom. 5:2 ).

When we believe someone is in error of scripture we can show them , but with the right attitude and a teachable spirit. There is a good chance that someone can be taught if it's done in love, with the Spirit of Christ without pride, ego, or a personal agenda ( Col. 3: 13 ; Heb. 12: 14-15 )

So often when someone has a different view of scripture they go into these discussions with a sort of " game theory", mentally. The whole thing becomes about who's right and who's wrong rather than building each other up in Christ ( Eph. 4: 15-16 ). The discussion often times goes bad as both parties stew in there own thought's and feeling's of hurt and anger ( Phil. 2:1-7 ). We must remember that we are accountable to God for our actions. We can't control what the other person say's, but we can control how we answer ( Rom. 14: 10-13 ).

We must also remember to pray for the person that we disagree with, and mean it, because the Lord can see the true intensions of our heart ( Matt. 5: 44,45 ).

We can all have differences on scripture, not to prove our point, but to show the kind of love that Jesus showed, because our Lord said that we are to love each other as much as we love ourselves ( John 13: 34,35 and Gal. 5:13 ).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Approaching a discussion of Scripture from the direction of one being the Teacher, and one the person in need of teaching is often just as guilty of causing disputations.  In my opinion, when two mature Believers speak about their differing understandings of a Verse, or passage of Scripture, both must be willing to learn, and both must be willing to respect the others understanding.

The Holy Spirit imparts understanding of Scripture as He will.  One Scripture may have different meanings for 2 or 3, or more Believers.  In my experience, the Holy Spirit imparts the understanding of a Scripture based on what He knows the Believer needs at that point and time in their life.  I would hazard to guess (like me) all here have an understanding of a particular Scripture, and, at some point, read that Scripture anew, and received a far different understanding!  That is from Spiritual growth in my opinion.

The Apostle Paul taught about Believers having different understandings of Scripture based on their Spiritual growth.

God bless.....

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Well good now that that is said let's see what Jesus said about what would occur in teaching others what His Word teaches:

Luke 12:51-53
51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
KJV
Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
KJV

and even though in love and gentleness we speak we can expect this result... 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

Well good now that that is said let's see what Jesus said about what would occur in teaching others what His Word teaches:

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
KJV
Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
KJV

and even though in love and gentleness we speak we can expect this result... 

Actually, enoob, I think the OP was from the outset addressing Christians discussing the word together, whereas your Luke passage is a reference to the word separating believers from those who refuse to, and instead stand opposed to Christ. The context is different, don't you agree?  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

I believe the Above scripture is refering to families that become divided because one of their members becomes a Christian while the others reject the Gospel...  This happened a lot in the early Church within the Jewish nation and within the pagan population because all of the early Christian community where converts and many of them had to leave their family because of it..   In these latter times this still happens but at a much lower rate.. I converted to Chritianity when i was in my early 20's and i know what it is like to be divided from family members because of it..

The Bible does have verses related to the division we see being played out on this forum  ( and every Christian forum i have been involved with )::

1 Corinthians 11: KJV

17 "Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. {18} For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. {19} For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you."

But again we can be divided on topics and express why we have our stance without hating and being bitter towards each other..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

8 hours ago, tyke said:

We Christians sometimes have disagreements or conflicts when discussing biblical scriptures , but its how we approach the discussion that makes all the difference ( 2 Tim. 3:16,17 ). The key is not to anger the person or to prove that they are wrong, but to win there friendship and understanding. An attitude like that doesn't come from us alone but from the Lord working through us ( 2Tim. 4:5 ).

The right attitude to have when discussing Christian doctrine is to be humble and take no pleasure in being right and others being wrong. Only giving our Lord Jesus Christ all the glory matters, and it matters more than anything else ( 1Cor. 10:31 ; Gal. 1:5 ; and Rom. 5:2 ).

When we believe someone is in error of scripture we can show them , but with the right attitude and a teachable spirit. There is a good chance that someone can be taught if it's done in love, with the Spirit of Christ without pride, ego, or a personal agenda ( Col. 3: 13 ; Heb. 12: 14-15 )

So often when someone has a different view of scripture they go into these discussions with a sort of " game theory", mentally. The whole thing becomes about who's right and who's wrong rather than building each other up in Christ ( Eph. 4: 15-16 ). The discussion often times goes bad as both parties stew in there own thought's and feeling's of hurt and anger ( Phil. 2:1-7 ). We must remember that we are accountable to God for our actions. We can't control what the other person say's, but we can control how we answer ( Rom. 14: 10-13 ).

We must also remember to pray for the person that we disagree with, and mean it, because the Lord can see the true intensions of our heart ( Matt. 5: 44,45 ).

We can all have differences on scripture, not to prove our point, but to show the kind of love that Jesus showed, because our Lord said that we are to love each other as much as we love ourselves ( John 13: 34,35 and Gal. 5:13 ).

One thing that is important to remember too is that there are some things about scripture that are non negotiable. You either believe in them or you are not saved. 

But there are things in scripture that are not necessary to believe in to be saved and God doesnt want us to engage in excessive nitpicking like Saturday or Sunday, eating meat or not, believing in the Rapture. You can certainly talk about such things but dont get into rancorous discussions about things that are just not that important.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

Pertaining to this topic these two verses come to mind.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

That is, no man has a right to say what the scriptures, according to his opinion, means. Why? For the prophecy came not in old time [or, at any time] by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. Is how I interpret 2 Peter 1:20. How do we know a prophecy until it has come to pass?

"A workman that needeth not to be ashamed" To me this means knowing your Bible well and being able and capable to answer any and all questions an unsaved person may ask about Salvation and the Bible.

"Rightly dividing the word of truth". To me this says know the context of which it speaks. Whom is this person talking to; saved, unsaved, Jew, Gentile; present person, future generation, past, current, future dispensation, etc. Study to discern the contrasts between statements in order to fully understand the proper divisions of the Bible. 

Yeah tyke, you're absolutely correct about how we should conduct ourselves. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

One can not discern Scripture without reaching an opinion/understanding of the Scripture.  Through prayer, and study, and leaning on the Holy Spirit is the best way I know how to reach an opinion/understanding of Scripture.  If we do not do this, how are we to teach our children?

I also believe we should turn to Scripture, as we should for all things:

Titus 3:2) To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

2 Timothy 2:23)  But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.  24)And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

Philippians 2:14) Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

1 Timothy 3:2)  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

Proverbs 15:1) A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Ephesians 4:15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16)From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

1 Corinthians 3:1) And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.  2I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.3For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Romans 12:10) Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; ... 16) Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.  17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.