• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

12 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I feel I am having so many butting head issue on here because no one seems to want to learn anything. It is like you know your right about some topic. You post that topic on a discussion bored which means people are open to discussing it, but there seems to be no room for discussing. The poster knows they are right in all that they say about the topic and is only posting the topic so that other people join in with agreement with them.  This is not how I think  a discussion bored should be. Thus I think the reason why I have so many issues with other posters at times. No one is listing to anyone else and no one ever considers that maybe they are wrong in their thinking. They just say "this is how it is end of story good bye!" I mean what is the point of all of that? I post topics not because I think I am 100% right, but because I think I could be right, but I want to run this by some other people and see what they have to say about. If they can show me I am mistaken in my thinking then I consider that. But so many topic posted on here are just "I am right and if you disagree with me you disagree with God" type of post. It is like trying to debate the Sunday morning sermon with the pastor while he is preaching it.

Dose anyone else see this going on here? Maybe it is just me? Maybe I need to take some more time off?  

Yes, LK, I DO see it  Closed minds can't learn anything.

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I feel I am having so many butting head issue on here because no one seems to want to learn anything. It is like you know your right about some topic. You post that topic on a discussion bored which means people are open to discussing it, but there seems to be no room for discussing. The poster knows they are right in all that they say about the topic and is only posting the topic so that other people join in with agreement with them.  This is not how I think  a discussion bored should be. Thus I think the reason why I have so many issues with other posters at times. No one is listing to anyone else and no one ever considers that maybe they are wrong in their thinking. They just say "this is how it is end of story good bye!" I mean what is the point of all of that? I post topics not because I think I am 100% right, but because I think I could be right, but I want to run this by some other people and see what they have to say about. If they can show me I am mistaken in my thinking then I consider that. But so many topic posted on here are just "I am right and if you disagree with me you disagree with God" type of post. It is like trying to debate the Sunday morning sermon with the pastor while he is preaching it.

Dose anyone else see this going on here? Maybe it is just me? Maybe I need to take some more time off?  

Sometimes the topic under discussion is really the topic under discussion;  sometimes the topic under discussion is a smoke screen for another topic.  For example, in the NIV teen study bible thread, my impression is that two topics were under discussion.  One was yet another reason why modern versions should not be used.  The second was what type of teaching methods are or are not appropriate for teens or for inclusion in a study bible.  My sense of the dynamics of that thread was that you were discussing one topic and inadvertently falling onto the "wrong" side of the other one without realizing it.

I commend you for going to the Amazon site to find a preview to try to see what was actually in it for yourself. :)  There are those reading your posts that do appreciate such honesty and efforts and respect you for it.  In the long run, you are taking an approach where you will grow, learn, and become a respected wise person that people will come to with questions and concerns.  It takes work, but each question you ask and try to answer (whether you find the answer or not) is more practice at learning and growing.  It's perhaps small consolation at the moment when you end up with a sick feeling in your stomach when not everyone shares that approach. ;) 

Hang in there.  Learn when to walk away from a thread for your own spiritual wellbeing and to avoid wasting your time.  Put your time into reading and responding to spiritually healthy and fruitful threads where you can learn, be spiritually built up,  and can make a difference for someone.   Look at the posters you most respect and learn the most from and work to become like those people.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

3 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I've been considering this issue quite a lot lately. Most believers don't realize it, but even the apostle Paul or the Lord Jesus Christ Himself could post incognito on a topic, and for the most part it would go right passed them and they would begin arguing. The reason is simply that we are not in a place in church history where many have ears to hear. Most just adopt a certain doctrinal line on a subject and then take it upon themselves to become a "defender of the faith." 

But what's usually missing is a combination of humility and genuine scriptural knowledge. The lack of humility makes believers insist on saving face even when they are clearly being disproven, and the lack of genuine scriptural knowledge makes them defensive if someone posts something that contradicts what they've been taught, or if something they post gets challenged. 

Look for mature believers, and interact with them. They are usually easy to spot. Often they are older (though not always), but what you will see is a habitual practice of manifesting respect for others, even during debate. James, Chapter 3 addresses this. The wise man can be distinguished from the foolish by how he behaves, not just what he teaches, which makes how they behave sort of a dead giveaway. I have friends of different persuasions, doctrinally and politically, with whom I very much enjoy discussing things even though we disagree, because I know they are of the right Spirit and even if I am wrong they will not insult me.

Unfortunately, these types of believers are in the minority, but they are around. You just have to take note of people, watch their responses (i.e. their behavior), and learn what to expect. I haven't been here long, but there are certainly a few good ones here I've noticed already. :thumbsup: 

Btw, the proper spelling for "bored," at least the way you are using it, is actually "board." :)  Just thought I'd throw that in there while the context was about being good-hearted. :)

Edited by Hidden In Him
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

Btw, the proper spelling for "bored," at least the way you are using it, is actually "board."

I blame that on auto correct and that my kid is always talking to me when I am trying to type. :rofl:

• Haha 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

Just now, LadyKay said:

I blame that on auto correct and that my kid is always talking to me when I am trying to type. :rofl:

A Ha Ha Ha! I have a cat that sits on my lap, or directly in front of the computer screen. He even likes to lay down near the mouse and then tries to slowly push it out of the way to get my attention. I also have a ongoing feud with auto-correct, but I can't say as I can blame either one of them for my illustrious education in the public school system, LoL. :stong:

It has a way of rearing its ugly head when I least expect it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Gee no, I haven't noticed that at all. ( LOL)  Must be you. 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

When you have done the work ... and it is work! Having not found any Scripture that needs twisting for your work to fit- you become more assured that it is as The Scripture intends... Any time I hold a studied opinion and am presented with a Scripture where that opinion isn't working >I begin again with prayer and study< I want to know what God 'IS' saying to us and it is my only motivation for study... to Know Him and in that alone I Glory in His Word for that is the purpose He has Written it down!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

18 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Happy to say I won the fight with auto-mistake, er, correct. I turned it off. On every device that has it within minutes of first turning it on. Its beyond annoying when you are trying to text someone in a language other than English! Even in English it was just too annoying, of off it goes.

On folks not learning anything: I've seen the Holy Spirit change many "unchangeable" minds over the years, so I've learned to show 'em the scriptures and commit it to the Lord in prayer - then leave it alone. I've had more than one person ask me to for ride to church that said they'd never go a few days, weeks, or months later so I'll leave it in His hands.